Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Priority Signing FIRST Harper Or Strasburg?

If you had to pick between both for a long term deal, who would it be-either Strausburg or Harper? Who is more important long term in your opinion? I don't think the Nationals could afford both. I'm guessing they can sign one of them. But the question who would you offer an extension to first? I personally think Bryce leaves and goes some place else and the nationals either trade him during that year knowing he isn't coming back or they get a 1st round compensation pick if he signs with another team(??). What do you see happening?

vCash
    nats can and will afford both
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 11 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals (May 2014)

vCash
    My boy HARPER

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinstripe power View Post
    nats can and will afford both
    How can they afford both? The nats don't have a rich owner like the tigers (whose the richest I think).

vCash
    Btw it's Strasburg, not Strausburg. A lot of people make that mistake

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lovesports443 View Post
    How can they afford both? The nats don't have a rich owner like the tigers (whose the richest I think).
    Doesn't Ted Lerner own the Nationals?

I know he is 88 but his son Mark is one of the principal owners of the team too and the family itself is worth 3.9 billion dollars.

If that's the case money is not an issue, they should be able to re-sign both.

vCash
    jayson werth

vCash
    They can sign them both, that's a possible decade long cornerstone.

I can't answer that till after this season. I want to see if Harper becomes the Golden Goose and develops and see Strass pitch an entire season, which I think won't be a problem by if I'm gonna give someone 200 mill I'm gonna do my due diligence

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckwheat View Post
    jayson werth

vCash
    Harper's not gonna sign an extension when he's looking at FA at 25. Maybe you can get Strasburg to sign.

Coming soon to a TKRO stadium near you

vCash
    Nobody is answering the question so I'll give it a try. I guess I'd rather lock up Harper because of Strasburg's injury problems in the past and the fact that he is 4 years younger.

But Strasburg may be the best pitcher in the MLB in 5 years if he stays healthy, and I can't say Harper will be a top 3 position player with complete confidence. So it's a tough call who would be first priority. Luckily they don't have to worry much about either I wouldn't think.

They should've tried to give Harper a rookie Longoria-esque deal. Now it's probably too late.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VRP723 View Post
    Harper's not gonna sign an extension when he's looking at FA at 25. Maybe you can get Strasburg to sign.
    Great analysis. I guess the nats owner doesn't have that much to offer him a contract huh?

vCash
    Frankly, I think the Nats can afford to sign both guys long-term. Sit down with Scott Boras (who represents both guys) and work out the details. If the Nats have both guys, they should be competitive for a long time, so that should keep him happy, and them.
    By the way, he also represents Werth, Danny Espinosa, Anthony Rendon and Soriano, so maybe a group contract could be worked out?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    Frankly, I think the Nats can afford to sign both guys long-term. Sit down with Scott Boras (who represents both guys) and work out the details. If the Nats have both guys, they should be competitive for a long time, so that should keep him happy, and them.
    By the way, he also represents Werth and Soriano, so maybe a group contract could be worked out?

I was curious how the compensation draft pick thing works. So if straus or harp sign with another team, does that team have to give up a first round pick or if both or one doesn't want to come back wouldn't it be smart for the nats to trade one or both of them if that does happen?

vCash
    Strasburg first cause he is a year closer to FA. THEN lock up Harper. Unless they can get them both. They should be trying to lock them both up this year

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast