Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Panetta opens combat roles to women

Senior defense officials say Pentagon chief Leon Panetta is removing the military's ban on women serving in combat, opening hundreds of thousands of front-line positions and potentially elite commando jobs after more than a decade at war.

The groundbreaking move recommended by the Joint Chiefs of Staff overturns a 1994 rule prohibiting women from being assigned to smaller ground combat units. Panetta's decision gives the military services until January 2016 to seek special exceptions if they believe any positions must remain closed to women.

A senior military official says the services will develop plans for allowing women to seek the combat positions. Some jobs may open as soon as this year. Assessments for others, such as special operations forces, including Navy SEALS and the Army's Delta Force, may take longer.

The official said the military chiefs must report back to Panetta with their initial implementation plans by May 15. The announcement on Panetta's decision is not expected until Thursday, so the official spoke on condition of anonymity.

Panetta's move expands the Pentagon's action nearly a year ago to open about 14,500 combat positions to women, nearly all of them in the Army. This decision could open more than 230,000 jobs, many in Army and Marine infantry units, to women.

In recent years the necessities of war propelled women into jobs as medics, military police and intelligence officers that were sometimes attached — but not formally assigned — to units on the front lines.

Women comprise 14 percent of the 1.4 million active military personnel.

http://news.yahoo.com/ap-sources-pan...-politics.html

Not sure how I feel about this.
    Last edited by b1e9a8r5s; 01-23-2013 at 04:56 PM.

vCash
    Total PR move. Obama admin trying to keep Hilary off the front pages.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justinnum1
    Wade will be a lot better next season now that he got knee surgery. Hate on. - 7/31/2012

vCash
    As a veteran I feel there are a small percentage of females who could do the job and I do mean a very small percentage. I know many people are going to come on here and comment on this with no knowledge of war or how a combat arms unit works but in order for this to work these things need to happen.

1.) physical testing requirements are the same for everyone.
    2.) there should not be separate facilities
    3.) any references and regulation regarding gender, thus any potential lawsuits must be stricken.
    4.) Any and all media reports must treat everyone the same, no references, stories, spotlights etc.. on women.
    5.) Pregnancies are NOT allowed if the unit is in a deployment window, and if the soldier does get pregnant and is unable to deploy they are then discharged from the army honorably if it is warranted.
    6.) Force women to enroll in the selected service.
    Last edited by raiderfaninTX; 01-23-2013 at 05:30 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Longhornfan1234 View Post
    Total PR move. Obama admin trying to keep Hilary off the front pages.
    uh what, you could be right but bad decisions are made frequently in war that result in lives lost.

How many company commanders should be called up to congress when a soldier dies?
    Last edited by raiderfaninTX; 01-23-2013 at 05:22 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by raiderfaninTX View Post
    uh what, she didnt announce this
    Of course; she's too busy getting exposed on the hill.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justinnum1
    Wade will be a lot better next season now that he got knee surgery. Hate on. - 7/31/2012

vCash
    This always grinded my gears. If women want equal everything (and they should get it) then they should be allowed to catch a bullet on the front line like men. It's not like we have a draft. If you want to sign up for the military hat's off to you but you don't get preferred treatment for being female.

Good work Obama, and I mean that 100%. This goes right up there with him getting rid of Don't Ask Don't tell.
    Therefore he doesn't exist
    So poof...vamoose son of a b itch

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by behindmydesk View Post
    This always grinded my gears. If women want equal everything (and they should get it) then they should be allowed to catch a bullet on the front line like men. It's not like we have a draft. If you want to sign up for the military hat's off to you but you don't get preferred treatment for being female.

Good work Obama, and I mean that 100%. This goes right up there with him getting rid of Don't Ask Don't tell.
    but they do get preferred treatment even in the military, outside of easy physical standards it is army regulation that female soldiers be allowed one shower a week. Those rules have to change for this to work.

The marines have a solid policy but the army's are pretty unequal

women 22-26 push up standards

17 to pass
    46 to max

Men 22-26 push up standards
    40 to pass
    75 to max

do you believe a woman who can do 20 push ups at lets say 135 pounds can drag or lift a male who is 200+ pounds with all his gear on? This cannot be just a simple let them all in if they want, there has to be clear standards set for combat arms females.

Does anyone else have a problem with a guy who is about to leave his job making such a massive change?
    Last edited by raiderfaninTX; 01-23-2013 at 05:47 PM.

vCash
    but they do get preferred treatment even in the military, outside of easy physical standards it is army regulation that female soldiers be allowed one shower a week. Those rules have to change for this to work.

Do you believe necessity of having more troops in combat roles played any part in this decision?

I know we're stretched pretty thin around the world, but I do not have any direct experience so I was just curious about what you, Patsfan, and others who served think about it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Schmooze View Post
    Do you believe necessity of having more troops in combat roles played any part in this decision?

I know we're stretched pretty thin around the world, but I do not have any direct experience so I was just curious about what you, Patsfan, and others who served think about it.
    Honestly I think it is a pure political move, I had no problem with gays serving but this is bigger than that IMO. This will have a direct impact on military tactics and the psychological build of our military. I know plenty of women in the service who would agree they should not be allowed to serve on the front line.

I understand medics (I was one) and other support roles, but a female infantry member that is a bit of a stretch. I have served with women that could cut it, we had a female gunner attached to our artillery unit so they are out there, but they need to be tested and vetted.

There are some women (not the majority) who talk a big game and then when those deployment papers come out, boom I got pregnant and I cant deploy. There is a real ugly side to women serving and some of it has to do with weak minded males and some are weak females.

vCash
    They need to make the standards equal across the board and let women compete for these spots. It makes no sense to eliminate someone from competition just because their parts don't dangle. I don't want to hear the "emotion" argument because guess what, all people have emotions and everyone struggles with them.
    Member of the Owlluminati!

vCash
    I see no problem with this at all.
    Guys, Ive known a lot of females in the military,and the "female" ones have Female jobs.

The ones that want to be field mechanics and Infantry? I bet most of them have more testosterone running through them then half the guys in this forum.
    Im not trying to be prejudicial or steretype, but there are some seriously Butch women in the army.
    If they want to fight,let em..

Hillary destroyed the House Republicans today if you guys missed, made then look absolutely foolish.
    By allowing her the forum to look as in control as she did, and make them look so much below her, they all but sewed up 2016 for her, Freakin Rs cant get out of their own way(lol).
    STORK WAS RIGHT!
    Mcfadden is useless

vCash

women 22-26 push up standards

17 to pass
    46 to max

Men 22-26 push up standards
    40 to pass
    75 to max

do you believe a woman who can do 20 push ups at lets say 135 pounds can drag or lift a male who is 200+ pounds with all his gear on? This cannot be just a simple let them all in if they want, there has to be clear standards set for combat arms females.

Does anyone else have a problem with a guy who is about to leave his job making such a massive change?
    Don't they have different standards physical wise for police and fire. Same situation they have to drag a 200 lb man. It's fine throw them on the front line.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stephkyle7 View Post
    The ones that want to be field mechanics and Infantry? I bet most of them have more testosterone running through them then half the guys in this forum.
    Im not trying to be prejudicial or steretype, but there are some seriously Butch women in the army.
    If they want to fight,let em..
    If a woman is strong enough to meet the requirements, odds are she won't be nearly as fast and agile as she needs to be.

A woman who is fast and agile enough likely won't meet the strength requirements.

You can't just ignore biology because you want to jump on some sort of "you go girl" bandwagon.

Quote Originally Posted by behindmydesk
    Don't they have different standards physical wise for police and fire. Same situation they have to drag a 200 lb man. It's fine throw them on the front line.
    The thing is, it's not fine that they did it in the fire department.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERwzqvs7vvU

vCash
    Well, according to Wiki the following countries allow women to fulfill combat roles in their armed forces - Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Italy, Germany, Norway, Israel, Serbia, Sweden and Switzerland. To be fair, only Israeli women from this list will have had any actual 'combat' experience, but it seems to work for them. It's also a very smart and positive PR move for this administration. If women soldiers really want this, why not let them?

Hillary played the Tea bagger goons brilliantly. She is so going to walk it in '16.

vCash
    1.) physical testing requirements are the same for everyone.
    2.) there should not be separate facilities
    3.) any references and regulation regarding gender, thus any potential lawsuits must be stricken.
    4.) Any and all media reports must treat everyone the same, no references, stories, spotlights etc.. on women.
    5.) Pregnancies are NOT allowed if the unit is in a deployment window, and if the soldier does get pregnant and is unable to deploy they are then discharged from the army honorably if it is warranted.
    6.) Force women to enroll in the selected service.
    I'm with you on all of this.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast