Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Jets meet with 'Honey Badger'

The Jets met with former LSU star Tyrann "Honey Badger" Mathieu at the Senior Bowl on Monday, according to multiple reports.

The troubled cornerback, who was arrested on drug-related charges in October, met with the media and teams Monday in hopes of improving his stock for the NFL draft. He is in Mobile, Ala., this week for the Senior Bowl.

"I'm not really looking forward to people trusting me today or tomorrow. Trust takes time, especially when you've done a lot of things for people not to be able to trust you," Mathieu said, according to The Associated Press. "It may take two years. It may take five years, it may take until I'm 30 years old for people to start trusting Tyrann again. But the truth is, I'm doing the right things and just looking forward to being a football player."

Mathieu will turn 21 in May. The 2011 Heisman Trophy finalist was booted from the LSU squad last summer for a violation of team rules; a source told ESPN.com in August that Mathieu had repeatedly violated LSU's substance abuse policy for athletes.

In 2011, Mathieu had two fumble recoveries for touchdowns as well as two punt returns for a score. He was also named the MVP of the 2011 SEC championship game and won the Chuck Bednarik Award, which is given to the top defensive college player.

Mathieu said that Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis, Giants cornerback Corey Webster and Arizona cornerback Patrick Peterson have been giving him advice through this process, according to the New York Post.

"This is my last shot," Mathieu said Monday. "You've got to learn when to do things and when not to do things, when to party and when not to party. Every day is football. That's the biggest thing I got out of it. I'm just ready to live a football life."

The Jets are set at cornerback with Revis, Antonio Cromartie and Kyle Wilson, but it never hurts to add depth -- Revis is coming off ACL surgery and Wilson has two years left on his deal.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...medium=twitter

Thoughts?

vCash
    6th or 7th round i have no problem. he's undersized for a DB but probably could impact the return game.
    twitter.com/heymangold

vCash
    depth is depth

vCash
    I think this guy is going to be a dynamic player in the NFL. If the Jets took him, he'd start where a traded Wilson left off at nickel and be a better player there. He can also play safety. I'd take a chance on him and it's interesting that the Jets are looking at him. Everyone says 6th-7th round, I say 4th-5th or he'll be gone.
    He's actually on my draft wish list.

Another known sighting involved the Jets speaking with Stepfan Taylor, RB from Stanford who had a very good day catching everything thrown to him at the Senior Bowl. He's not a speed guy but does everything well. Blocks, runs up the middle, receives. Could be a Marty-type back of the poor-man's LeSean McCoy variety.
    Last edited by John X Doe; 01-22-2013 at 01:53 PM.

vCash
    Everyone gets a second/third chance in life. This kid is young and hopefully has turned his life around. I would definitely pick him up in the later rounds.Good athlete.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by John X Doe View Post
    I think this guy is going to be a dynamic player in the NFL. If the Jets took him, he'd start where a traded Wilson left off at nickel and be a better player there. He can also play safety. I'd take a chance on him and it's interesting that the Jets are looking at him. Everyone says 6th-7th round, I say 4th-5th or he'll be gone.

Another known sighting involved the Jets speaking with Stepfan Taylor, RB from Stanford who had a very good day catching everything thrown to him at the Senior Bowl. He's not a speed guy but does everything well. Blocks, runs up the middle, receives. Could be a Marty-type back of the poor-man's LeSean McCoy variety.
    cosign all of this. regarding honey badger, at worst, he's a dynamic gunner on ST and a potentially lethal return man. at best, he's an above-average DB. he's likely to go in the mid-to-late rounds, and his transgressions aside, his talent is undeniable.
    JETSMETSKNICKSPENS
    GATOR BAIT!
    UCONN!!!

vCash
    I think he'd be better off at safety than CB. Maybe a Bob Sanders type?

vCash
    Late round? Take a flier, tons of talent, dynamic
    Go Knicks!

All time

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by John X Doe View Post

Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayJoe View Post
    cosign all of this. regarding honey badger, at worst, he's a dynamic gunner on ST and a potentially lethal return man. at best, he's an above-average DB. he's likely to go in the mid-to-late rounds, and his transgressions aside, his talent is undeniable.
    Chyeah.

vCash
    Id be happy with it! Why not

#Hernandezing

Quote Originally Posted by bwallstreet View Post
    haha delusional
    Someone underestimated the jets!

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    vCash
    YES, YES, YES and YES.

Talk about a playmaker? Return punts, return kickoffs (let McKnight play more RB) play in the nickel or see if he can play FS (maybe too small)

F' it, see if he can catch and let him run pass patterns. I would love to see this kid. Speed to burn (along with his weed)

vCash
    I'd evn use a 5th on him. 4th is where things start getting a little touchy.

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aNYer View Post
    I'd evn use a 5th on him. 4th is where things start getting a little touchy.
    Depending on who we grab in 1-3, I wouldn't be opposed. I think 4th is a place to gamble with a high - risk high reward guy.
    I guess it would be safe to say that it also depends who's there in the fourth.

vCash
    I wouldn't mind him as a 5th round pick, play him at NB and move Wilson to FS.

Contingent on Revis and Cro as CBs of course.

vCash
    I would pick him up in the 4th round. He is going to make an immediate impact as a returner and special teams ace. On defense, he is best served as a nickel back where he can blitz off of the edge.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast