Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: Pau Gasol?

vCash

Lightbulb Pau Gasol?

Los Angeles Lakers: 17-24, 3rd in Pacific Division, $29 million in the tax

Off-limits: Kobe Bryant

You canít trade Kobe without his consent, he makes $27 million a year, and the thought of seeing Bryant in another jersey for Lakers fans is sickening. Heíll play his massive contract out. As for everyone else? Given the teamís performance this season, itís hard to imagine anyone else is untouchable.

Most likely to be dealt: C Pau Gasol ($19 million/2 years)

Notice how I listed Gasol as a center? Thatís because he is one, and thatís how opposing teams will view him as a potential acquisition. The Gasol-Howard combo should have been deadly, but itís a defensive combo thatís far too slow to defend anything well. Pair them with a slow, incapable perimeter defender in Nash and an aloof off-ball defender in Bryant, and youíve got the 20th ranked defense in the league. Will moving Gasol fix all of that? No. But getting someone who can actually move a bit defensively and stretch the defense in exchange for the scapegoat seems like a course of action the Lakers might take.

Players to target: PF Ersan Ilyasova, C Samuel Dalembert, SF Luc Richard Mbah a Moute

The Bucks should be the first team on speed dial for the Lakers. They have a stretchy 4 in Ilyasova who is a career 36 percent 3-point shooter, a good shotblocking center who is buried on the bench in Dalembert, and a really good individual defender who can guard just about anyone on the floor in Mbah a Moute. If those pieces donít fit, Mike Dunleavy is an ace perimeter shooter and Beno Udrih is a solid backup point guard on an expiring deal. Gasol would add the low-post scoring the Bucks desperately need ó something that might finally vault them off the treadmill of mediocrity. The Lakers could use the depth and plus defenders, but more importantly, the tax relief the expiring deal of Dalembert or Udrih would provide next season. I know the TV deal was huge and the Lakersí pockets run deep, but the incredibly punitive repeater tax will hurt them down the line. They canít keep this up.

Chances of a deal: Very High

The pitchforks are out. Lakers fans donít take too kindly to losing, and Dwight HowardĎs future with the franchise is at stake. Now is not the time to sit back and do nothing.
    http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...ific-division/

If Ersan strings together more games like last couple night then he's almost off limits.

vCash
    http://www.sportsradio1250.com/topic...udioId=6208700

Sparky starts out the show with the Bucks win. Then goes straight to this article. Then he mentions a few times this isn't a real offer just a trade idea from a beat writer. But then he goes on taking calls. A ton of fans rather keep Ersan. After few calls then Sparky feels like he's only on in Milwaukee that wants Ersan dealt. Cause ya figure Ersan fans only come out when he string a couple great games together. But beyond that he's single digits other wise and not worth $8M per and still would have him another 4 years after this season. Then he be holding Henson back.

Then one caller agrees with him to trade Ersan. Then a caller said on espn trade machine Ersan, Dalembert for Gasol straight up works. Cause a few didn't like the idea of Moute or Beno in the deal. Some fans are not sure if he would pout here and how bad his knees are either. But was a beast in the Olympics. Gasol is a great passer and rebounder and can score in the post which we sorely lack.

Then Ersan after the show on NBA-TV was chatting everyone was passing and he got into the flow of the game and what not. Then later Sparky talks about all star game. Then he mentions that TNT Barkley and Kenny both agree that Jennings should be in the all star game.

Then later in the show they play the tape of Boylan and Jennings and Dunleavy talking about last nights win. Then they discuss there's a chance Howard might be dealt cause Lakers worried he doesn't resign with them. Mentions Nets are working on trading for him. While Mavs and Hawks have tons of cap to sign him this summer.

Then Sparky reads off emails. Saying Ersan is only 25 supposedly while Gasol is old. Other caller suggests trading Ellis to Blazers for Matthews.

vCash
    Only thing about trading Ersan then we don't have a stretch 4 when Gasol is in at center. Unless Henson starts to go ham. We all know Moute been sneaking in a 3 once in a while but not our ideal deep threat shooter. But pick and roll with Gasol would be great. Could have Ellis driving the lane for a fake lay up then a quick dish to Gasol. I could see Ellis and Jennings assist numbers going up with Gasol in the paint. But I could see Gasol double teamed easily if our outside shooters are clanking.

vCash
    The Howard news Sparky was talking about on the radio. Reason why Nets are back in Howard rumors. Even though I just found a article saying Lopez is safe.

Dwight Howard's unhappiness with his role in coach Mike D'Antoni's offense may eventually force the Los Angeles Lakers to explore trading the All-Star center, ESPNLosAngeles.com reported Tuesday.

The website, citing anonymous sources, reported that Howard has recently hinted at his dissatisfaction as well as the possibly not re-signing with the Lakers in the offseason.

Dwight Howard trade rumors: The Lakers may need to unload their All-Star center if he remains unhappy with his situation in LA. (AP Photo)

ESPNLosAngeles.com reported that the Lakers have rejected trade inquiries about Howard and are reluctant to make any major moves before the NBA's Feb. 21 trade deadline. LA management, in particular VP Jim Buss, believes it can "make a great argument" to convince Howard to stay, according to ESPNLosAngeles.com.

TNT analyst Steve Kerr: It's 'not clicking' for Lakers

Howard told reporters after the Lakers' loss to the Chicago Bulls on Monday that the team needs to play "inside-out," an indication that he believes he isn't getting the ball enough. Howard had five field-goal attempts in 30 minutes against Chicago.

"There's nothing I can do," Howard was quoted as saying. "Just continue to play. Not get frustrated. As hard as it is, I can't get frustrated."

Star guard Kobe Bryant said Monday that he has passed up shots to accommodate Howard.

"I've tried to go out of my way to get (Howard) the ball," Bryant told Yahoo! Sports' Adrian Wojnarowski. "Sometimes I end up looking like an idiot, because I get up in the air, I've got a shot, but I try to find him. But he thinks I'm going to shoot, so his back is turned. I'm trying to think about getting him the ball a lot—take care of him as much as I possibly can. It takes me out of rhythm a little bit, but I'm fine with that. If that's going to help our team, I'm more than willing to do that."

Bryant was less subtle than Howard in assessing the offense.

"Obviously, this isn't working," Bryant told Yahoo! Sports. "We need to go back to basics. We need to put guys in positions to do what they do best. We need to strip it down. (Point guard) Steve (Nash) is best in pick-and-roll. (Forward) Pau (Gasol) is best in the post. I'm best from the free-throw line extended down. Let's go back to basics."

LA is 17-24 at the midpoint of its season and 12th in the Western Conference.
    http://aol.sportingnews.com/nba/stor...st-not-working

vCash
    Oh yeah Sparky didn't have Woelfel on the phone for the post game show. Cause Woelfel was busy at Racine Journal Times writing up the Ray Allen/Bogut article. But Sparky mentioned that Woelfel thinks we wont make any big moves and stand pat.

vCash
    Oh another tid bit I forgot to mention from Sparky's post game show that Lamb was called back from D-league after two games. He said that didn't make sense unless a trade is about to go down.

vCash
    I thought I heard the Lakers were more interested in expiring contracts.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wissportsfan View Post
    I thought I heard the Lakers were more interested in expiring contracts.
    Yeah I heard that too. But the article was from a beat write. No actual real news other then Gasol has been known to be on the trading block. Bucks do have expiring deals though. Dalembert, Beno, Dunleavy, Daniels, Przybilla. Our bench would be weak without Dunleavy and Beno though.

vCash
    I know in the past I've been one to say Gasol would be interesting. I'm not sure I still think he'd be a fit. If he's healthy and able to play at a high level for a couple years, then I'd be intrigued. But at this point, I don't think he'll be able to stay healthy for an extended period of time, so I'd rather not give up useful players for him at this point.

vCash
    I believe Gasol would guarantee us getting home court in the 1st round, and if we could get him without trading Ellis then we could make some serious noise in the playoffs.

vCash
    idk about gasol id rather leave it to ilyasova n brooks
    This thread right here is why i stay out of the nba main forum on psd lol
    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...am-for-melo:D;)

vCash
    Gasol has a trade kicker as well.

vCash
    Option 2: Trading Gasol

As we mentioned, there aren't a whole lot of teams willing to double down on Gasol at this point and pay $19.3 million next season to make a playoff push this year. But that doesn't mean there are no teams. There are some potential trade partners if the Lakers decide Gasol has to go.

Minnesota has long been intrigued by the idea of Ricky Rubio and Gasol playing together, and Gasol might give the Timberwolves the boost they need to get back into the playoff hunt. But while Minnesota would be able to make the money match with some combination of Andrei Kirilenko, Nikola Pekovic and Luke Ridnour (who D'Antoni has always coveted), the Lakers lack the picks and other assets to make it worth the Wolves' while. It's hard to imagine a Minny deal working without Kevin Love, but he's 1) Out until at least March after hand surgery, and 2) Too good to trade for Gasol under these circumstances, one would think.

Toronto is perhaps the most realistic landing spot for Gasol, given the uncertainty in the organization about whether Andrea Bargnani will ever develop into a star there. Bargnani wouldn't have to be a star in LA. He would simply have to stand at the 3-point line and make shots, a La Howard's former teammate in Orlando, Ryan Anderson. Toronto also has a point-guard problem to solve. And while Jose Calderon has frequently been mentioned as trade bait, league sources say the Raptors are far more amenable to trading Kyle Lowry, who has not made many friends in his new surroundings. The Raptors gave up a sure lottery pick for him (which Houston subsequently sent to Oklahoma City in the James Harden trade), so Gasol might be a way to salvage that transaction. Plus, with the new CBA taking effect and shortening teams' windows for winning, a team like Toronto might feel better about committing 1Ĺ seasons to Gasol than using its cap room this summer to sign a lesser player for four years.

Some league execs mentioned Atlanta as a possibility, while others expressed skepticism the Hawks would go all-in for a high-priced veteran like Gasol. It doesn't seem to fit GM Danny Ferry's personality and the centerpiece of the plan he laid out when he took over in Atlanta: long-term sustainability. For the sake of argument, there's no question prospective free agent Josh Smith would be the key piece included in any such deal -- and that his athleticism and defensive prowess would immediately make the Lakers better in numerous ways. With the potential for a league-high $36 million in cap room next summer, the question for Ferry will be whether to spend it in July, hold onto it or spend some of it now on a player like Gasol, who unlike this summer's free agents would only require a 1Ĺ-year commitment. What gets teams not located in LA, New York or Chicago in more trouble than anything? Overpaying subpar free agents for multiple years.

Among the other teams on the periphery for Gasol might be Utah, where Gasol would fit stylistically and give the Jazz a boost in the playoff hunt. (It's worth wondering whether Raja Bell, who the Lakers covet, has not been bought out yet in case his contract is needed to include in a trade.) Milwaukee is another possibility, and there's a deal to be made there with Monta Ellis and Drew Gooden -- though the Lakers do not want to take back future salary, so that option is dead on arrival, since Gooden is owed $13.4 million over the next two seasons. The Bobcats would be interested in having a conversation, sources say, but what could they offer beyond ball-stopping Ben Gordon and other fodder? A long shot? One rival exec mentioned the Grizzlies, who still need to trim future payroll despite the trade with Cleveland last week that delayed but did not solve their luxury-tax concerns. Rudy Gay or Zach Randolph for Gasol? It's far-fetched, but it would save Memphis tens of millions in luxury tax in 2014-15 and put the Gasol brothers on the same team. The basketball gods are rooting for that one, but as I've said, let's not get carried away. When it comes to trading Gasol, "It's not a big market," one of the executives said.
    http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/2...lakers-in-bind

vCash
    Gasol got injured last night. Lakers don't have much for trade assets now. Scratch off Gasol for our post player. Jefferson last on the list now for a post player.