Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

"We're going to be a need's based team" - Caldwell

the jacksonville jaguars under gene smith always hammered drafting the "best available player" (bap) in the nfl draft as their philosophy, but that rarely actually wound up being the case. Jaguars new general manager david caldwell has a different philosophy however, drafting for your team's biggest need.

"we're going to be a needs-based team," caldwell told john oehser of jaguars.com at the 2013 senior bowl. "if comparable, we'll go with the greater need.

"as long as you have a need in the first round, you try to get the best available player to fill that need."

this shouldn't be a shock for most people, because this is what teams generally wind up doing, despite their lip service to the public and media. The idea of "bap" is nice in theory, but rarely is it actually applied in the early rounds of the nfl draft.

Caldwell indicated to oehser that he's more inclined to lean towards drafting for need in the early rounds of the draft, then applying the "best available player" philosophy in the later rounds, which he should.

So, i would guess you can go ahead and pencil in quarterback, defensive end, and cornerback in some kind of order for the jaguars first three picks. Those are by far the biggest needs.
    -bcc

vCash
    Well, the Jag's "needs" are pretty well across the board, so I don't think that changes anything. No one in this draft who would be an upgrade on Gabbert, and half of them are older than he is. Go back to being fat, ugly, and miserable, Alfie.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dog View Post
    Well, the Jag's "needs" are pretty well across the board, so I don't think that changes anything. No one in this draft who would be an upgrade on Gabbert, and half of them are older than he is. Go back to being fat, ugly, and miserable, Alfie.
    I dont like Gabberts play so far but the only reason I dont want to go QB is because we have so many holes and I dont think any of them can come in right away and take us to the playoffs, especially with the oline we have right now. Hopefully we can fix the D or the oline one in this draft and go QB next year and get the franchise guy. If we didnt have so many holes I would say go QB but that isnt the case. Manziel, Murray, McCarron Bridgewater. I think all 4 of those can take this team straight to the playoffs if this D gets fixed and the oline gets a little better.
    Last edited by flgatorsandjags; 01-22-2013 at 07:40 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flgatorsandjags View Post
    I dont like Gabberts play so far but the only reason I dont want to go QB is because we have so many holes and I dont think any of them can come in right away and take us to the playoffs, especially with the oline we have right now. Hopefully we can fix the D or the oline one in this draft and go QB next year and get the franchise guy. If we didnt have so many holes I would say go QB but that isnt the case. Manziel, Murray, McCarron Bridgewater. I think all 4 of those can take this team straight to the playoffs if this D gets fixed and the oline gets a little better.
    i agree. this heres strengths kinda fall on the trenches, WR, and CB. i hope Caldwell goes and gets us atleast a worthwhile Return guys cuz that return game of ours is Horrible.

The Future Jacksonville Jaguars Power Couple

#InCaldwellWeDon'tTrust

vCash
    i see no issue with this whatsoever

vCash
    Nothing is wrong with it at all, Caldwell isn't about to take a guy that doesn't have potential to be a very good player just because he is more of a needs drafter. He gets it from what they did up in Atlanta and that doesn't seem to be hurting them.

vCash
    Kansas City was a strong believer in BAP and it got them where they are now
    The Future of The Jacksonville Jaguars
    Duuuuuuuvvvvaaaaaaaalllll

vCash
    I think they are close in all honesty. They need a qb and will be close. They have studs at de, lb, s, te, rb and a wr

They're close.

vCash
    Bowe is a FA and has wanted out for awhile now. You can't be "close" with 2 Ws. Behind Bowe they don't have anyone who sticks out to me one bit. All the rest are okay #2s and #3 WRs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JNev View Post
    Bowe is a FA and has wanted out for awhile now. You can't be "close" with 2 Ws. Behind Bowe they don't have anyone who sticks out to me one bit. All the rest are okay #2s and #3 WRs
    Jon Baldwin has plenty of potential, with them blowing things up and drafting a QB high to say Bowe is a lock to go is far from certain as well. They also have McCluster who does a lot of things as well as Breaston who is solid.

Not saying WR is done for them or there figured out, but they are definitely not far away. They have a lot of talent, and I mean a lot. With a good QB at the helm they'll make some noise with those pieces they have on both sides of the ball.

vCash
    How do you go 2-14 with all that talent?

vCash
    [CODE[/CODE]
    How do you go 2-14 with all that talent?
    Your QB is Matt Cassell and Brady Quinn.
    Nothing to see here, move along.

vCash
    Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl...

vCash
    Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl...
    That is true, but he still isn't as bad as those two.
    Nothing to see here, move along.

vCash
    Have to say I was a lot less impressed with Caldwell in the Oesher interview than previously. Maybe he was tired or something. There is only so much you can do from the position, I suppose. Hopefully Bradley's style flies with the players. You never know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast