Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Youarewrong View Post
    What is with you people? We finished 2nd or 3rd in the league last year in offense, and only lost Jagr and JVR (who was hurt half the season). We had to rely on guys like Bourdon, Gus, Manning, and Marshall as 5th & 6th defensman for long streches last year. Bryzgalov DID not have a good year. His numbers arent horrible, but he let in a lot of soft goals at poor times. We might not be the number 1 team, but I would say we still have very good chance at the cup....

Remember, if the cup was only given out to those who "should" win, then it would barely ever be handed out.
    Im totally with ya. As long as they stay healthy and are competitive, they can make a run in the playoffs. Anything is truly possible once you make it to the playoffs. The senators as an 8th seed were one game away from knocking off the heavily favored New York Rangers. And we obviously know the Kings shocked everyone and won as an 8 seed last year.

Yes, its true. Our team isnt where it needs to be. But that doesn't mean they cant pick it up. Look at the last few years. They started out incredibly strong and fizzled at the end. Maybe a 48 game season is what they need to pound home a strong playoff run. Who knows??

vCash
    What do you guys think about trying to add Sykora? Hartnell-Giroux-Sykora, Briere-Schenn-Simmonds, Read-Couturier-Voracek, Fedetenko-Talbot-Wellwood/Rinaldo. I think this team could use a little more depth at the wing

City of Brotherly Love

vCash
    Last night was a perfect example of how this current squad is built. Scoring goals is going to be tough and that is just the truth.

I don’t wanna sound like a Debbie downer but am I the only one that thinks G is playing horrible? Errant passes all over the place. He made that diving stick lift yesterday but everyone seemed to miss the part where he was originally dogging it getting back which forced him to make a diving play…

vCash
    The D looks bad, to slow. Time to call up Gust, Bourdon, and Manning lets get some speed on the back end. Sit Grossman, Schenn, and Foster. Plus give Leighton the start againest the Rangers. Bryz gets blasted 1 more game and the media and fans will start calling for his head. If we lose to the Rangers then something needs to happen to change things up. Firing Lavy isn't the answer, but trading a player or sending someone to the minors to wake people up might be.

vCash
    there is no 'jumping' ... i'm going to watch every game this great season ... but we are boys among men on the ice .... ALL of our really major peices are under 25 and two of them (b.schenn and couturier) are both 20 ...

this team is going to grow and be a powerhouse ... but not in year 2 of a rebuild ... we don't even have a #1 defensemen ...

new jersey has 5 Dmen that are as talented as Coburn ... we only have 2 ...

it is just the truth ...

G isn't playing poorly, he doesn't have anyone to play with that is at his level or hockey intelligence so he seems 'off' ....

Couturier is trying to figure out second line responsibilities and duties - along with increased ice time ...

give the kids time to grow and dont expect a cup this year, that is crazy ...

all this being said ... luke schenn better find his d*ck tonight and fight someone on the rangers ... he needs to set the tone for our D on this new team
    Last edited by castan_b; 01-23-2013 at 09:10 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lbz88 View Post
    The D looks bad, to slow. Time to call up Gust, Bourdon, and Manning lets get some speed on the back end. Sit Grossman, Schenn, and Foster. Plus give Leighton the start againest the Rangers. Bryz gets blasted 1 more game and the media and fans will start calling for his head. If we lose to the Rangers then something needs to happen to change things up. Firing Lavy isn't the answer, but trading a player or sending someone to the minors to wake people up might be.
    the only thing that has made any sense above is the bring up the younger guys on D ... we can't get any worse ...

bryz played fantastic last night ... i honestly think you don't watch the games ... the first goal was COMPLETELY Couturier's fault for not tracking with his man across the front of the net ... 2nd goal was a fluke and the 3rd goal was a PK from one the best in the league ...

Lavy is the team's coach for the next 5 years

adjustments in expectations needs to happen here ...

vCash
    I've watched all 3 games. Bryz looks good, but this is Philly and he gives up 3+ goals againest the Rangers and we lose people will call for his head.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by castan_b View Post
    there is no 'jumping' ... i'm going to watch every game this great season ... but we are boys among men on the ice .... ALL of our really major peices are under 25 and two of them (b.schenn and couturier) are both 20 ...

this team is going to grow and be a powerhouse ... but not in year 2 of a rebuild ... we don't even have a #1 defensemen ...

new jersey has 5 Dmen that are as talented as Coburn ... we only have 2 ...

it is just the truth ...

G isn't playing poorly, he doesn't have anyone to play with that is at his level or hockey intelligence so he seems 'off' ....

Couturier is trying to figure out second line responsibilities and duties - along with increased ice time ...

give the kids time to grow and dont expect a cup this year, that is crazy ...

all this being said ... luke schenn better find his d*ck tonight and fight someone on the rangers ... he needs to set the tone for our D on this new team

The thing is, I don't think anyone is expecting the cup this year, but I'm not going to say it won't happen. I know that it's not the best team that wins, but the team that is playing the best come playoff time. I think this team is good enough to get into the playoffs, and like you said the kids need time to adjust. Give them a couple games, get Briere back to balance the lines, and you will start to see them put up 4-5 goals per game like last year.

Yes the more I look the more the defense is looking too slow. Gus and Bourdon are hurt, so they aren't the options, and I don't think Manning is going to add much. The Flyers have plenty of assets in which to add a defenseman or 2. The deadline is not until April. This team is good enough to hang onto a playoff spot, and by the time the deadline comes around there will be plenty of teams that know they will be out. We will be able to score a defenseman from one of them.

I'm going to pause a sec before saying this because I dont think I would say this, but at this point even Bouwmeister might look good.
    "Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly upon our own point of view.", "The circle is now complete. When I left you I was but the learner, now I am the master.", "I find your lack of faith disturbing.", "I can feel your anger... it gives you focus, it makes you stronger!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Youarewrong View Post
    The thing is, I don't think anyone is expecting the cup this year, but I'm not going to say it won't happen. I know that it's not the best team that wins, but the team that is playing the best come playoff time. I think this team is good enough to get into the playoffs, and like you said the kids need time to adjust. Give them a couple games, get Briere back to balance the lines, and you will start to see them put up 4-5 goals per game like last year.

Yes the more I look the more the defense is looking too slow. Gus and Bourdon are hurt, so they aren't the options, and I don't think Manning is going to add much. The Flyers have plenty of assets in which to add a defenseman or 2. The deadline is not until April. This team is good enough to hang onto a playoff spot, and by the time the deadline comes around there will be plenty of teams that know they will be out. We will be able to score a defenseman from one of them.

I'm going to pause a sec before saying this because I dont think I would say this, but at this point even Bouwmeister might look good.

J-Bo has been on the ice for nearly all goals against the Flames so far this season. i believe the last stat i saw was 6 of the 7 goals against. that shipped has sailed my friend, he's long gone.

vCash
    Is a trade really worth it though? Unless we can snag a major piece moving forward, someone who is young and can contribute in two years to three years (I.e. Weber), it won’t do much good. A guy like J-Bo is a stop gap, and a stop gap isn’t going to do anything to help this squad out. Let this team go through the growing pains. Let the kids find some heart and grit. Trim the fat. This is a critical year for the Flyers. This year sets in motion the next few. Develop the core and add the additional pieces as we move forward, say NO to stop gaps.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by elate View Post
    Is a trade really worth it though? Unless we can snag a major piece moving forward, someone who is young and can contribute in two years to three years (I.e. Weber), it wonít do much good. A guy like J-Bo is a stop gap, and a stop gap isnít going to do anything to help this squad out. Let this team go through the growing pains. Let the kids find some heart and grit. Trim the fat. This is a critical year for the Flyers. This year sets in motion the next few. Develop the core and add the additional pieces as we move forward, say NO to stop gaps.

agreed 100%

vCash
    I hope they don't make any drastic moves like the Bryz signing. We have a lot of good young pieces and i'd rather see us develop that young talent and add pieces to it over the next few years. I really hope they don't make a dumb trade and give up more draft picks and young players

City of Brotherly Love

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ironman9518 View Post
    I hope they don't make any drastic moves like the Bryz signing. We have a lot of good young pieces and i'd rather see us develop that young talent and add pieces to it over the next few years. I really hope they don't make a dumb trade and give up more draft picks and young players

agreed. team is full of young talent. I mean you wanna go guys 25 and younger:

G
    Voracek
    Simmonds
    B. Schenn
    L. Schenn
    Couts
    Read (ok so he's 26)
    Gustaffson
    Laughton

only real problem i see there is that out of those guys only 2 are defensemen. that being said, their draft pick from this past draft, Gostisbehere, has really impressed. i watched those world junior games during the lockout. the kid can play. skates well, really moves the puck, has a pretty damn good shot from the point. he's not a big, physical guy, but he can really move the puck and skate. i like what i've seen from him thus far.

the team really does have some great young pieces. it may take a while to develop but it will be worth it in the end. teams like chicago, pittsburgh, and even now edmonton can be used as examples of that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by elate View Post
    Is a trade really worth it though? Unless we can snag a major piece moving forward, someone who is young and can contribute in two years to three years (I.e. Weber), it won’t do much good. A guy like J-Bo is a stop gap, and a stop gap isn’t going to do anything to help this squad out. Let this team go through the growing pains. Let the kids find some heart and grit. Trim the fat. This is a critical year for the Flyers. This year sets in motion the next few. Develop the core and add the additional pieces as we move forward, say NO to stop gaps.
    The thing is you might not have to trade much for a "stop-gap" At the deadline, I bet someone like Bouwmeester might be had for a 2nd and 3rd round pick...

So J-Bo was on ice for 6 of 7. But I'm just curious what his Ice time is, and how many were PP goals where he was defender... He is a mobil D-man that can be had for cheap because of his contract. And his contract expires at the perfect time for the Flyers, the year Giroux, Schenn, and Couts are RFA.

To be honest I really don't want him, but he wouldn't be a bad option to add for the playoffs if there is no-one else. You dont have to trade anyone for him.
    "Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly upon our own point of view.", "The circle is now complete. When I left you I was but the learner, now I am the master.", "I find your lack of faith disturbing.", "I can feel your anger... it gives you focus, it makes you stronger!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ironman9518 View Post
    What do you guys think about trying to add Sykora? Hartnell-Giroux-Sykora, Briere-Schenn-Simmonds, Read-Couturier-Voracek, Fedetenko-Talbot-Wellwood/Rinaldo. I think this team could use a little more depth at the wing
    I'll tell you something, I used to kinda hate Petr Sykora but at the same time I dug him. He's pretty talented and still is. I can't understand how he's hasn't found a job yet with how well he proved himself in Jersey last year, unless he's just mulling it over with whatever offers he has right now. And there's no doubt he'd come cheap so you know what, I'd say sign him. I don't care what anybody says we need help up front real bad. I'm praying that the young guys aren't gonna have a sophomore slump this year but these past three games have given me a bad omen. Yeah, sign him and bury that penalty magnet Rinaldo, there's no time to **** around like that this season when every game counts.

On another note, I mean so far we haven't looked good but would anybody else agree that Bryz actually looks pretty good in goal? There's no question that the defense is causing our losses...and a little bit can be blamed on the forwards but honestly the only thing, in my opinion, keeping us in the games is Bryz. Never thought i'd say that.

By the way I don't want to give off the impression that I'm panicking or anything, I've been viewing these games still feeling secure and content with where we're at despite the results of these past three games. But you gotta wonder if they're gonna keep playing like **** and if injuries are gonna be a problem somewhere along the line. Great teams can fall apart very fast, like the Red Wings for instance.
    Last edited by Ernie Hudson; 01-23-2013 at 01:26 PM.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast