Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Which team should I root for?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Panthers

3 33.33%
  • Falcons

5 55.56%
  • Giants

1 11.11%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Panthers, Falcons or Giants?

I'm from Ireland and I've been watching the NFL every Sunday for years without having a true team to support. Sure, I might root for one team in one game and have certain teams I prefer but I've never quite supported a team like one might with a Premier League team here. Thats what I want to change. I know threads like this are probably way too overused but I do believe that they can make a huge difference, after all I am looking for a team to call my own for the rest of my life!

The difference is, though, that I am looking beyond the NFL. I've got an intention of supporting every team in whatever city I choose. That means going with the NBA and nearby college program that accompanies the NFL team in an ideally nice city that is easy enough to get to from here in the UK/Ireland. After a lot of hard choices and some personal ties I've narrowed down my search to these three:
    Carolina Panthers - Led by a young, talented quarterback in Cam Newton. Nice stadium. Looks like a pretty nice city too. The Bobcats are struggling in the NBA but have some potential with Kemba and they do play in a terrific venue. Clemson would be a great college team to support nearby
    Atlanta Falcons- Very exciting team. Dome seems to get pretty loud. Hawks are a fun team to watch but I have concerns about their horrible attendance. A whole heap of SEC/ACC teams to root for within a 1-3 hour radius
    New York Giants - Lot of history and tradition. Stadium is brand new. Knicks are an elite NBA team with a superstar in Melo and they play in the famous MSG. Concerns are that there are too many teams in New York that the Giants aren't quite as special in the city. Also lack of great college programs nearby. Syracuse and Rutgers are good from time to time. I suppose I would think of supporting Notre Dame because of their large presence in the city.

Any feedback would be welcomed. Help me out, Thanks!

vCash
    where do you live? pick which ever will be on tv the most so you can watch them
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    Well I live in Ireland and I wouldn't necessarily know which team is on TV most. It's usually just the big games

vCash
    Is it true that the Atlanta sports fans are pretty terrible? Can the same be said for Charlotte?

vCash
    Stadium appears to be one of your factors.

Pick the Lions so you can jump bandwagons every October.

"We have been watching and waiting, but I wouldn't say we intend to continue to do that. I think you watch and wait to try and assess a situation and act accordingly. It might involve more waiting. It might involve moving in one direction or another. We've done plenty of watching and waiting. If we can move in a particular direction, we might do that."

Sandy Alderson: 2011.

vCash
    Anyteam but the giants.. Youll turn into a better than everyone else type of person in no time rooting for them

19 Rec - 329 Yards -2 TD

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cwick925 View Post
    Anyteam but the giants.. Youll turn into a better than everyone else type of person in no time rooting for them
    I disagree. I think he should be a Giants fan. Every team has their fair share of crazy irrational homers that everyone, even their own fanbase, hates. It just so happens that the Giants fans who are like that joined this site. If this guy becomes a Giants fan maybe he'll bring some balance to the forum.

vCash
    ANYONE but the Falcons

Cameron Jordan is awesome

12.5 sacks and this http://instagram.com/p/jfs5DemKo3/

vCash
    Giants are probably the most stable and well run of the three, with ATL not far behind. But Carolina is a nice upstart team on the rise if they get the defense fixed.
    Manchester City - Baltimore Ravens - Baltimore Orioles - Brooklyn Nets

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gridiron&Hoops
    Is it true that the Atlanta sports fans are pretty terrible? Can the same be said for Charlotte?
    College sports are a bigger deal in the southern U.S. so I guess you have to consider that. But here's the deal: Aside from maybe Cleveland, no other major sports market has dealt with more tough losses and bad ownership over the last 30-40 years than Atlanta/Georgia sports fans, so the natives are always more negative about the local teams and cautious to really believe "this is their year" than most other cities would. In the last calendar year alone:

- The Hawks were eliminated in a playoff because of a missed free throw in a final seconds of a game.
    - A few months later, the Braves were eliminated in one game playoff in part due to a controversial umpire ruling.
    - Then the Georgia Bulldogs finished five yards short from reaching their first national championship in 30 years
    - And finally, we saw the Falcons came up about 10 yards short from reaching their first Super Bowl in 15 years.

I am from here, and will love these teams until I'm in the grave, but I can't lie to you by saying it's easy being a fan of them. If winning and bragging are what matter most to you, you might be better off with the Giants since their fans are usually knowledgeable and their team has much better luck in big moments. Teams like the Falcons will continue being underdogs and doubted until they actually get it done.
    Last edited by Bravo95; 01-23-2013 at 08:47 PM.

vCash
    Panthers or Falcons and stick around on the forum so their fan bases are represented around here a little more. If I was just starting out and picking between the 3, I'd pick the Panthers. Newton and Kuechy are two great young pieces.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ring91013144043 View Post
    I If this guy becomes a Giants fan maybe he'll bring some balance to the forum.
    the same can be said if a few Steelers fan leave.

"We have been watching and waiting, but I wouldn't say we intend to continue to do that. I think you watch and wait to try and assess a situation and act accordingly. It might involve more waiting. It might involve moving in one direction or another. We've done plenty of watching and waiting. If we can move in a particular direction, we might do that."

Sandy Alderson: 2011.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo95 View Post
    College sports are a bigger deal in the southern U.S. so I guess you have to consider that. But here's the deal: Aside from maybe Cleveland, no other major sports market has dealt with more tough losses and bad ownership over the last 30-40 years than Atlanta/Georgia sports fans, so the natives are always more negative about the local teams and cautious to really believe "this is their year" than most other cities would. In the last calendar year alone:

- The Hawks were eliminated in a playoff because of a missed free throw in a final seconds of a game.
    - A few months later, the Braves were eliminated in one game playoff in part due to a controversial umpire ruling.
    - Then the Georgia Bulldogs finished five yards short from reaching their first national championship in 30 years
    - And finally, we saw the Falcons came up about 10 yards short from reaching their first Super Bowl in 15 years.

I am from here, and will love these teams until I'm in the grave, but I can't lie to you by saying it's easy being a fan of them. If winning and bragging are what matter most to you, you might be better off with the Giants since their fans are usually knowledgeable and their team has much better luck in big moments. Teams like the Falcons will continue being underdogs and doubted until they actually get it done.
    Cant be that bad having all your teams playing meaningful games until the end of the year in all four sports.

Not Even Fair #BTFD

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UofAZ420 View Post
    Cant be that bad having all your teams playing meaningful games until the end of the year in all four sports.
    It makes every loss year after year that much more painful. We stand by our teams though, more than fans of many other cities can say.

Also, the Falcons and Panthers are much better to talk football with because we have relatively small fanbases(on here) and the vast majority of our posters are knowledgable and sensible.

Giants have a lot of good fans and a lot of bad fans.

vCash
    not the giants so you don't have to associate with NYSPROTS98
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast