Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    its 750k............i dont think its gonna bankrupt rogers

"I stole and I robbed ....and I kidnapped the President's son and held him for ransom, AND I DIDNT GET CAUGHT NEITHA ! " - Prison Mike

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jon32 View Post
    its 750k............i dont think its gonna bankrupt rogers
    Yeah that's kinda my take on it too. I get it's not really a sharp move, even if you are one short on your bench... IMO there's other options.

And for the life of me I don't get why the contract is guaranteed... minors deal with a ST invite would make much more sense.

But it is what it is.... so not too concerned given how low risk it is. Im much more annoyed by resigning McGowan than I am with this.

Had to be done! Go T-Rex

vCash
    This is worse than the McGowan contract. If McGowan actually was healthy and left as a FA all we'd hear over the next 10 years is "why didn't the Jays try to keep McGowan" like we hear with Carpenter. McGowan actually has the potential (however remote it is) to produce something. DeRosa is guaranteed to fail like Vizquel did.

**Note that I'm not saying McGowan will be healthy at any point or that his contract is good.

Vic Mackey: You better figure out how much you hate me. And how you're going to deal with that. 'Cause I'm not going anywhere.

This sums up every sports interview, ever.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Twitchy View Post
    This is worse than the McGowan contract. If McGowan actually was healthy and left as a FA all we'd hear over the next 10 years is "why didn't the Jays try to keep McGowan" like we hear with Carpenter. McGowan actually has the potential (however remote it is) to produce something. DeRosa is guaranteed to fail like Vizquel did.
    A difference of opinion for sure. I hated the McGowan "extension" and it looks even worse now than it did back then (while, looking awful back then too).

Don't get me wrong, I don't care for this move at all... but Im not going to be upset about it either. I get why you think it's a bad signing and it is... I don't disagree.

Had to be done! Go T-Rex

vCash
    which is prob what the jays were thinking too.....which i guess doesnt make it the dumbest thing to do ? hes a good pitcher when healthy

"I stole and I robbed ....and I kidnapped the President's son and held him for ransom, AND I DIDNT GET CAUGHT NEITHA ! " - Prison Mike

vCash
    Considering they said the budget is already stretched thin I don't get why they would waste any money on DeRosa.

I realize it's a minor move but this is so dumb.
    Guess we couldn't have a perfect offseason. Oh well, if it's the biggest mistake AA makes this year, I can deal with it.

vCash

**Note that I'm not saying McGowan will be healthy at any point or that his contract is good.
    Not a fan of this either, and agree that the McGowan extension - while bad - is far better. But hey, he appeared in 48 games for a pretty darn good team last year. Hope he doesn't appear in any more than that for us, and we enjoy a similar season (minus the disappointing end)

vCash

Why is this even a big deal? He is clearly there for his leadership and basically going to be a bench warmer based on the depth of the bench.

The Brilliant Plan of How to Get Andrew Wiggins in a Toronto Uniform
    Quote Originally Posted by deaner View Post
    All I'm saying is the league wants to see Toronto succeeded. An outside chance Silver could say to philly... You know... That's a great trade offer from Toronto for the first pick. It's up to you but we'd love to see wiggins in Toronto.

vCash
    Issue isn't the 750k, it's burning a roster spot on a guy whose contributions extend only as far as the dugout. That would be awesome if the Jays' lineup was stacked with 9 all-stars (which a lot of people seem to be pretending it is), but there are still holes that needed to be filled. Hell, even if you were for some odd reason satisfied with the DH situation, isn't that spot better spent on a middle infielder who could competently fill in at short if Reyes is down even for just a week or so? I think Bonifacio is a mess in the infield in general, at short? Yikes. We talk about wanting depth all the time, having DeRosa on the roster prevents that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lajoie View Post
    Why is this even a big deal? He is clearly there for his leadership and basically going to be a bench warmer based on the depth of the bench.
    Vizquel was here for his leadership, and look what that got us. A guy who trashed the coaching staff and the organization, and watched countless problems (his words) and did nothing about it.

Everybody talks about Jose Bautista being a leader in the clubhouse - so why do the Jays need a leader that can't contribute on the field like DeRosa?

And as MVP said, the Jays needed that roster spot to help improve the offence. A real right handed bat off the bench would be ideal to platoon with Lind. If the Jays lose any games vs LHP by 1 run, you can point to this signing that prevented them from getting a real hitter in the lineup to help them win games. An exaggeration? Maybe, but there is some truth behind it too.

Everybody likes to believe that players can make these magical speeches to help them win games like we see in the movies. That's not how it works. Teams win games by having the most talent. Did DeRosa help the Nats last year, or did the emergence of Harper/Stras along with the addition of Gonzalez and Detwiler help them win games?

The Jays are trying to win a World Series here, not win the nicest, gosh darn, folksiest award. You do that by bringing in talent, not by burning roster spots on marginal players who don't contribute to a team.

Vic Mackey: You better figure out how much you hate me. And how you're going to deal with that. 'Cause I'm not going anywhere.

This sums up every sports interview, ever.

vCash
    He hit .364 vs RHP the last 3 seasons, is a utility guy and costs 750 grand. Why not.

vCash
    Vizquel was here for his leadership, and look what that got us. A guy who trashed the coaching staff and the organization, and watched countless problems (his words) and did nothing about it.

Everybody talks about Jose Bautista being a leader in the clubhouse - so why do the Jays need a leader that can't contribute on the field like DeRosa?

And as MVP said, the Jays needed that roster spot to help improve the offence. A real right handed bat off the bench would be ideal to platoon with Lind. If the Jays lose any games vs LHP by 1 run, you can point to this signing that prevented them from getting a real hitter in the lineup to help them win games. An exaggeration? Maybe, but there is some truth behind it too.

Everybody likes to believe that players can make these magical speeches to help them win games like we see in the movies. That's not how it works. Teams win games by having the most talent. Did DeRosa help the Nats last year, or did the emergence of Harper/Stras along with the addition of Gonzalez and Detwiler help them win games?

The Jays are trying to win a World Series here, not win the nicest, gosh darn, folksiest award. You do that by bringing in talent, not by burning roster spots on marginal players who don't contribute to a team.
    Selling the idea of using your head rather than your heart is never going to work with Toronto sports fans. People still love Mike Brown and John MacDonald here more than Phil Kessel and Edwin Encarnacion respectively.

A lot of sports fans are stupid people in general, and Toronto has more than it's fair share that fall into that category.

vCash
    No, personality obviously matters as with any city, but nobody in their right mind likes Mike Brown more than Phil Kessel in this city. Pretty fallacious argument to say that Toronto is more into character than talent, escpecially with the recent success this city has had.

This is a utility signing who hit RHP well and with the team reaching their budget, why are people getting so upset over a 25th man? Can this seasons start already?

vCash
    I really wish we would just sign a serviceable platoon for Lind. He shoudnt face a lefty ever again. Derosa doesnt fit that bill.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mbowens81 View Post
    He hit .364 vs RHP the last 3 seasons, is a utility guy and costs 750 grand. Why not.
    Uhh, you wanna double check those numbers?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast