Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rapsjaysfan88 View Post
    does this mean davis will platoon with lind? hopefully if lind sux copper gets a chance. why do we keep losing guys like dyson and mcdade on waivers to keepthe likes of mike mccoy?
    Dyson/McDade aren't good enough to play in the bigs, and there's only so long you can hang on to guys like that. That's no real loss.

vCash
    Crap move. Playing IL games at the NL park are pretty important. Late innings we need a bat off the bench..... dumb

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Twitchy View Post
    Or the Jays could use some common sense and look to teams that have crowded 1B/OF/DH options.

Like Seattle, for example. With Smoak, Montero, Morales, Morse, Gutierrez, Saunders, Bay and Ibanez that's 6-7 guys fighting for 5-6 spots. So that's going to leave Casper Wells without a position, and if you can acquire him that's a guy who had an 891 OPS last year vs lefties and 831 the year before. And he plays plus defence.

He's out of options, so if the M's don't find a spot for him, he'll have to clear waivers. So that means you'd give up a marginal player (read: non-prospect) to acquire him. For a guy essentially making the league minimum, kills lefties, and plays plus defence.

There are many more examples of players like that, who could fill in as the LHP killer while costing the team virtually nothing in a trade. The Jays don't have to use FA to find a bat. And they didn't have to waste a spot on an aging, worthless player when they could have found an actual upgrade.

Edit: It may seem silly to complain about such a small move, but it's more about the process. The Jays felt that DeRosa was more important than upgrading a spot for a player that could contribute. We saw all to well what happened last year with Vizquel on the bench - the Jays were often playing short handed, as he had no value and couldn't pinch hit/run/field without screwing up. I know people think that because he won't play he's not a problem, but that's exactly it - if he can't play, he's preventing someone who can help the Jays win from playing. So he hurts the Jays by playing like crap, and preventing them from using a good player in his spot.
    Yup i'm fully with you here.. you have a similar situation with the Padres who have Guzman and Kyle Blanks. Guzman has posted a .900+ OPS against lefties the last few year and Blanks is a guy you get for his potential

There are tonnes of other examples... hell i'm sure you can find a bunch of AAAA players that can smash lefties and play some OF

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009mvp View Post
    Dyson/McDade aren't good enough to play in the bigs, and there's only so long you can hang on to guys like that. That's no real loss.
    neither have had an opportunity, and id rather have some young guys with up side in our system then 30 yr old 200 avg mike mccoy...

vCash
    "In the system" is terribly vague. Sure you'd love to stash all of these guys in the minors somewhere, except the CBA prevents that. At some point you're forced to make a decision on them, can't be wasting 40 man spots on lottery tickets.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bomber0104 View Post
    Also, why would we designate Dyson.. did the organization give up on him already?
    Jays made a mistake bringing him up here last year. theres no doubt, he'll get claimed
    Last edited by Toxeryll; 01-22-2013 at 09:54 PM.

Sydney, Australia but born in Exhibition Stadium
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StayOnBoard View Post
    It is... which is kinda puzzling given Im almost positive they could have gotten him with nothing guaranteed.

I mean, it's only 750k but feels like a McGowan type risk, just unnecessary....
    It's moves dumb moves like this and McGowan (and Gibson to a degree.) that make me think AA starting to lose it a bit. Everyone says and tells him how great he is (which he is) and he does these totally out there (my gut...yoda moves)

I just hope one of these moves isn't the beginning of the end for him.

The deal makes no sense. 750k is life changing money for most and he just threw it out the window. Maybe there's a favor involved or something behind the scenes?

I better stop before I go too far.
    Hey! It'S JoeyBatS

vCash
    it is a dumb move. i dont know why were guaranteeing him money and a spot. hes useless

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Billyen View Post
    It's moves dumb moves like this and McGowan (and Gibson to a degree.) that make me think AA starting to lose it a bit. Everyone says and tells him how great he is (which he is) and he does these totally out there (my gut...yoda moves)

The deal makes no sense. 750k is life changing money for most and he just threw it out the window. Maybe there's a favor involved or something behind the scenes?

Too late.

vCash
    Can't waste 40 man spots on lotto tix but we are better keeping mike McCoy? If I'm a gm I know who I'd keep.

vCash
    Gibson? Gibbons you mean, and the dudes a good manager. MLB teams pisss 750 k, what negative effect could that have. Also McGowan was just a risk/reward move with no big risk,what 2 mil to Rogers? Think ur really complaining for nothing.

vCash
    Cool, except Mike McCoy isn't on the 40 man, so there's that.

vCash
    What a waste of a roster spot. The man is Visquel 2.0. Why not just give the spot to a guy like McCoy? De Rosa has actually been worse than McCoy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Billyen View Post

I think you might just be being a little overly dramatic here. I don't think it's a good move either, but if you think this was the move that will define his tenure, I think you might be a little off.

vCash
    Intangibles

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast