Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Jerry Rice, Charlie Garner validate Tim Brown's sUPERBOWL sabotge story

Jerry Rice was just on ESPN, fully agreeing with Tim Brown

Jerry Rice on SB sabotage: "Callahan said 'hey look, maybe we should sabotage this a one little bit & let Jon Gruden go out & win this one."

FROM pft:

We may need to put together a scorecard of the former Raiders who disagree and who agree with the suggestion by receiver Tim Brown that former coach Bill Callahan deliberately sabotaged Super Bowl XXXVII by changing the game plan two days before kickoff.

While three teammates who have spoken out so far disagree with Brown (Rich Gannon, Bill Romanowski, Lincoln Kennedy), former Raiders running back Charlie Garner sees a little merit in Brown’s contention.

“There may be something to what Mr. Brown has been saying,” told 97.5 The Fanatic in Philly. “I really don’t know the validity of which he despised the Raiders but I also know that he didn’t want to be there, too.”

Regardless of the reason, Garner agreed that something happened. “We came out with another game plan and it just was not what we practiced. . . . We as an organization and as a team had been through a lot of adversity so we were accustomed to it. Had we just stuck to the original game plan, I believe that we would have been successful.”

If Brown’s goal was to shine a fresh light on a game played a decade ago, Brown has been extremely successful.

vCash
    Lincoln Kennery doesn't, though from PFT as well:

We’re still waiting for one or more teammates of former Raiders receiver Tim Brown to corroborate his non-suggestion suggestion that former Raiders coach Bill Callahan “sabotaged” the team in Super Bowl XXXVII by changing the game plan two days before the game.

So far, at least three have not.

Joining quarterback Rich Gannon and linebacker Bill Romanowski is offensive tackle Lincoln Kennedy.

“I was trying to play over the scenario over and over in my head guys, I just can’t wrap my arms around it,” Kennedy told 95.7 The Game in San Francisco. “I can see why he felt that way, but I just can’t get behind it and say that I agree with it.”

Kennedy instead focuses on the fact that Callahan failed to change things, despite facing a team coached by the guy who had just coached the Raiders, Jon Gruden.

“Gruden gave them our complete playbook, our checks, they knew what we were doing,” Kennedy said. “They knew where we were going. That’s how they were able to have so many interceptions for touchdowns. Because honestly that was the difference in the football game.”

Brown also appeared on 95.7 The Game to elaborate on his beliefs. “The facts are what they are,” Brown said. “That the Friday before the Super Bowl, we changed our game plan. And I know that [Barret Robbins] talked to Callahan and asked Callahan not to do this because he did not have time to make his changes and you know get the calls right, but I can’t put that on Callahan’s back and I’m not trying to do that.”

But Brown is putting something much more significant on Callahan’s back.

“After that game, were the guys talking about sabotage? Absolutely,” Brown added. “We knew how much he loved Gruden. We knew how much he hated the Raiders. We knew the fact that he had walked off the field on us a couple times. So we knew that there was no love with him and the Raider organization. I never want to say that I thought it was sabotage because I’m having to say that I believe I know exactly what this man was thinking, and I can’t say that so I won’t say that. I just know that he is smart enough to know the outcome of the decision especially when you are dealing with football players and football plays.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chucklemethis View Post
    Lincoln Kennery doesn't, though from PFT as well:
    Chuck your obsession with this is alarming, I don`t believe anyone cares.

vCash
    Jerry Rice was just on ESPN, fully agreeing with Tim Brown

FROM pft:
    Was almost a decade ago, talking about it doesnt change a thing. There is no real mystery here, we lost plain and simple. Gruden knew exactly what we were doing before we did it. Hell, he wrote the playbook. I could win a SB too if I wrote the playbook for the opposing team. This is'nt groundbreaking news, it has been known for years.

vCash
    delete the thread then. I just thought it was interesting, and wanted to pass along. but I could give really give a ****. that was like an hour ago already

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_firm_09 View Post
    Chuck your obsession with this is alarming, I don`t believe anyone cares.
    Jerry Rice and charlie garner agee with brown, they are both superbowl winners. The fact that he didnt change the playbook, then ran plays that played into bucs strength says a lot. Nebraska fans hate callahan too. Then we were 4-12 next year under Callahan. btw...I think Barret Robbins should sue Callahan for screwing up his(robbins) life....Oh..you dont care because Tim Brown did not go to syracuse.

vCash
    delete the thread then. I just thought it was interesting, and wanted to pass along. but I could give really give a ****. that was like an hour ago already

Its all good Chuck, ain't nothing else to talk about!
    or read.

vCash
    I don't believe Callahan tanked the gameplan with the intent to throw the game. A superior Oakland Raiders team was outcoached by their former coach that afternoon, that's all there is to it. Want to play the blame game? Blame Al Davis, Gruden never should have been allowed to leave, that he did rests squarely on Al Davis.

vCash
    - Agrees to take over as head coach of a team he "hates"

- Has team play well enough to make it into the Super Bowl anyway

- Oh look, best friend Gruden is Super Bowl opponent

- Decides to lose Super Bowl to screw over Raiders and help Gruden

- Ends up coaching Big 12 team and then assistant coach with NY Jets

Really? Sounds legit
    PLEASE WELCOME THE NEW COACH OF YOUR OAKLAND RAIDERS.....

vCash
    I don't know why they're bring this up now...10 years later!
    I know the s*it hit the fan that week, and maybe they were distracted, but I don't believe Callahan tanked that game on purpose. This is very strange.

vCash
    And to just think, only yesterday I was reflecting how nice it was that the Raiders were not in the news prior to the Super Bowl this season. Romanowski seemed to be the voice of reason in this circus, imagine that. I am looking forward to better days ahead and some auspice of normalcy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Superglue View Post
    - Agrees to take over as head coach of a team he "hates"

- Has team play well enough to make it into the Super Bowl anyway

- Oh look, best friend Gruden is Super Bowl opponent

- Decides to lose Super Bowl to screw over Raiders and help Gruden

- Ends up coaching Big 12 team and then assistant coach with NY Jets

Really? Sounds legit
    - Wins Superbowl gets rewarded with a big contract from an NFL team.

- Gets his name written into NFL history.

- Earns a Superbowl ring.

- Guaranteed a seat in ESPN.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by weeman323 View Post
    - Wins Superbowl gets rewarded with a big contract from an NFL team.

- Gets his name written into NFL history.

- Earns a Superbowl ring.

- Guaranteed a seat in ESPN.
    nuff said.

vCash
    I have been listening to this all day. Personally in my opinion it's old news, why worry about it! Tim Brown is Mr. Raider and Call-what's his face was just another coach on this coaching carsoul.

But since we are talking about it, I have to wonder what was the motivation behind changing the game plan. You work and practice all week just to change it out right before the game. I heard Crockett on ESPN this morning and he said that the game plan was changed due to Robbins going MIA. But to add a little conspiracy to this.....What if Tim Brown is right and it was mentioned to the Center that he was going to change the plan and then Robbins told Brown or Brown found out that night after it already took place.

What a bad few years..... the Tuck Rule and now the Sabatoge! LOL.

vCash
    As far fetched as tanking the game sounds, I will go with Brown on this. Only cause brown is a life long Raider that I loved as a Kid and I can't stand Callahan.

The following year Callahan did hate the Raiders and let it be known.
    I guess a few players were mad about the coach changing the game plan at such short notice and still wonder why he did it to this day.

I know Robbins is Bi-Polar but just maybe this is why he bolted for Mexico a day before the game.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast