Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Sydney, Australia but born in Exhibition Stadium
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mtf View Post

Billyen is just one of those genius' who see's things 10 steps ahead of the rest of us and we all think he's crazy because we can't comprehend his genius from our perspective.
    Thank you. Someone who understand.
    Hey! It'S JoeyBatS

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Billyen View Post
    That's not what I said.
    If AA is gone in 5 years people/Rogers will look at signing like this. Maybe it’s 750k today or McGowan or hiring a manager because his "gut" said so.

What if it's 80M for a Lind like player? Let's say Bautista HRs were flukes and/or the league figured him out. That would have been bad signing/ext. It was a “bit” risky, as is EE’s ext.

Ok let’s play a game. Let's say Lind figures it out. He goes nuts and improves on his '09 numbers. Hits 45HR. .345+ and .1100+ OPS. Let's say the options aren't there. What if AA signs him to 120M/6 deal? Because his gut says so?

All I'm saying is AA is human and he's made some bad signing that looked bad from the start...really "scratch your head” bad. What if he does a couple big bad signing/trades?
    I’m just saying this “could” be the start of the end. I doubt it but, for all the greatness from AA…he does these dumb things that not even a hockey fan would do.

Relax…AA is the man…Just dumbfounded by some of these small moves he makes.
    Heh, I'm not going to attack you like some folks, but I do think you're stretching things a bit.

All GMs make bad signings...even the best GMs like Friedman and Beane. Comparing a 6yr/120m deal to the DeRosa, or even McGowen signings, is just kinda silly. 25th roster spot, 1 yr 750k deals are exactly where a GM SHOULD be going with their gut imo...It has marginal impact on the team and it is where intangibles that benefit the team could actually outweigh the small risks involved with the signing.

Look, I don't like the signing either. I personally think that he could have used the spot to get a real platoon partner for Lind, rather then burn it on a 'character' spot, but hey, he obviously feels differently. When he starts giving DeRosa types large, multi-year contracts then we can have this conversation for real.

vCash
    I think he's saying that Anthopoulos is human and fallible, as evidenced by a couple of insignificant signings like DeRosa and McGowan. This fallibility leaves him vulnerable to signing Adam Lind to a Jayson Werth type contract and getting himself fired as General Manager.

Billyen is just one of those genius' who see's things 10 steps ahead of the rest of us and we all think he's crazy because we can't comprehend his genius from our perspective.
    This.....

Or he had one too many wobbly pops. Cut him some slack. You don't always have to be so aggressive. (Look at the stove calling the kettle black).

vCash
    Pretty much a depth signing, which we don't need.

I can see them DFA'ing him as the season progresses.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIUMPHATOR View Post
    This.....

Or he had one too many wobbly pops. Cut him some slack. You don't always have to be so aggressive. (Look at the stove calling the kettle black).
    1. It wasn't aggressive
    2. I can be whatever I want to be!

vCash
    Bad signing, but we probably end up DFA-ing the guy midseason and trading for a replacement. Dude's bat is garbage... if he's our best pinch-hitting option, the Jays have a problem. And the utility guy logic doesn't work because we already signed one utility guy in Izturis. It looks like AA wanted a bench bat to backup Lawrie at 3B, but we could've definitely done better than Mark DeRosa, and on a guaranteed deal no less.

If we wanted a veteran backup 3B, why not Scott Rolen? Or we could potentially let Izturis backup 3B and grab someone to push Lind. Regardless, I just hope AA fixes his mistake, and he should also find a decent bat to add on a minor league contract.
    Last edited by jaysfan4ever; 01-27-2013 at 04:10 AM.

vCash
    Bonifacio is the backup at third. There is no baseball reasoning for signing Mark DeRosa, you can stop looking.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009mvp View Post
    Bonifacio is the backup at third. There is no baseball reasoning for signing Mark DeRosa, you can stop looking.
    Yeah, I'm gonna roll with that.

vCash
    If AA started the offseason with DeRosa and ended with the good stuff.... this would be a non-point. However, AA, if you are listening...lol, to load up like this and have the last move suck big time, arg, it lets a little air out of the balloon.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by town123 View Post
    If AA started the offseason with DeRosa and ended with the good stuff.... this would be a non-point. However, AA, if you are listening...lol, to load up like this and have the last move suck big time, arg, it lets a little air out of the balloon.
    It doesn't diminish any of his other moves. They all stand on their own. This is what it is, a 25th man on the roster. It's just a bad choice.

Nobody's perfect, including Anthopoulos. I'd rather have him making his mistakes on stuff like this than on starting the season with Brett Cecil in the rotation or Frank Francisco at the end of the bullpen.

vCash
    It doesn't diminish any of his other moves. They all stand on their own. This is what it is, a 25th man on the roster. It's just a bad choice.

Nobody's perfect, including Anthopoulos. I'd rather have him making his mistakes on stuff like this than on starting the season with Brett Cecil in the rotation or Frank Francisco at the end of the bullpen.
    Yeah completely agree with this ^

It's probably a mistake to sign DeRosa (I say probably because you never really know) but Im fine if he goofs on small deals like this.... much better than seeing Francisco close out games which thank God Ill never have to watch again in my lifetime.

Had to be done! Go T-Rex

vCash

vCash
    IMO, the 25th guy should be a rule 5 guy. Always invest in your future by plucking some value and letting the kid learn the on/off field stuff from your linchpins. (at present, Jose and RAD among others)

vCash
    ^^Maybe way back in the day, but over time baseball's essentially killed the Rule 5 draft. You just don't find any talent in that pool anymore.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456