Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I agree that its not racist. Its equivalent to someone calling me white or african americans black. I had a native american actually tell me that the name was started by Native Americans who used it to distinguish themselves from the whites who where invading their land.

vCash
    I think the name is fine

vCash
    Racist? No it is not.

"Racist" by definition means: "a person with a prejudice belief that one race is superior to others" (Websters Dictionary).

Here's a few arguments I have heard that came from earlier court rulings on this subject.

1) Since when did "saying" the color of someone's skin become racist? Just because a person talks about a "white" guy or a "black" guy, that doesn't make him a racist. Redskin is no different. It just happens to differentiate some of the ethnic heritage. Names like the Seminoles, Indians, and Braves are actually no different at all.

2) The Redskins are one of the highest revenue NFL teams with millions of fans spanning the globe. The intent of using the name was to celebrate rather than denigrate. If anything, the intent and history has done more to celebrate Native American culture than anything else.

3) There is NOT ONE shred of historical evidence that the word "Redskin" has ever been used in a derrogatory manner to imply that somehow Native Americans are an inferior race.

vCash
    PS. My Step-Father-In-Law is half Cherokee Indian. He is a HUGE Redskins fan and so is his entire family (except for one of his dumbass daughters who became a Cowpie fan just to be an ***).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AWH1979 View Post
    It's racist, I hate that it is but it just is. I honestly can't believe we are still called the Redskins. I'm so torn because it's all I've ever known and I love the Redskins but anyone with half a brain should be able to understand that it is a racist name. I'd love to burry my head in the sand and pretend that it isn't but that would be ignorant.
    See my comment --> post #18.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by coconut View Post
    Here ya go..........

Washington Federals
    Years of existence: 1983-1984
    Owner: Berl Bernhard
    Stadium: RFK Stadium (54,794)
    Colors: Kelly green, black, silver and white (silver, black and white 1984)
    Overall Regular Season Record: 7-29
    Overall Playoff Record: 0-0
    So were called "The Washington Federals" for two years in the 80's?

vCash
    So, if calling Native Americans, "Redskins", is cool. The next time you see one say, "What's up Redskin?". I bet you won't. People don't like being dissed man. It's like a black guy at work coming up to you and saying "What's up pale skin?" That'd annoy me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mattcribbin View Post
    So, if calling Native Americans, "Redskins", is cool. The next time you see one say, "What's up Redskin?". I bet you won't. People don't like being dissed man. It's like a black guy at work coming up to you and saying "What's up pale skin?" That'd annoy me.

LOL

Context. You wouldn't walk up to a black guy and say "What's up blackskin?" or a middle eastern person and say "what's up brownskin?" either.

I come from Native American bloodlines and while I don't claim to be full on Native American, I have family that does/did. Most of them were even Redskins fans.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by justOmazing View Post
    Racist? No it is not.

"Racist" by definition means: "a person with a prejudice belief that one race is superior to others" (Websters Dictionary).

Here's a few arguments I have heard that came from earlier court rulings on this subject.

1) Since when did "saying" the color of someone's skin become racist? Just because a person talks about a "white" guy or a "black" guy, that doesn't make him a racist. Redskin is no different. It just happens to differentiate some of the ethnic heritage. Names like the Seminoles, Indians, and Braves are actually no different at all.

2) The Redskins are one of the highest revenue NFL teams with millions of fans spanning the globe. The intent of using the name was to celebrate rather than denigrate. If anything, the intent and history has done more to celebrate Native American culture than anything else.

3) There is NOT ONE shred of historical evidence that the word "Redskin" has ever been used in a derrogatory manner to imply that somehow Native Americans are an inferior race.
    You aren't a position to make this determination..."Redskin" is widely considered racist, hence the conversation. We may be thin skinned as a society but that's your perception and opinion.

Consider this:

"ProtestsSoon after the name change, Native Americans started writing letters to owner Jack Kent Cooke encouraging him to change the name. Others boycotted Redskins products and protested. At one protest “Native Americans handed the fans redskin potatoes as they entered a Redskins game, suggesting that if the team will not change their name altogether, then they should at least change their mascot to the potato. Many of these events were led by Suzan Shown Harjo of the National Congress of American Indians (NCAI). Redskins owner Jack Kent Cooke responded to these pleas in an interview stating “There’s not a single, solitary jot, tittle, whit chance in the world that the Redskins will adopt a new nickname.”

There was a large protest at the 1992 Super Bowl between the Redskins and the Buffalo Bills. Since the game was held in Minnesota, the area's large Native American population was able to voice their anger over the name. The American Indian Movement’s (AIM) Vernon Bellecourt was one of the main organizers and voices of the event. Before and during the game, approximately 2,000 Chippewa, Sioux, Winnebago, and Choctaw, and other Native Americans and members of the local population protested. Some of the signs they carried read “We are not Mascots”, “Promote Sports not Racism” and “Repeal Redskin Racism”.

and this:

"There is much debate whether the use of the word Redskin is acceptable as a name for a sports team. Clarence Page of the Orlando Sentinel wrote in 1992 “[The Washington Redskins] are the only big time professional sports team whose name is an unequivocal racial slur. After all, how would we react if the team was named the Washington Negroes? Or the Washington Jews? ... It is more than just a racial reference, it is a racial epithet.”

Once again, I hate the idea of a name change however, I struggle with the possibility that the team I love is one of the few sports franchises that uses what some consider to be an offensive name.

I'm not a left wing softy but I am a considerate person.

vCash
    See my comment --> post #18.
    See my post, #24, with actual facts. And here is the entire definition of racisim:

Definition of racism
    noun
    [mass noun]the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races:
    theories of racism•prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one’s own race is superior:

a programme to combat racism

Native Americans seem to feel as though the name is racist.

You sound like one of those guys who likes to say "the south will rise again" sometimes. Open you mind, I love the Redskins too, I love them enough that I want this to go away and if it takes a name change to do it, then so be it.

vCash
    See my post, #24, with actual facts. And here is the entire definition of racisim:

Definition of racism
    noun
    [mass noun]the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races:
    theories of racism•prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one’s own race is superior:

a programme to combat racism

Native Americans seem to feel as though the name is racist.

You sound like one of those guys who likes to say "the south will rise again" sometimes. Open you mind, I love the Redskins too, I love them enough that I want this to go away and if it takes a name change to do it, then so be it.
    Where in that definition of racism does the term redskin fit in? Yes skin color is a characteristic of any race but stating the skin color of a race is not racism. If I call someone white or black im now racist?
    Last edited by kbaxter34; 01-25-2013 at 10:46 AM.

vCash
    Racist? No it is not.

Here is a shred for you, I found a lot of "shreds" I can keep going all day (your post was filled with fabricated information and as an American I'm more offended that you tried to pass this off as truth):

The Term Redskin

Dear Editor; It was brought to my attention that some were asking if the term "redskin" was really offensive to Indians and that they would like to hear from us on this subject. Well, here you are...I am Blackfoot, Cherokee and Choctaw...and yes, the term is extremely offensive to me. Let me explain why. Back not so long ago, when there was a bounty on the heads of the Indian people...the trappers would bring in Indian scalps along with the other skins that they had managed to trap or shoot. These scalps brought varying prices as did the skins of the animals. The trappers would tell the trading post owner or whoever it was that he was dealing with, that he had 2 bearskins, a couple of beaver skins...and a few scalps. Well, the term "scalp" offended the good Christian women of the community and they asked that another term be found to describe these things. So, the trappers and hunters began using the term "redskin"...they would tell the owner that they had bearskin, deer skins....and "redskins." The term came from the bloody mess that one saw when looking at the scalp...thus the term "red"...skin because it was the "skin" of an "animal" just like the others that they had...so, it became "redskins". So, you see when we see or hear that term...we don't see a football team...we don't see a game being played...we don't see any "honor"...we see the bloody pieces of scalps that were hacked off of our men, women and even our children...we hear the screams as our people were killed...and "skinned" just like animals. So, yes, Mr./Ms. Editor...you can safely say that the term is considered extremely offensive.

In Struggle,
    Tina Holder
    Mesa, Az.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proclamation issued in 1755

Given at the Council Chamber in Boston this third day of November 1755 in the twenty-ninth year of the Reign of our Sovereign Lord George the Second by the Grace of God of Great Britain, France, and Iceland, King Defender of the Faith.
    By His Honour's command
    J. Willard, Secry.
    God Save the King
    Whereas the tribe of Penobscot Indians have repeatedly in a perfidious manner acted contrary to their solemn submission unto his Majesty long since made and frequently renewed.
    I have therefore, at the desire of the House of Representatives ... thought fit to issue this Proclamation and to declare the Penobscot Tribe of Indians to be enimies, rebels, and traitors to his Majesty. And I do hereby require his Majesty's subjects of the Province to embrace all opportunities of pursuing, captivating, killing, and destroy all and every one of the aforesaid Indians.

And wereas the General Court of this Province have voted that a bounty.... be granted and allowed to be paid out of the Province Treasury.... The premiums of bounty following viz:

For every scalp of a male Indian brought in as evidence of their being killed as aforesaid, forty pounds.

For every scalp of such female Indian or male Indian under the age of twelve years that shall be killed and brought in as evidence of their being killed as aforesaid, twenty pounds.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by AWH1979; 01-25-2013 at 10:47 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kbaxter34 View Post
    Where in that definition of racism does the term redskin fit in?
    Like any good professor, I'll alow you to figure it out on your own....if you can't, may God have mercy on your soul....pick up a book.

vCash
    You aren't a position to make this determination..."Redskin" is widely considered racist, hence the conversation. We may be thin skinned as a society but that's your perception and opinion.

Consider this:

"ProtestsSoon after the name change, Native Americans started writing letters to owner Jack Kent Cooke encouraging him to change the name. Others boycotted Redskins products and protested. At one protest “Native Americans handed the fans redskin potatoes as they entered a Redskins game, suggesting that if the team will not change their name altogether, then they should at least change their mascot to the potato. Many of these events were led by Suzan Shown Harjo of the National Congress of American Indians (NCAI). Redskins owner Jack Kent Cooke responded to these pleas in an interview stating “There’s not a single, solitary jot, tittle, whit chance in the world that the Redskins will adopt a new nickname.”

There was a large protest at the 1992 Super Bowl between the Redskins and the Buffalo Bills. Since the game was held in Minnesota, the area's large Native American population was able to voice their anger over the name. The American Indian Movement’s (AIM) Vernon Bellecourt was one of the main organizers and voices of the event. Before and during the game, approximately 2,000 Chippewa, Sioux, Winnebago, and Choctaw, and other Native Americans and members of the local population protested. Some of the signs they carried read “We are not Mascots”, “Promote Sports not Racism” and “Repeal Redskin Racism”.

and this:

"There is much debate whether the use of the word Redskin is acceptable as a name for a sports team. Clarence Page of the Orlando Sentinel wrote in 1992 “[The Washington Redskins] are the only big time professional sports team whose name is an unequivocal racial slur. After all, how would we react if the team was named the Washington Negroes? Or the Washington Jews? ... It is more than just a racial reference, it is a racial epithet.”

Once again, I hate the idea of a name change however, I struggle with the possibility that the team I love is one of the few sports franchises that uses what some consider to be an offensive name.

I'm not a left wing softy but I am a considerate person.

Heres some facts

"A poll of American Indians found that an overwhelming majority of them are not bothered by the name of the Washington Redskins.
    Only 9% of those polled said the name of the NFL team is "offensive," while 90% said it's acceptable, according to the University of Pennsylvania's National Annenberg Election Survey, released Friday."

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sport...ans-poll_x.htm

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kbaxter34 View Post
    Heres some facts

"A poll of American Indians found that an overwhelming majority of them are not bothered by the name of the Washington Redskins.
    Only 9% of those polled said the name of the NFL team is "offensive," while 90% said it's acceptable, according to the University of Pennsylvania's National Annenberg Election Survey, released Friday."

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sport...ans-poll_x.htm
    You so miss the point...not worth my time.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast