Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Lakers draft history

I was curious so I looked into the lakers previous draft picks and we only had one good pick that stood out which was Bynum, Ill say Marc Gasol as well but I dont even think the Lakers knew what they were giving up at the time. Now I know we live by the we dont rebuild, we reload theme and i know we usually trade our picks but we havent even gotten lucky with a guy to out play his contract or draft stock. Do we not have good talent scouts? Is there a worse team out there as far as draft picks success?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beans439 View Post
    Do we not have good talent scouts?
    Chaz

vCash
    In today's NBA in order to win, You must draft and cultivate talent. Gone are the days of the top talent going to the highest bidder. In the past the Lakers could just fill any need by making a quick trade or F/A pickup. In today's NBA where the luxury tax and trading is much harder(next to impossible)because you must match numbers in order to fit under the salary cap. It's not like baseball where you can trade a bushel of minor leaguers for a superstar(See Yankees, Dodgers, Angels and Red Sox). So in today's NBA the Lakers must change their practices and start to cultivate and grow their own talent. Because due to thins like Bird Rights and the fact that the player's current team can always pay a player more than any other potential suitor, Nailing that next free agent superstar has become harder and harder. So all of those who think it's automatic that we will land all of these F/A's in 2014 you may be very disappointed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by midwestlaker75 View Post
    In today's NBA in order to win, You must draft and cultivate talent. Gone are the days of the top talent going to the highest bidder. In the past the Lakers could just fill any need by making a quick trade or F/A pickup. In today's NBA where the luxury tax and trading is much harder(next to impossible)because you must match numbers in order to fit under the salary cap. It's not like baseball where you can trade a bushel of minor leaguers for a superstar(See Yankees, Dodgers, Angels and Red Sox). So in today's NBA the Lakers must change their practices and start to cultivate and grow their own talent. Because due to thins like Bird Rights and the fact that the player's current team can always pay a player more than any other potential suitor, Nailing that next free agent superstar has become harder and harder. So all of those who think it's automatic that we will land all of these F/A's in 2014 you may be very disappointed.
    Who won the championship last year?

vCash
    Do we not have good talent scouts?
    Jimbo fired most of them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by midwestlaker75 View Post
    the last 5 nba champions did that .... right?

vCash
    just really seems like they are below average on the picks theyve made in the last 10-15 years. yes theyve regularly had late picks due to success but thats no excuse. look at san antonio, well known is manu, but parker was late, even splitter, blair, george hill, scola, salmons. just a lot of decent guys that arent obvious weak links in a lineup like the lakers tend to have
    Last edited by beans439; 01-23-2013 at 12:07 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by championships View Post
    Jimbo fired most of them.
    correct me if im wrong but wasnt jimbo the main reason for the pick of bynum?

vCash
    even boston has made some solid draft picks, tony allen, avery bradley, marshon brooks, joe johnson, al jefferson

vCash
    Draft picks are not that important for championship contending teams which is why the Lakers had no issues giving them away. We built our team through smart successful trades.. Well until recently that is. It's hard for any team to build with 2nd rounders. We haven't had a 1st round pick since 2009 - late in the 1st too.

You can build through the draft like OKC did, but that is going to take a few bad seasons till you hit mediocrity, and the chances of that even happening are slim. Not too many Kevin Durant's, Westbrook's, and Harden's type players out there to be had by the same team.

Free As Seagull.

vCash
    I was curious so I looked into the lakers previous draft picks and we only had one good pick that stood out which was Bynum, Ill say Marc Gasol as well but I dont even think the Lakers knew what they were giving up at the time. Now I know we live by the we dont rebuild, we reload theme and i know we usually trade our picks but we havent even gotten lucky with a guy to out play his contract or draft stock. Do we not have good talent scouts? Is there a worse team out there as far as draft picks success?
    We're usually an elite team and so it's hard to draft great players when you have high draft picks. We drafted two all star centers in the past 7 years or so, that's better than just about any team in the league when you account for our high picks.

vCash
    Rudy Tom Jonavich is a scout

vCash
    I would say portland but they did really good this year with lilliard. Nah... Still Portland.

Your baby can't do this

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lakers4sho View Post
    Chaz
    bro you're on a roll as of late!!! You been killing it with your one-liners ! llullz!
    #FreeCrooner!!!!

vCash
    Lakers isn't a franchise that drafts and develop players.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast