Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Concerned, but not.

So after the first 2 games of the season I am concerned about the 2 loses and the slippery slope the Flyers are on. Without winning a few games in the next stretch they could find themselves in a hole difficult to crawl out of. And please don't preach about other teams in the past, they didnít have 3 point SO games to factor in.

So with that said, I can say I am really not very concerned about this team. Bryz has looked good in his first 2 starts. Of the goals he has let in, you can only ask that he could make a big save on 1 or 2 of them, but really they were good goals. He hasn't misplayed the puck causing a goal, and his angles look good. Solid.

Onto Defense. I originally thought this would be our Achilles heal. Well, I am happy with the additions of Schenn and Foster, and Meszaros looks better then I thought he would. Grossmann doesn't look as impressive as he did last season, but again the defense did a great job against Pittsburgh, and on 5-0n-5 did a good-decent job on Buffalo. I'm not too worried unless there is an injury.

Our offense is just fine. It is only a matter of time, and some not so superior goaltending away from opening up. Voracek and Hartnell haven't shown me much, but Simmonds, Giroux, Schenn, Couts, and others look very comfortable. Only a matter of time IMO.

On Laughton. At first I was pissed they drafted this guy instead of a defenseman. I was "WTF" they already have Giroux, Schenn, and Couturier... plus Cousins... Who needs another center?" I was wrong. He looks awesome. Pushes hard for the puck... is in the right place at the right time.... It is only a matter of time before the pucks start going in for him. While Couts was more of a defensive player, I am more impressed with Laughton's play then I was with Couts play on this trial. I sure hope this kid sticks when Briere comes back. Wouldn't mind making room for him at all.

Hartnell-Giroux-Briere
    Schenn-Couturier-Voracek
    Read-Laughton-Simmonds
    Fedotenko-Talbot-Rinaldo/Wellwood
    "Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly upon our own point of view.", "The circle is now complete. When I left you I was but the learner, now I am the master.", "I find your lack of faith disturbing.", "I can feel your anger... it gives you focus, it makes you stronger!"

vCash
    I as well am not too concerned as its only two games in. I am however tired of the slow starts and constantly playing from behind. Its a disturbing trend that was prevalent much of last year, so much so I wonder if they even know how to play a game with the lead!!!!

vCash
    really tough schedule to start

pens, buffalo (away), NJ (away) and NYR ... really tough ...

this team isnt a cup contender anyways this year, i'm just happy to have hockey and watch some of the young guys grow ...

that is why i dont think we will see a big trade this year either, we are too far away from true cup contention ... next year, we have a legit shot if Schenns and Couturier step up this year ...

the soph slump is going to destroy us this year too ...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by castan_b View Post
    really tough schedule to start

pens, buffalo (away), NJ (away) and NYR ... really tough ...

this team isnt a cup contender anyways this year, i'm just happy to have hockey and watch some of the young guys grow ...

that is why i dont think we will see a big trade this year either, we are too far away from true cup contention ... next year, we have a legit shot if Schenns and Couturier step up this year ...

the soph slump is going to destroy us this year too ...

This is just silly. Why are we too far away from "Cup Contention"? Because we aren't the number 1 favorite to win? Were New Jersey and LA Cup Contendors at the start of last year? Both barely made the playoffs, and NJ missed the playoffs the year before.... I could see you saying this if we were Columbus, or the Islanders, but to say we aren't Cup Contendors is just laughable, especially in a shortened season.

As a matter of fact, boy wouldn't it be nice to get a 6 or 7 seed and play a SE divison opponent while NYR and Pitt or NJ tear eachother up in the first round...
    "Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly upon our own point of view.", "The circle is now complete. When I left you I was but the learner, now I am the master.", "I find your lack of faith disturbing.", "I can feel your anger... it gives you focus, it makes you stronger!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Youarewrong View Post
    This is just silly. Why are we too far away from "Cup Contention"? Because we aren't the number 1 favorite to win? Were New Jersey and LA Cup Contendors at the start of last year? Both barely made the playoffs, and NJ missed the playoffs the year before.... I could see you saying this if we were Columbus, or the Islanders, but to say we aren't Cup Contendors is just laughable, especially in a shortened season.

As a matter of fact, boy wouldn't it be nice to get a 6 or 7 seed and play a SE divison opponent while NYR and Pitt or NJ tear eachother up in the first round...

i think your expectations of this team are far to high ... if pronger was playing, that is a different story ... but gun to your head, i can think of 3 teams in the eastern conference who are better then us and would be heavily favored in a playoff series

boston
    NYR
    Pitt

we are in that second group of teams

buffalo
    caps
    flyers
    lightening

i just don't see it this year ... this year is more of a growth year and less of a 'catch people by surprise' year (like last year was)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by castan_b View Post
    i think your expectations of this team are far to high ... if pronger was playing, that is a different story ... but gun to your head, i can think of 3 teams in the eastern conference who are better then us and would be heavily favored in a playoff series

boston
    NYR
    Pitt

we are in that second group of teams

buffalo
    caps
    flyers
    lightening

i just don't see it this year ... this year is more of a growth year and less of a 'catch people by surprise' year (like last year was)
    I could pick 7-8 teams better then anyone thought NJ would be at the beginning of last season, and I could think of about 5 other teams in the west better then LA at the beginning of the year. That means nothing. The Flyers might not be the favorites, but in no way should we not expect to win. This is a playoff team, and once your in the playoffs you need to be healthy, and have good goaltending...

BTW the Penguins were heavily favored in last seasons playoffs too.

vCash
    We aren’t a cup team. I don’t think you could argue it any other way.

You have to look at last season. The only reason we did well was because of surprise/career years from a lot of players. We also tend to forget that while it didn’t seem it, Ilya gave us some of the best numbers in net that the Flyers have had in some time.

Look at our team on paper. I don’t think there is a ton of goals on that roster. Giroux, Hartnell, and? We’ll have to rely on Briere who, if you recall, didn’t play overly well last year and is starting this one out injured.

Our first two games proved one critical point; we are going to have to work for our goals, plain and simple. That fact alone means every game is going to be close and the presents the risk of losing a few that otherwise should be won outright. The loss of Carle only compounds the problem as it forces Mesz to not only fulfill his own point production, but step up and provide for Carle’s as well.

Why do you think Homer went so hard after the big free agents? This team isn’t built to dominate. It will (hopefully) but this isn’t the season. We have to take this one for what it is, a developmental season. All we can ask for is some good competitive hockey and to not lose to the Penguins…

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by elate View Post
    We aren’t a cup team. I don’t think you could argue it any other way.

You have to look at last season. The only reason we did well was because of surprise/career years from a lot of players. We also tend to forget that while it didn’t seem it, Ilya gave us some of the best numbers in net that the Flyers have had in some time.

Look at our team on paper. I don’t think there is a ton of goals on that roster. Giroux, Hartnell, and? We’ll have to rely on Briere who, if you recall, didn’t play overly well last year and is starting this one out injured.

Our first two games proved one critical point; we are going to have to work for our goals, plain and simple. That fact alone means every game is going to be close and the presents the risk of losing a few that otherwise should be won outright. The loss of Carle only compounds the problem as it forces Mesz to not only fulfill his own point production, but step up and provide for Carle’s as well.

Why do you think Homer went so hard after the big free agents? This team isn’t built to dominate. It will (hopefully) but this isn’t the season. We have to take this one for what it is, a developmental season. All we can ask for is some good competitive hockey and to not lose to the Penguins…
    What is with you people? We finished 2nd or 3rd in the league last year in offense, and only lost Jagr and JVR (who was hurt half the season). We had to rely on guys like Bourdon, Gus, Manning, and Marshall as 5th & 6th defensman for long streches last year. Bryzgalov DID not have a good year. His numbers arent horrible, but he let in a lot of soft goals at poor times. We might not be the number 1 team, but I would say we still have very good chance at the cup....

Remember, if the cup was only given out to those who "should" win, then it would barely ever be handed out.

vCash
    The Flyers will earn themselves a top ten draft pick this season.

vCash
    I'm saving this thread for ammo later. No jumping back on the wagon after jumping off after 2 games.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Youarewrong View Post
    I'm saving this thread for ammo later. No jumping back on the wagon after jumping off after 2 games.
    i don't agree with you much, but i'm with you here. this team has serious potential, especially in a short season. the biggest concern with having a young team is that they won't last all year due to fatigue or hitting the wall. having this shortened season could really play to the Flyers' advantage if they can catch fire late (though i guess that really applies to any team).

regardless, i'm with you man. i like the Flyers' odds to compete. not saying they are favored by any stretch, but they certainly have a legit shot.

vCash
    There is serious potential but almost all of this is on the shoulder of two kids who are 21 and 20, not only to step up and be contributors, but step up and be amazingly important pieces. We're talking kids who, in a full season, would have been counted on 50-60 points when neither topped 30 last year. They'd have had to have doubled their production coming into this season. Counting on Voracek who's been around a 50 point player to step up and add 10-15 points.

The expectations of the young kids seems to be out of whack. They're good kids. Real good. But they struggled to dominate at the AHL level. I don't quite trust them yet. We're seeing how much trouble we're having without Briere right now in generating scoring.

We're great long term, but we're a long shot cup team today. We're around a top 10 team, but we're not a top team.

And yes, while NJ was a shock last year, LA was not. LA was considered pre-season as a real possibility.
    #WhyNot?

People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

vCash
    I hate to say it but this 0-3 start is really a bad sign. We can't kill a penalty, can't score a goal and the defense is absolutely pathetic. Now I see why Homer was going after Weber so hard. We need to trade some of the young forwards and get some quality defenseman, otherwise, we can't expect anything except a top 10 pick, depending on how the lottery goes. I'm very disgusted with this team, not that I expected a Cup but at least expected a better effort than this group of losers.

vCash
    I give it 10 days until the media starts questioning Giroux being named captain

vCash
    It's a short season and a high draft pick could be a good thing. This team wasn't going anywhere this season any way.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast