Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MattColby View Post
    I think if there's even a thought that he won't reup we've gotta trade him and get the most we can. We can't afford to lose a player of his caliber to the FA market.
    This. You keep trying to keep him, but the minute he says he wants out, you trade him and take someone's farm.
    You have no idea how excited I am right now.

vCash
    His best value is now though if we wait another season i doubt we steal somebody's farm remember Cliff Lee just got us Smoak he was a great prospect but my point is we only got one blue chip out of Lee who was a rental.

Just about that action boss.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NateyB24 View Post
    His best value is now though if we wait another season i doubt we steal somebody's farm remember Cliff Lee just got us Smoak he was a great prospect but my point is we only got one blue chip out of Lee who was a rental.
    true statement

vCash
    Felix>Lee. Felix is younger than Lee was. The price of good players is higher now. All big factors.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jej View Post
    Felix>Lee. Felix is younger than Lee was. The price of good players is higher now. All big factors.
    Age really doesn't play a factor here if we trade him in his final season he will be a rental just like Cliff Lee where as if we trade him now the team gets him for more then just a season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MattColby View Post
    I think if there's even a thought that he won't reup we've gotta trade him and get the most we can. We can't afford to lose a player of his caliber to the FA market.
    I wouldn't jump the gun this off-season. I think we can improve our team enough this next year that he may see the value in sticking around. But if he's not content next off-season, I would make a final offer to keep him around, and make it a good one for him, and if he balks I would probably trade him before the season starts. If a team can get a full year out of him they will undoubtedly trade more for him, besides the fact in gives the new team more time to try and negotiate an extension with him.

If we waited until the trade deadline in his last year here, then yeah, we wouldn't get nearly as much in return, unless a part of the deal was him signing an extension. There's no doubt a two month rental has much less value than a full year though.

Age really doesn't play a factor here if we trade him in his final season he will be a rental just like Cliff Lee where as if we trade him now the team gets him for more then just a season.
    Most players/teams seem to avoid talking about extensions until the off-season, so at least in trading him next off-season the new team gets a chunk of time to try and work out a deal before the season begins. But maybe he sets his sights on free agency, no questions asked.

"Better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt" - Abraham Lincoln

vCash
    I think even if you deal Felix as a rental you get a HAUL. Teams will pay top dollar for a guy like him for the stretch run and playoffs. No doubt about it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iansnightout View Post
    I think even if you deal Felix as a rental you get a HAUL. Teams will pay top dollar for a guy like him for the stretch run and playoffs. No doubt about it.
    also true, he makes a playoff team a WS favorite.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iansnightout View Post
    I don't know if this is the case anymore the D-Backs didn't get a lot of value out of Upton.

vCash
    I don't know if this is the case anymore the D-Backs didn't get a lot of value out of Upton.
    i dont think its comparable. i think AZ thought upton was a cancer and devalued him for it. wait until the season starts and pitchers start going down. unfortunately i think the team that would make the most sense is TX. maybe cincy, i wouldnt mind having billy hamilton come over. game changer.

vCash
    We can still get a max haul for him if we trade him to a team that wants to extend him, and we let them negotiate the deal before pulling the trigger so I don't think we have to trade him now. That being said I think we will give him the 6 year deal he wants. No question. If we don't then I am pretty much done with the Mariners. Tired of seeing our players leave.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by drew_ellis_23;25239262[B
    ]We can still get a max haul for him if we trade him to a team that wants to extend him, and we let them negotiate the deal before pulling the trigger[/B] so I don't think we have to trade him now. That being said I think we will give him the 6 year deal he wants. No question. If we don't then I am pretty much done with the Mariners. Tired of seeing our players leave.
    i cant remember that ever happening in baseball and it doesnt make sense for the team he is being traded to. breaking the bank for an ext at the same time agreeing to trade away more players.

if this year we have a really promising season, and or felix has an off or injury plagued season we will have greater leverage to keep the ext at 3-5 yrs. big iffs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain City View Post
    i cant remember that ever happening in baseball and it doesnt make sense for the team he is being traded to. breaking the bank for an ext at the same time agreeing to trade away more players.

if this year we have a really promising season, and or felix has an off or injury plagued season we will have greater leverage to keep the ext at 3-5 yrs. big iffs.
    Adrian Gonzalez.

vCash
    I could be wrong but if he won't sign an extension with the team that raised him up i think he will want to hit FA and get the best deal possible unless he gets some crazy extension like 200M 8 years or something.

vCash
    I could be wrong but if he won't sign an extension with the team that raised him up i think he will want to hit FA and get the best deal possible unless he gets some crazy extension like 200M 8 years or something.
    yea i agree.

i dont see a team doing what bosox did w/ agon, that was an isolated scenario as far as i know of a s&t in baseball, in hindsight, it didnt work out well for boston. felix is going to be extended w/ us, or hit the market and get his. if Ms deal at any time we will get great talent, the sooner the better tho. no way a s&t, im willing to bet.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast