Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Free Agency or Draft

Hey guys, hope all is well over on your side...
    -With the way our season ended and looking at positions that need to be flilled...(on both sides of the ball)
    Which direction would you go If you have the "Power to Build or Re-Build" (whether it be Offense or Defense)
    If you had to choose between Free Agency or Draft....Say for instance...Id have to go Defence on all my Draft picks and via Free Agency for Offense...
    I would concentrate on D-Line (especially now with Jay getting arrested for DWI) and address the Secondary...
    Free Agency, I'd have to address the Tackle position, Running back then WR...

of course both have its Pros/Cons...but throwing this out just for kicks...

vCash
    I believe in a blend...we use the first round pick on OLine and get the best OL available in FA...then use the 2nd pick on someone to rush the passer (DE) or at least someone to get in the DL rotation...

...I am not convinced that our DE opposite of Ware won't be Spencer....he is hinting that he can make the switch to DE and that miught make the transition to the 4-3 a little easier since they could switch back and forth to the 3-4 when needed, much like they played some downs this past season on 4-3...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    I believe in a blend...we use the first round pick on OLine and get the best OL available in FA...then use the 2nd pick on someone to rush the passer (DE) or at least someone to get in the DL rotation...

...I am not convinced that our DE opposite of Ware won't be Spencer....he is hinting that he can make the switch to DE and that miught make the transition to the 4-3 a little easier since they could switch back and forth to the 3-4 when needed, much like they played some downs this past season on 4-3...
    What would you do if this situation occured:
    Vollmer, Long, and Levitre all hit free agency.

A. Sign a Tackle in Free Agency (which one) & draft a guard
    B. Sign Levitre & draft a RT.

Remember to consider what you'd do with Smith, would he stay at Left or move back to Right.

"
    No Idea Why Ines Sainz Was Her assed"

vCash
    well we first have to find some money to even get a scrub in free agency.
    Time to get swole baby ooooo yea back in the gym

vCash
    I would expect to see:

1. Romo restructured
    2. Ratliff gone
    3. Free gone
    4. Austin gone
    5. Witten restructured
    6. Felix gone
    7. Something done with Carr's contract.

If done correctly, regardless if i agree, the Cowboys will be able to save a lot of money.

"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thedon01 View Post
    I would expect to see:

1. Romo restructured
    2. Ratliff gone
    3. Free gone
    4. Austin gone
    5. Witten restructured
    6. Felix gone
    7. Something done with Carr's contract.

If done correctly, regardless if i agree, the Cowboys will be able to save a lot of money.
    I agree with all but I don't see Austin being cut because then we have no #2 WR and then that allows Dez to be doubled and Witten wouldn't be open as much either. Ratliff only saves us a million dollars and is more valuable to us than an extra million. i wouldn't mind if they try to move free to guard and he takes a MAJOR pay cut.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thedon01 View Post
    I would expect to see:

1. Romo restructured -, he only has 1 year left on his deal, so i expect him to sign and extension, which would lower his cap number.
    2. Ratliff gone
    3. Free gone i really, truelly hope so. i pray so.
    4. Austin gone i dont think so. wouldnt be shocked, but i just have a feeling he wont. not sure.
    5. Witten restructured
    6. Felix gone felix is a free agent. so they probally wont resign him. wont have to cut him though.
    7. Something done with Carr's contract. i heard that they can easily restructure the deal to free up cap money.

i also heard they can restructure scandricks deal to clear up some space to.
    spencer will be gone has well, imo. and jenkins. (both leaving via free agency.)

--------------
    has for draft, or free agency, i think its been the position of the cowboys, and i agree with it, to at least try and fill all the big holes in free agency, has to allow to be able to take the best available in the draft, and not have to reach for need.

vCash
    i tried to find that $1M you're talking about, but i can't. Maybe I'm missing something, but his base salary in 2013 is 5M and he has a 2M Bonus that counts toward the cap, so it's a total of 7M towards the cap.

If you cut him past the cut off date we'll save 5M.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/jay-ratliff/

If we cut Austin we save about 3.6M because,

His base in 2013 = 6.7M and his bonus is 1.57M for a total of 8.3M, but he has 3 more years of the prorated bonus at a total of 4.7M, so cutting him would be cost 4.7M to the cap instead of 8.3M, thus saving 3.6M

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/miles-austin/

Austin getting paid 8.3M as a 2nd receiver isn't worth the cost imo. The problem is he never should have gotten such a large contract at the time because now we're stuck looking for a replacement when we already have other needs.
    Last edited by thedon01; 01-23-2013 at 11:13 AM.

"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rawz View Post

i also heard they can restructure scandricks deal to clear up some space to.
    spencer will be gone has well, imo. and jenkins. (both leaving via free agency.)

--------------
    has for draft, or free agency, i think its been the position of the cowboys, and i agree with it, to at least try and fill all the big holes in free agency, has to allow to be able to take the best available in the draft, and not have to reach for need.
    1. I totally forgot about Spencer, that's going to save a chunk of money as well. I wish they'd just cut Scandricks, but they probably won't.

2. Watch out, you used HAS again, lol!

"

vCash
    Correction, Blacknell was right, i misread. Ratliff has a 5M base in 2013 with a 2M bonus = 7M, but has 6M left on the prorated bonus, so cutting him would only net 1M in savings.

My apologies.

"

vCash
    I decided not to leave for a month. But it's not Romo2Austin anymore, it's now Romo2Bryant. So don't get confused!

I personally would like to see, if we signed let's say S. Vollmer, then I would also like to draft Chance Warmack. Or if we signed someone like Henry Melton, then I would like to draft a DT or DE in the 1st round. Why not make a weakness into a strength? But the problem is can we afford to do that since we have bunch of needs both side of the ball. I haven't even mentioned S, RB, WR.

vCash
    glad you didn't leave. I do believe a decent free agent signing will happen. Depending on who resigns it might actually be on the defensive side of the ball, possibly the line and Henry Melton was my pick.

My opinion is that Long will get tagged, extended, or won't want to switch to RT so unless we want to shuffle Smith back, which i don't think we do, then i'd expect not to see Long in Dallas.

That leaves Vollmer and Levitre. Vollmer fills in for a possible release in Free while Levitre would be a great combo along side Smith problems lie with what to do with Livings and Berny who both won't save anything if releaed? I'd probably cut Berny as Livings would cost more to cut. Then slide Livings to the right side.

Seeing how Buffalo will probably lose 1 of Byrd or Levitre i say we take which ever is left over. If it's Byrd then i'd spend the 1st pick on the offensive line.

So for me at this point i'd like to see a combo of:
    1. Release Free > Rookie RT > Henry Melton > Levitre > Move Livings to right > release Berny
    2. Release Free > Vollmer > Henry Melton > Rookie Guard > Move Livings to right > release Berny
    3. Release Free > Rookie RT > Henry Melton > Byrd > Keep Berny & Livings

"

vCash
    I would use our 1st and 2nd round on OL. we have just given contracts edtensions to Church and Sensi so they won't be going anywhere IMO.

Barrett Jones might slide into the 2nd round draft him if he does
    Johnathan Cooper will most likely be our 1st round pick
    Slyvester Williams would be a great 3rd round pick
    Sign Vollmer at any cost to play RT
    either Free take pay cut and moves to guard or we cut him flat out.

If we don't sign a tackle in free agency i think Eric Fisher will fall to us and we take him.

vCash
    if you get Vollmer and spend the first 2 picks on the offensive line what are you going to do with livings and berny

"

vCash
    after shelling out contracts to berny and livings, and moving to a tampa 2 the Cowboys aren't going to spend both 1st and 2nd picks on the offensive line. At least i don't think they will.

My bet is on a free agent signing at either guard or tackle with the other position being filled in the draft
    Last edited by thedon01; 01-23-2013 at 01:34 PM.

"

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast