Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    I can't imagine ANY losing a SB on purpose because he hates the team he's coaching ,if that was the case why even get to the big dance just can the season and move on.

vCash
    GREAT READ by @LeviDamien

For Tim Brown it's mission accomplished

It has been ten years since that fateful Super Bowl disaster against the Buccaneers. And in those ten years, the members of that team have not let go of what happened that day in San Diego. They probably never will.

Many of the players on that team headed to the locker room after their 48-21 loss searching for answers. It was such an incredible shock to many of them, the only thing that made any sense was sabotage.

Sabotage by the head coach who led them to the edge of a cliff and pushed them over it. The notion seems downright crazy to just about anyone who thinks about it. And it goes to show you just how impossible it was for the players on that team to imagine how Callahan could have really screwed things up as badly as he did.

The one person affected the most by Callahan's actions was Barret Robbins. The All Pro center had a complete mental breakdown just prior to the Super Bowl when he was told the Raiders would be switching the game plan two days before the big game. He was clinically bipolar and took medication for it. The last minute switch sent him over the edge and caused him to go on a drinking binge that night and miss the game.

He was already unstable. He was so far gone that at the time he was found, in his mind the Raiders had won the Super Bowl and he was celebrating it. He awoke from that dream to a nightmare. And since that night, he had the guilt that he cost himself and his team the Super Bowl and angry Raider fans all over putting the blame on him as well.

In the ten years since that game, Tim Brown and his teammates have wanted their version of the story heard. They wanted people to listen. They wanted the villain label removed from Robbins and place where it belonged - Bill Callahan.

They also wanted Callahan to answer for his actions. If that meant using the word "sabotage" publicly which they had previously only used amongst each other, so be it.

And after ten years, Brown has finally accomplished his mission.

This story has dominated the news cycle the past couple days which in today's world of instant information, is a long time. Several of the former Raiders players have chimed in even if they didn't all agree whole heartedly with Brown and Rice's account. Callahan in turn released a statement on it.

The statement by Callahan wasn't even vetted through his current team, the Dallas Cowboys. He released the statement through his agent without the Cowboys permission. That's how urgent he and his agent felt they needed to attack these accusations.

The response in the statement so far is expected. When he is made to answer questions on it, those too will very likely be expected as well. He will undoubtedly say something along the lines of what he might have said in the minutes after the game. ‘The Buccaneers were a better team' and so on.

But what this accomplishes is far more rewarding in that it forces Callahan to answer for anything. The mere fact that ten years after the fact, Callahan is having to make a statement and will soon have to answer questions is a victory of sorts for all the players on that team who were denied any chance of winning that game.

Callahan will tell you the Buccaneers were just so much better and you can bet so will anyone associated with the Buccaneers, but that simply wasn't the case. The Raiders were the best team in the NFL that season and Rich Gannon was named MVP as they cruised to the Super Bowl. And yet suddenly they looked like they didn't belong on that field.

Buccaneers players were calling out the Raiders plays in the defensive huddle. Bucs safety John Lynch was recorded by NFL Films on the sideline telling Jon Gruden that the Raiders were doing exactly what they had practiced, exclaiming "It's unreal". So, it seems the Raiders players weren't the only ones who couldn't believe what they were seeing.

Rich Gannon was under tremendous pressure every time he dropped back to throw, the running backs could find no room to run, and the Buccaneers defenders knew where every pass was going. The result was five interceptions and no running room. The Bucs simply knew what was coming on every play without hesitation. Callahan has to answer for that. It may not have been sabotage by design, but he doomed the Raiders from the start.

Players like Tim Brown have to live with losing out on their best shot at winning a title in embarrassing fashion every day of their lives. He is a Hall of Fame finalist this year but he would be a lock if he had a ring to go with all his receiving numbers. That's an impossible thing to let go of.

Jerry Rice has his rings. He has no agenda and yet he came out and said the exact same thing as Brown. He pointed out that being such a veteran as Tim Brown is what made it the most bewildering about it all. Neither of them had ever seen anything like it.

As for Robbins, his life quickly unraveled into a series of run-ins with the law and stints in prison for his actions connected to his bipolar disorder. It is a tragic tale of which the only thing left to be done was a public showing of support from his former teammate and friend, Tim Brown. The best way to do that was to let the world know the true story of how that Super Bowl was lost.

The truth will set you free. But since truth often falls on deaf media ears; a bit of controversy mixed in with a whole lot of truth... will set you free.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chucklemethis View Post
    GREAT READ by @LeviDamien
    I'm always going to ask........What if Davis had never traded Gruden in the first place....hmmmm

vCash
    Max, maybe we would have won the super bowl. Can we just go back in time?

vCash
    I would like to add my two cents, this topic has got to be the most assinine subject ever brought up. First Tim Brown's credibility is in question, second of all, Callahan should have made better preparations then to allow the Bucs to guess what he was doing. Callahan was the dumbest coach in America, he said the Raiders were the dumbest team, he led by example, the Raiders just followed in his footsteps.

vCash
    I think you can say Callahan sabotaged the Superbowl whether he 'meant' to throw the game or not.

He threw the game by throwing as much as he did. The Bucs were calling out the plays faster than Gannon coudl say them. It was no contest. And a lot of people felt the Raiders were the best team that year.

So yeah, even if Brown is backtracking on his statement - I believe he very much so sabotoged the Superbowl. Changing that gameplan made Robbins go AWOL..although I'm sure the Raiders still would've lost the game anyways. You just CAN'T throw with Gannon like that when it's Gruden's offense.

I don't care however which way someone like Romanoskwi or whoever else puts it:

"Oh bullcrap, sabotage. Gannon was the best QB in the league that year of course we're gonna throw..."

yes, bullcrap. you do NOT go threw with that kind of gameplan against Chucky, who has all the motivation in the world to stick it to Al anyways. Callahan very much so sabotaged it no matter which way you cut it IMO.

vCash

vCash
    as a bucs fan i agree that we knew ur plays ..shoot they was yellin it the whole game .but in respect to one of the best defenses of the past decade we was # 1 in almost every stat line on defense b4 we ever seen the raiders .and qbs the whole season had a 47% passer rating on us as a whole and we was number 1 in turnovers and touchdowns on defense during the season and in playoffs . if brown and garner was so against it y play for the bucs the next year and not say anything for 10 years .. thank all u raiders fans for being stand up people i really liked ur posts minus a few ..raiders fans are tops in the league .good form

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chucklemethis View Post
    I think you can say Callahan sabotaged the Superbowl whether he 'meant' to throw the game or not.

He threw the game by throwing as much as he did. The Bucs were calling out the plays faster than Gannon coudl say them. It was no contest. And a lot of people felt the Raiders were the best team that year.

So yeah, even if Brown is backtracking on his statement - I believe he very much so sabotoged the Superbowl. Changing that gameplan made Robbins go AWOL..although I'm sure the Raiders still would've lost the game anyways. You just CAN'T throw with Gannon like that when it's Gruden's offense.

I don't care however which way someone like Romanoskwi or whoever else puts it:

"Oh bullcrap, sabotage. Gannon was the best QB in the league that year of course we're gonna throw..."

yes, bullcrap. you do NOT go threw with that kind of gameplan against Chucky, who has all the motivation in the world to stick it to Al anyways. Callahan very much so sabotaged it no matter which way you cut it IMO.
    We executed that game plan every week from week 2 on that year.

Do you really believe we had a run heavy game plan after abandoning the run in week 2?

The problem was Gannons inability to beat the 2 deep zone. The Tampa 2 has only 2 weak spots. THe first is the "honey hole" behind the CB before the S gets over. The 2nd is the middle seam. The Tampa 2 drops its MLB deeper than a regular cover 2 shell. That variation was a Bud Carson creation when Tony Dungy played in his Demon Fly Cover 3 package with the Steel Curtain D in the late 70's. The MLB Shelton Quarles played deep all day and Gannons weak arm could not beat the corners who trapped coverages and rotated men to confuse. The Tampa 2 likes its CBs to use outside leverage to force WRs to funnel to the middle of the field taking away the fade and back shoulder fade routes.

Finally, Jerry Rice beat the S who bit and got that 48 yarder.

I find it hard to believe they thought they could run after not game planning like that all year.

This story sounds like Brown wanting cover for his lack of championship pedigree.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MaTLoK727 View Post
    as a bucs fan i agree that we knew ur plays ..shoot they was yellin it the whole game .but in respect to one of the best defenses of the past decade we was # 1 in almost every stat line on defense b4 we ever seen the raiders .and qbs the whole season had a 47% passer rating on us as a whole and we was number 1 in turnovers and touchdowns on defense during the season and in playoffs . if brown and garner was so against it y play for the bucs the next year and not say anything for 10 years .. thank all u raiders fans for being stand up people i really liked ur posts minus a few ..raiders fans are tops in the league .good form
    D lineman in the T 2 have one gap duties in run support and free lance to the QB.

No need to send a back 7 defender when you can lay back in a 7 man zone with umbrella coverages.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash47 View Post
    I would like to add my two cents, this topic has got to be the most assinine subject ever brought up. First Tim Brown's credibility is in question, second of all, Callahan should have made better preparations then to allow the Bucs to guess what he was doing. Callahan was the dumbest coach in America, he said the Raiders were the dumbest team, he led by example, the Raiders just followed in his footsteps.
    The terminology in an NFL offense can't be changed that easily though without causing your offense to be confused.

The Bucs were picking up Gannons line calls since the QB calls out some of the protection adjustments in most WCO schemes.
    Last edited by Da Swami; 01-26-2013 at 01:45 AM.

vCash
    I remember we tried to run, didn't work. Same for Tampa Bay.

Later they stuck to the run and we went pass happy, as with most these things it came down to who made the first mistake. After that it was all over except for the crying. :cry:

Pic sixes will kill you.

"Just Win Baby!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NavajoRaiderfan View Post
    I remember we tried to run, didn't work. Same for Tampa Bay.

Later they stuck to the run and we went pass happy, as with most these things it came down to who made the first mistake. After that it was all over except for the crying. :cry:

Pic sixes will kill you.
    They made the first mistake when Woodsen picked Johnson. We got a FG and never really made any commitment to the run that day.

Not at any time.

vCash
    We were winning the battle through the first quarter. I think people panicked when Gannon wasn't true to form and ripping up their secondary with ease. A more patient/conservative approach may have succeeded, and not going for two after every bloody TD. That game was an old wound I am sure many a Raider Fan had wish Tim hadn't re-opened.

vCash
    Personally, i think the NFL is behind this conspiracy. I'm not even joking. I have a billion and ten reasons for believing this is true. I think the NFL had it out for Al Davis and they did whatever they could to stop them from succeeding. In fact, I think it's still in effect even though Al is not with us anymore.

Think about it: Raiders lose to Tampa Bay in Super Bowl.......................LMAO........yeah right! To our old coach and beloved J.G? Wow, what a coincidence!

And the year before? Can you spell...............tuck rule? It's a joke

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast