Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Hawks Attendance

How bad is it? Does it take away from the experience at Phillips Arena?

vCash
    In the bottom half of league, partly because we don't have a superstar player or much winning tradition, but when the building is full (playoffs, certain marquee matchups), it gets as loud as any I've been in.

vCash
    If we added Dwight alone, this would change...now both Howard and Paul while resigning Smith....well, you know

vCash
    Do people in the city really care about the team? Honestly looking through their attendance figures so far this season, they've had numerous games at just over 10,000

vCash
    People care about the team but 1. until very recently the owners showed very little care for the team and 2. the public transportation in Atlanta is lackluster, almost anybody who wants to go to a game has to drive.

It doesn't justify a low attendance some games, just explains some of it. Hopefully, we can make a splash this offseason and Philips will be louder and more full all of next year.

vCash
    This is still a playoff team, getting less fans than the Bobcats

vCash
    ^The fact that it's a playoff team doesn't really matter because, first and foremost, the NBA is a star-driven league. More than half the teams (16 of 30) get into the playoffs every year, so it's not much of an accomplishment unless you can make a deep run. But the teams that have marquee players (and real winning tradition) are the ones with great attendance no matter what their record is. The exception is a few teams in smaller markets where there is no competition for entertainment dollars -- Portland, Utah, etc have good attendance.

Another factor is that unlike most major American cities, Atlanta is a transient town. Almost no one who lives here was actually born here, so those people have zero connection with the local teams. And if there are no star players, those "potential fans" have no reason to buy tickets to Philips. You need a star to get any national TV exposure, that's just how the league markets itself under David Stern.

And finally, the track record of bad ownership and front office mistakes has cost them fan support more than anything. The last superstar who played for the Hawks was traded away nearly 20 years ago at midseason (http://www.nytimes.com/1994/03/26/sp...ue.html?src=pm) when they had the best team in the Eastern Conference. That was the last time they had a roster with a legitimate chance to win the championship (http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/ATL/1994.html) and their front office threw it away with that mid-season deal. Decisions like that one (and countless others) completely turned off a lot of local fans, most of whom never came back.

If the Hawks landed a superstar (or two) and finally became a real contender, instead of just being playoff fodder, then attendance would certainly go up. But until then, most objective people view the Hawks as a franchise that is good enough to get into the playoffs but never good enough to threaten for the title. Even the most die hard Atlanta sports fans are tired of wasting money on teams that are not serious about winning championships -- the local pro teams have combined to win only one championship in over 120 seasons of play. People are sick of being the butt of sports jokes for just making the playoffs only to watch them fail year after year, while other teams actually make blockbuster deals and lift the trophies.
    Last edited by Bravo95; 01-26-2013 at 07:20 PM.

vCash
    ^good points...

vCash
    ^^ Very well written 95. That's exactly what happened. After that happened to Nique, I became a Magic fan. I liked Penny Hardaway, Shaq, Dennis Scott, Nick Anderson and the gang anyway. It was a shame, because Nique is my all-time favorite player. Loved that team with Malone, Willis, Webb, Nique....Hawks ended up with Steve Smith and Christian later but still never gained back that strong team. I hate the NBA anymore, where the few and far between stars all get together on teams I hate like NY, LA and MIA. I like Durant and OKC now.
    1991 Lost WS to Twins 4-3
    1992 Lost WS to Blue Jays 4-2
    1993 Lost NLCS to Phillies 4-2
    1996 Lost WS to Yankees 4-2 (led 2-0)
    1997 Lost NLCS to Marlins 4-2
    1998 Lost NLCS to Padres 4-2
    1999 Lost WS 4-0 to Yankees
    2000 Lost NLDS 3-0 to Cardinals
    2001 Lost NLCS to Diamondbacks 4-1
    2002 Lost NLDS 3-2 to Giants
    2003 Lost NLDS 3-2 to Cubs
    2004 Lost NLDS 3-2 to Astros
    2005 Lost NLDS 3-1 to Astros
    2010 Lost NLDS 3-1 to Giants
    2012 Lost NLWC 1-0 to Cardinals
    2013 Lost NLDS 3-1 to Dodgers

vCash
    ^Steve Smith was good, but I couldn't stand Laettner from his Duke days so I wasn't a fan of acquiring him either. He had one good year here then fell off a cliff. Same with Glenn Robinson, I always felt like he was the guy holding back those Milwaukee Bucks teams, then we go out and trade for him? Terrible. Like I said, I know people who became permanent fans of their "2nd team" like the Knicks, Pacers, Sixers, etc and just never came back.

vCash
    It was a shame, because Nique is my all-time favorite player. Loved that team with Malone, Willis, Webb, Nique....Hawks ended up with Steve Smith and Christian later but still never gained back that strong team. I hate the NBA anymore, where the few and far between stars all get together on teams I hate like NY, LA and MIA. I like Durant and OKC now. ?
    Decrease your exam stress by using our latest pass4sure review and best quality COMPTIA and Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) . We provide with 100% pass guarantee along with wikipedia and selftestengine.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Getting UGGLA View Post
    I hate the NBA anymore, where the few and far between stars all get together on teams I hate like NY, LA and MIA. I like Durant and OKC now.
    I don't have a "2nd team" but I follow Kevin Love's career, as he is my favorite non-Hawk (would love for it to all come together and just have him on the Hawks ).

McGOAT