Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 111
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    4,811
    vCash
    1500
    Ive been pretty disappointed in the off season but id give it a C if felix gets extended.

    i like that we improved the MOTO w/out dealing specs. but our pitching has regressed with Vargas not being replaced and fences coming in, add our defensive deficiency and lack of athleticism, i think of chances our being competitive this year are very slim. i think with a really good off season we coulda had realistic expectation to contend w/out mortgaging the future.
    Last edited by Rain City; 01-24-2013 at 01:08 PM.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fife, WA
    Posts
    23,191
    vCash
    1500
    Extending Felix is sooo important, it just increases his value as an asset and further cements him as the cornerstone of the franchise.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,005
    vCash
    1500
    I think the right thing to do would be to extend him at fair market value, which IMO, makes him at least one the three highest paid pitchers (probably really deserves to be #1 at least until Verlander extends...as I would expect). Do that, sign Saunders to a one year deal (or one plus one) and hope that Zunino and one of the big three make it up this year. It may be a long shot, but I think it'd be fun as **** to see Walker and Zunino at some point. But seeing any of them would be enough to keep me excited about the year.

    The other changes all bring some question to JZ's abilities, but I will maintain my confidence in him (given the limits I believe ownership puts on him) until proven otherwise.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fife, WA
    Posts
    23,191
    vCash
    1500
    I'd love to see Walker at least in the bullpen by the end of the year. I think Hultzen and Paxton will both be starting for the Mariners by July.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    32,383
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by FWBrodie View Post
    I'd love to see Walker at least in the bullpen by the end of the year. I think Hultzen and Paxton will both be starting for the Mariners by July.
    You think Paxton will be in before Walker? I know he's played at higher levels and is older but he seems less polished.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Auburn/B'ham, WA
    Posts
    14,331
    vCash
    1500
    Yeah I think Pax beats Walker also.
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champs



  7. #37
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fife, WA
    Posts
    23,191
    vCash
    1500
    I just know that Paxton could strikeout big leaguers today. He's got some control problems, but he'd at the very least be a quality bullpen arm. Maybe that's how he gets his feet wet. 95-98 with a knee buckling deuce, man I can't wait. Guess it's up to him to show them he's ready, but I'm a believer. He's a year older than Hultzen too.

    Hultzen at AA last year: 75.1 ip, 9.44 k/9, 3.82 bb/9
    Paxton at AA last year: 105.1 ip, 9.31 k/9, 4.57 bb/9
    Last edited by FWBrodie; 01-24-2013 at 04:16 PM.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    16,534
    vCash
    1200
    Quote Originally Posted by FWBrodie View Post
    I just know that Paxton could strikeout big leaguers today. He's got some control problems, but he'd at the very least be a quality bullpen arm. Maybe that's how he gets his feet wet. 95-98 with a knee buckling deuce, man I can't wait. Guess it's up to him to show them he's ready, but I'm a believer. He's a year older than Hultzen too.

    Hultzen at AA last year: 75.1 ip, 9.44 k/9, 3.82 bb/9
    Paxton at AA last year: 105.1 ip, 9.31 k/9, 4.57 bb/9
    I could see that Hultzen is in a higher level right now but bullpen arms usually don't get developed through Triple A they get promoted pretty fast.

    From what i have seen from Paxton don't know if he is starter material he can look dominate then after a few innings just lose it badly.
    Last edited by NateyB24; 01-24-2013 at 08:49 PM.


    Just about that action boss.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,575
    vCash
    1500
    Yeah, I think both Paxton and Hultzen make it to the majors before Walker. If Walker had a more durable frame, I could see him up quicker. But he's not Felix, so I see them being patient and safe with him, stretch his arm out more in a less stressful environment. I think they move Victor Sanchez quicker than Walker... just based on physical durability... I could totally see Sanchez potentially up here within two years. 85 IP last year, 125 this year, 150+ in 2014, with a september call-up in the BP (age 19), then starting 2015 out of spring training. Maybe Walker gets a september call-up as well to throw a bit in the BP this year, then start in 2014.

    But either way, we have studs coming to our pitching mounds very soon, so keeping Felix as the long term anchor is a must.

    Although I think Maurer will make his presence known before Walker and Sanchez (at least before Sanchez), I think there will be a day when we have Felix, Walker, Hultzen, Paxton, and Sanchez (and maybe Maurer instead of one of the big three if a trade is deemed necessary for offense). But we'll have some studs rounding out the rotation soon!!
    Last edited by CamraMaan; 01-25-2013 at 01:21 AM.

    "Better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt" - Abraham Lincoln

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,575
    vCash
    1500
    I know Ian, tl:dr... its ok.

    "Better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt" - Abraham Lincoln

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fife, WA
    Posts
    23,191
    vCash
    1500
    Sanchez is pretty far away.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    16,534
    vCash
    1200
    Quote Originally Posted by CamraMaan View Post
    Yeah, I think both Paxton and Hultzen make it to the majors before Walker. If Walker had a more durable frame, I could see him up quicker. But he's not Felix, so I see them being patient and safe with him, stretch his arm out more in a less stressful environment. I think they move Victor Sanchez quicker than Walker... just based on physical durability... I could totally see Sanchez potentially up here within two years. 85 IP last year, 125 this year, 150+ in 2014, with a september call-up in the BP (age 19), then starting 2015 out of spring training. Maybe Walker gets a september call-up as well to throw a bit in the BP this year, then start in 2014.

    But either way, we have studs coming to our pitching mounds very soon, so keeping Felix as the long term anchor is a must.

    Although I think Maurer will make his presence known before Walker and Sanchez (at least before Sanchez), I think there will be a day when we have Felix, Walker, Hultzen, Paxton, and Sanchez (and maybe Maurer instead of one of the big three if a trade is deemed necessary for offense). But we'll have some studs rounding out the rotation soon!!
    Yea i agree probably won't see Walker this season but it wouldn't surprise me he fast tracked himself to Double A.


    Just about that action boss.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,575
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by FWBrodie View Post
    Sanchez is pretty far away.
    Tis true, but from what I've read scouts think he's got the frame to handle a bigger workload quicker, and hence move quicker considering his age. Still think Walker gets here first, just that Sanchez gets here at a younger age.

    Quote Originally Posted by NateyB24 View Post
    Yea i agree probably won't see Walker this season but it wouldn't surprise me he fast tracked himself to Double A.
    Oh I wouldn't doubt that Walker starts in AA and doesn't take long to get to AAA. Whether or not he can prove himself enough there to get a september call-up is the question. And on second thought, no, I think they shut him down to protect his arm at the end of this MiLB season. But I can totally see him battling for a spot in the rotation in ST 2014, kinda like Pineda, assuming he does well this year.

    "Better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt" - Abraham Lincoln

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,575
    vCash
    1500
    Funny side note... so I mentioned a while back that when I went to Mexico (Mazatlan) I met some minor league guys who played for the Mazatlan team. Well I asked them (among other questions) which system gave them the most fits... three of the four guys immediately said the Jackson team was crazy good, not really knowing it was a Mariners farm team. The other guy didn't play against Jackson. But for those three (all position players) it was a no-brainer... Jackson was disgustingly good.

    Take it for what you will. We had all three of Hultzon, Paxton and Walker pitch there last year. But they did note that it wasn't just the pitching... it was simply a dominant team for that level.

    "Better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt" - Abraham Lincoln

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Bothell
    Posts
    13,773
    vCash
    1500
    ^Maurer was there too. That was a dirty rotation
    You have no idea how excited I am right now.


Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •