Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AWH1979 View Post
    Like any good professor, I'll alow you to figure it out on your own....if you can't, may God have mercy on your soul....pick up a book.
    once again

Where in that definition of racism does the term redskin fit in? Yes skin color is a characteristic of any race but stating the skin color of a race is not racism. If I call someone white or black im now racist?

vCash
    You so miss the point...not worth my time.
    How did I miss the point.
    You claim its racist. A poll showed that 90% of the Native Americans polled think its not

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kbaxter34 View Post
    once again

Where in that definition of racism does the term redskin fit in? Yes skin color is a characteristic of any race but stating the skin color of a race is not racism. If I call someone white or black im now racist?
    I don't want to fight with you, I'm hoping deep down you know it applies. If you don't oh well, what will happen will happen. Let's just get back to talking football, we don't do so well with social issues.

We as a society do not (well at least civilized) reduce groups of individuals based on the color of their skin, we certainly wouldn't have a team called the blacks, or yellow skins, we just wouldn't. It's not tough to reach that conclusion. It wouldn't matter if your polled every single white person and only 3% were offended by the term cracker, it's still racist.

Seriously though, go ahead and respond but let's drop it after that. We have bigger fish to fry right now, like running some cost/benefit scenarios on signing Tim Tebow.

vCash
    [/B].

Here is a shred for you, I found a lot of "shreds" I can keep going all day (your post was filled with fabricated information and as an American I'm more offended that you tried to pass this off as truth):

[I]The Term Redskin

Dear Editor; It was brought to my attention that some were asking if the term "redskin" was really offensive to Indians and that they would like to hear from us on this subject. Well, here you are...I am Blackfoot, Cherokee and Choctaw...and yes, the term is extremely offensive to me. Let me explain why. Back not so long ago, when there was a bounty on the heads of the Indian people...the trappers would bring in Indian scalps along with the other skins that they had managed to trap or shoot. These scalps brought varying prices as did the skins of the animals. The trappers would tell the trading post owner or whoever it was that he was dealing with, that he had 2 bearskins, a couple of beaver skins...and a few scalps. Well, the term "scalp" offended the good Christian women of the community and they asked that another term be found to describe these things. So, the trappers and hunters began using the term "redskin"...they would tell the owner that they had bearskin, deer skins....and "redskins." The term came from the bloody mess that one saw when looking at the scalp...thus the term "red"...skin because it was the "skin" of an "animal" just like the others that they had...so, it became "redskins". So, you see when we see or hear that term...we don't see a football team...we don't see a game being played...we don't see any "honor"...we see the bloody pieces of scalps that were hacked off of our men, women and even our children...we hear the screams as our people were killed...and "skinned" just like animals. So, yes, Mr./Ms. Editor...you can safely say that the term is considered extremely offensive.

In Struggle,
    Tina Holder
    Mesa, Az.
    This is completely false. The real orgin of the term redskin was derived from the vermilion face paint used by Native Americans. It has nothing to do with scalping. You can find the term redskin or red man dating back to the 1500s, well before the 1755 proclamation

vCash
    This is completely false. The real orgin of the term redskin was derived from the vermilion face paint used by Native Americans. It has nothing to do with scalping. You can find the term redskin or red man dating back to the 1500s, well before the 1755 proclamation
    Doesn't matter, he's in a better position to determine what is offensive to him than you are. That's like arguing that the N-word isn't really racist because it's origin was innocent enough...you have to be able to see this, are you being serious?

"****** is a noun in the English language. The word originated as a neutral term referring to black people, as a variation of the Spanish/Portuguese noun negro, a descendant of the Latin adjective niger ("color black").[1] Often used slightingly, by the mid 20th century, particularly in the United States, its usage had become unambiguously pejorative, a common ethnic slur usually directed at people of Sub-Saharan African descent."

vCash
    Oh, and like I do, please provide supporting documentation.

vCash
    I think im just so desensitized to it because I have always heard the name tied to my beloved home town football team since I was old enough to speak. It may or may not have been racist in the 17th century. All I know now is that Redskins refers to the football team in Washington DC. I have never once in my life ever heard anyone use the term redskin in a derogatory manner referring to native americans.

vCash
    Oh, and like I do, please provide supporting documentation.
    The Term Redskin

Dear AWH1979, It was brought to my attention that you think the term redskin refers to scalping. That is incorrect. The real orgin of the term redskin was derived from the vermilion face paint used by Native Americans. It has nothing to do with scalping. You can find the term redskin or red man dating back to the 1500s, well before the 1755 proclamation

Kris Baxter
    Charlotte, NC

was that good enough supporting documentation.

vCash
    I think im just so desensitized to it because I have always heard the name tied to my beloved home town football team since I was old enough to speak. It may or may not have been racist in the 17th century. All I know now is that Redskins refers to the football team in Washington DC. I have never once in my life ever heard anyone use the term redskin in a derogatory manner referring to native americans.
    I get it man, let's hug it out and be done with it. This is another argument that I would love to be wrong on, I just don't think I am which scares me. Believe me, I'm arguing against my interests. Good argument though, at least the two of us can have an intelligent debate.

Or at least I though we could until you had a tantrum.
    Last edited by AWH1979; 01-25-2013 at 11:35 AM.

vCash
    The Term Redskin

Dear AWH1979, It was brought to my attention that you think the term redskin refers to scalping. That is incorrect. The real orgin of the term redskin was derived from the vermilion face paint used by Native Americans. It has nothing to do with scalping. You can find the term redskin or red man dating back to the 1500s, well before the 1755 proclamation

Charlotte, NC

was that good enough supporting documentation.
    Ok, you are going to keep going?....Well, first of all you've missed the point, you read my post incorrectly, and overall lack the ability to digest information.

What you've typed is not only wrong but just plain ignorant. Did I ever state what you just suggested? Please provide a statement in which I did smarty pants....here's a hint, you wont be able to.

thank you. Here is a start, ask me if I think that the term Redskin refers to scalping. I would answer, I don't know but I can tell you some people do.

Oh, and to answer your question, no it wasn't good enough supporting documentation. It did not support your argument and it had a net zero effect in providing value to the debate. Please try again.

Hey, edit your post and take your name out.
    Last edited by AWH1979; 01-25-2013 at 11:45 AM.

vCash
    Ok, you are going to keep going?....Well, first of all you've missed the point, you read my post incorrectly, and overall lack the ability to digest information.

What you've typed is not only wrong but just plain ignorant. Did I ever state what you just suggested? Please provide a statement in which I did smarty pants....here's a hint, you wont be able to.

thank you. Here is a start, ask me if I think that the term Redskin refers to scalping. I would answer, I don't know but I can tell you some people do.
    I was just busting your balls.

You asked for documentation yet your only documentation about redskins=bloody scalp was the bias opinion of one person. I though it was only fair that my bias opinion also count as enough supporting documentation

vCash
    I was just busting your balls.

You asked for documentation yet your only documentation about redskins=bloody scalp was the bias opinion of one person. I though it was only fair that my bias opinion also count as enough supporting documentation
    I know you were...I'm spent. I was busting yours back, I'm actually not even fired up about this. Can we please stop now? I like it so much better when we are angry with InsaneBoost.

vCash
    I know you were...I'm spent. I was busting yours back, I'm actually not even fired up about this. Can we please stop now? I like it so much better when we are angry with InsaneBoost.
    Fine with me. We can go slam him for wanting to trade Orakpo for a 2nd rounder in the other thread...unless of course you agree with him

vCash
    Fine with me. We can go slam him for wanting to trade Orakpo for a 2nd rounder in the other thread...unless of course you agree with him
    No, trading Orakpo for a 2nd rounder is the dumbest thing I've heard, let's get him!

vCash
    This thread has taken a turn for the LULZ. Love it. Keep at it boys.

Redskins | Nationals | Capitals | Wizards| D.C United

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast