Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

What do you guys think of our team name?

I personally do feel it's a little racist. I mean, if you're talking to a Native American and they ask you "What's your favorite NFL team?" Would you be comfortable in saying "The Redskins."? I just don't think a sports team's name should make a comment on a people's skin color. The point of this thread is that I think we should re-name our team "The Tomahawks" What do you guys think of that name? I imagine a decal like our spear helmets, but, a cool looking tomahawk. Please don't kill me for this.

vCash
    Some may consider it racist, I say someone was observant. Their skin is red, you know? It's not like we're named the Savages or something.

EDIT: It is kind of racist though.

vCash
    Well..if we are winning.......then it is good.

I've even forgotten the name of the DC team in the World League or whatever it was......I remember they had white uniforms

The Bullets changed to Wizzards......that stunk.
    Last edited by coconut; 01-23-2013 at 05:55 PM.

White Sox & Redskins Forever

vCash
    I think the name might be what's cursing this team. Some Native Americans cursed us outside the stadium when we last won the Super Bowl.

vCash
    I don't really care. For a laugh look up ATOM AND HIS PACKAGE - WASHINGTON REDSKINS. He has a strong opinion on the subject.

My Mock v 1.1
    51st (Second Round) - Amerson CB/FS
    85th (third round) - Bacarri Rambo FS
    119th (fourth) - David Quessenberry, OT/OG
    154th (fifth) - Cornelius Washington, DE/ OLB
    162nd (fifth) - Ray Ray Armstrong, SS
    191st (sixth) - Nick Kasa, TE
    228th (seventh) - Rodney Smith, WR

vCash
    A poll was done a few years back to see if Native Americans even cared about the name and the majority didn't. I have no problem with them changing the name but keep the logo. Theres nothing racist about the logo. I think Dan Snyder had trademarked Washington Warriors back when this was in the courts. Don't know if he still holds that trademark or not

vCash
    Here ya go..........

Washington Federals
    Years of existence: 1983-1984
    Owner: Berl Bernhard
    Stadium: RFK Stadium (54,794)
    Colors: Kelly green, black, silver and white (silver, black and white 1984)
    Overall Regular Season Record: 7-29
    Overall Playoff Record: 0-0

White Sox & Redskins Forever

vCash
    I fell in love with the team in 83 because of the name...(Well that and Riggo)....

I'm a New England boy who, many many generations ago, had full-blood Native American as part of my blood-line....

To me, we honor the Native People of this land with this name/team...

I would be heartbroken if the name changed....but I would not loose my loyalty to this team...

vCash
    Washington Warriors is cool, except there's already basketball team called the Warriors. That's why I thought of the Tomahawks. I think it's a little disrespectful to reduce the ancestors of Native Americans to a decal on a helmet. I doubt it will ever change. But I wonder if it would sort of change our karma.

vCash
    Didn't we win three superbowls as the Redskins?

"Special" Teams

vCash
    If the name is changed, I'd rather they just go back to being the Braves, ie; Washington Braves. I hate the name Warriors people are throwing out, so damn stupid.

Personally though, I don't know how I feel on this. When Native American schools use the name Redskins are their mascot / logo / name, I don't get how the small portion (which it is) tries to say it's racist.

Doesn't make sense.

Redskins | Nationals | Capitals | Wizards| D.C United

vCash
    It's racist, I hate that it is but it just is. I honestly can't believe we are still called the Redskins. I'm so torn because it's all I've ever known and I love the Redskins but anyone with half a brain should be able to understand that it is a racist name. I'd love to burry my head in the sand and pretend that it isn't but that would be ignorant.

vCash
    If the name is ever changed, believe you me. I will buy jerseys with the nameplate as REDSKINS.

Redskins | Nationals | Capitals | Wizards| D.C United

vCash
    Braves is pretty cool.

vCash
    It's not racist at all at. Our culture is so thin skinned and easily rattled that it's embarrassing.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast