Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    vCash
    Neither will sign extensions anyway so the point is moot.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    Frankly, I think the Nats can afford to sign both guys long-term. Sit down with Scott Boras (who represents both guys) and work out the details. If the Nats have both guys, they should be competitive for a long time, so that should keep him happy, and them.
    By the way, he also represents Werth, Danny Espinosa, Anthony Rendon and Soriano, so maybe a group contract could be worked out?
    Boras doesn't care if the team is competitive, he just wants to make his money.

There is no group contract or discounts. Boras's number 1 priority is to get the most money possible for each of his clients, not cut teams a discount.
    -

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Neither will sign extensions anyway so the point is moot.
    Sorry about your mets.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VRP723 View Post
    Why would someone set up for FA at 25 sign an extension when he could force a bidding war for his services right as he's entering his prime?
    Right! Hope LA gets an nfl team, after loosing two.

Dmac is offline Moderator Cullen Bohannon
    vCash
    I think both will stay in Washington. If I only had to sign one though it was be Strasburg. #1 starters are very hard to find. Great pitching beats great hitting. If Harper was to leave they could replace him with a few other hitters like the Mariners did when they traded Griffey and still be good and make up for his production. You can't really replace a dominant starter though. Once you make it to the playoffs pitching is everything. I would rather have Strasburg pitching twice a series then Harper getting 4 abs each game.

vCash
    Priority is always the position player over the pitcher if all things are equal.

But all things are not equal here.

Harper won't sign anything that buys out any free agency. He is going to chase the dollars I would assume and will be a very young free agent.

Strasburg you don't go more than 5 years for in any deal, and there is no need until next off-season to address it.

vCash
    A little TJS would never scare me off and Strasburg's efficiency is absolutely tremendous. I'd rather throw a mega deal at him, even if he's quite a bit older.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ruckus16969 View Post
    Strasburg first cause he is a year closer to FA. THEN lock up Harper. Unless they can get them both. They should be trying to lock them both up this year
    Boras is agent for both.. That wont happen... How often do Boras clients resign with drafting teams without hitting FA? I cant remember when.. Only one I could find was Jared Weaver..

vCash
    If the Nats offered 7/200 to stay, I think Boras might just say **** it. But yeah.

There's no way Harper gets locked unless you're talking 30 per IMO, that's just how I see it shaking out.

vCash
    The Nats owner could afford both, but as stated Boras clients hit FA. Both are phenomenal talents, no chance Boras let's either one sign an extension when both will probably get record deals.

To answer the question, I would try to sign Strasburg first because he is closer to free agency.

vCash
    to me, its harper no question.

vCash
    Didn't Harper say he wants to be one of those guys who spends the entirety of his career with one team? I mean, he knows that Boras is going to set his family up for eons so he's in the unique position of already being able to care about his legacy and winning championships. I'm sure the thought of retiring as the GOAT with multiple WS rings is a more compelling reason for him to play baseball than to lead a franchise to bankruptcy.

As such, the Nats should lock him up while they're still good before he gets cold feet in the case they can't maintain their success. Also throwing in the fact that he's a hitter, 20 years old, the face of the franchise, and a baseball icon makes it a no-brainer to lock him up before Strasburg.
    Last edited by roylikeswaffles; 01-24-2013 at 03:05 AM.

vCash
    Broas will make each go year to year, or sign a deal until their arb deals are done....each will hit free agency with Boras as their agent.

vCash
    Harper first.

It's important for Strasburg to demonstrate he can make 30 starts a year before someone starts guaranteeing him big money.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Broas will make each go year to year, or sign a deal until their arb deals are done....each will hit free agency with Boras as their agent.
    A guaranteed deal through the arbitration years puts guaranteed money in the player's and the agent's pockets. I could see Boras trying to negotiate a muklti-year deal for Strasburg since he is still an injury risk.
    Last edited by Dugmet; 01-24-2013 at 07:51 AM.
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

Knowing the overall *shape* of an idea, argument, situation requires as many facts, models, opinions as you can take/make to see a whole.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Priority is always the position player over the pitcher if all things are equal.

But all things are not equal here.

Harper won't sign anything that buys out any free agency. He is going to chase the dollars I would assume and will be a very young free agent.

Strasburg you don't go more than 5 years for in any deal, and there is no need until next off-season to address it.
    Yep, I agree...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast