Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    vCash
    This is more of a off the field signing to me. Doubt he plays much, but he's a guy that's been to the playoffs (a rarity on our roster) and is known for keeping the clubhouse in order. It's good to have a vet like this around. Highly doubt it hurts the team in anyway on the field and could play big dividens off the field.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Gruber View Post
    This is more of a off the field signing to me. Doubt he plays much, but he's a guy that's been to the playoffs (a rarity on our roster) and is known for keeping the clubhouse in order. It's good to have a vet like this around. Highly doubt it hurts the team in anyway on the field and could play big dividens off the field.
    I understand this is the narrative that fans are using as an excuse for this move, but if they really wanted him in the clubhouse, why couldn't they hire him in some sort of coaching position or a trainer or some miscellaneous title and save the roster spot for someone who could be useful.

vCash
    but I thought Dyson had the best stuff in the organization

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mtf View Post
    I understand this is the narrative that fans are using as an excuse for this move, but if they really wanted him in the clubhouse, why couldn't they hire him in some sort of coaching position or a trainer or some miscellaneous title and save the roster spot for someone who could be useful.
    You can't be a positive influence on teammates if you can't shower with them.

vCash
    Maybe he doesn't want to be a coach or trainer just yet? Personally I'm not going to lose any sleep over the filling of the last bench spot. The guy isn't here for his bat and should get very limited ABs. He's here for his defensive versatility and his clubhouse presence. He has 22 post season games on his resume and even though he was left off the Nats' playoff roster, he stayed with the team through it all. He's been there before and knows what it takes. That could go a long way on a team with massive expectations, yet very minimal playoff experience.

As far as the position players, Bautista, Encarnacion, Lawrie, Arencibia, Lind, Bonifacio and Davis have never had a playoff at bat. Reyes last played in the post-season when he was 23 years old. Rasmus spread 9 ABs over 3 games a few years ago and Izturis has had a bit part a few times pre-'09. The only position player that has seen any real playoff time is Melky Cabrera. The last being time being a couple years ago. Not exactly a playoff hardened crew.

Then you get to the rotation. Johnson, Dickey, Romero and Morrow have never started a playoff game. Buehrle in his career has started 4. The last going on 5 years ago.

That is very little playoff experience for a team with expectations as high as the Jays' are. I beleive that's the reason for this signing. And DeRosa has long been known as one of the best lockerroom guys in the entire bigs. Obviously last year proved the Jays were lacking leadership.

Hopefully they've found it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Gruber View Post
    Maybe he doesn't want to be a coach or trainer just yet? Personally I'm not going to lose any sleep over the filling of the last bench spot.
    Just quoted the first 2 sentences because the rest was just more of that Rogers narrative that I was referring to previously.

To response to the above portion of the quote, for that type of money he signed to, he or other similarly qualified individuals likely would have taken the position of a coach, trainer or other miscellaneously titled motivator. If he didn't, they shouldn't have given him this deal to play.

The playoffs are just more baseball games added on to the end of a season of 162 baseball games for a team. I don't really buy this new narrative that the Blue Jays needed someone with that "playoff experience" and highly doubt any of you would even be arguing that they needed it had they signed some 26 year old version of Mike McCoy or something instead of this guy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nirvana235 View Post
    You can't be a positive influence on teammates if you can't shower with them.
    So John Farrell is going to shower with the Red Sox players?

vCash
    How does his playoff experience (and I'd use that term loosely, since he didn't actually make the Nats' or Giants' playoff rosters and has't played a postseason game since 2009) help the team in actually reaching the playoffs? It's shocking to me that people are penciling this team into the playoffs already. This is still a roster with tangible holes, you would think the priority would be on filling those holes rather than adding a guy who contributes nothing on the field.
    Last edited by 2009mvp; 01-23-2013 at 06:24 PM.

vCash
    So John Farrell is going to shower with the Red Sox players?
    Obviously

Sydney, Australia but born in Exhibition Stadium
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009mvp View Post
    How does his playoff experience (and I'd use that term loosely, since he didn't actually make the Nats' or Giants' playoff rosters and has't played a postseason game since 2009) help the team in actually reaching the playoffs? It's shocking to me that people are penciling this team into the playoffs already. This is still a roster with tangible holes, you would think the priority would be on filling those holes rather than adding a guy who contributes nothing on the field.
    Well said.

I don't think we have a bunch of holes just 1...Lind.

I agree to a degree about the playoff experience thing. However, it's not like a bunch of rookie can't win the WS. It's still baseball and a game and who plays better. It's not like someone being on a WS team 4 years ago helps Lawrie get a hit. Maybe tells him to calm down a bit but, isn't that what the coaches are for?

I'd like to say the manager's playoff/WS experience but....
    Hey! It'S JoeyBatS

vCash
    Too late.
    I actually held back.
    Hey! It'S JoeyBatS

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Billyen View Post
    I actually held back.
    And yet you were still way out there, stranded in a giant field of crazy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Korac View Post
    I think you might just be being a little overly dramatic here. I don't think it's a good move either, but if you think this was the move that will define his tenure, I think you might be a little off.
    That's not what I said.
    If AA is gone in 5 years people/Rogers will look at signing like this. Maybe it’s 750k today or McGowan or hiring a manager because his "gut" said so.

What if it's 80M for a Lind like player? Let's say Bautista HRs were flukes and/or the league figured him out. That would have been bad signing/ext. It was a “bit” risky, as is EE’s ext.

Ok let’s play a game. Let's say Lind figures it out. He goes nuts and improves on his '09 numbers. Hits 45HR. .345+ and .1100+ OPS. Let's say the options aren't there. What if AA signs him to 120M/6 deal? Because his gut says so?

All I'm saying is AA is human and he's made some bad signing that looked bad from the start...really "scratch your head” bad. What if he does a couple big bad signing/trades?
    I’m just saying this “could” be the start of the end. I doubt it but, for all the greatness from AA…he does these dumb things that not even a hockey fan would do.

Relax…AA is the man…Just dumbfounded by some of these small moves he makes.
    Hey! It'S JoeyBatS

vCash
    OK I officially legit have no ****ing clue what you're talking about anymore

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009mvp View Post
    OK I officially legit have no ****ing clue what you're talking about anymore
    I think he's saying that Anthopoulos is human and fallible, as evidenced by a couple of insignificant signings like DeRosa and McGowan. This fallibility leaves him vulnerable to signing Adam Lind to a Jayson Werth type contract and getting himself fired as General Manager.

Billyen is just one of those genius' who see's things 10 steps ahead of the rest of us and we all think he's crazy because we can't comprehend his genius from our perspective.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast