Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Senior Bowl Time!!!!

It's here!

One of the biggest weeks of the draft process, the Senior Bowl has long been a proving ground for under-the-radar players who want to serve notice that they are ready to take it to the next level.

These players come into Mobile, Alabama quietly, but by the time the week is out, they've made some noise.

The Vikings are definitely in the market for wide receiver help. Jarius Wright is still a bit raw and Jerome Simpson underwhelmed in 2012—Percy Harvin can't do it by himself, right?

Yesterday I watched the South squad practice and three receivers stood out to me—one who should have and two whom I didn't expect.

Of course, Baylor's Terrance Williams was a guy who was supposed to produce, and he certainly did that. Williams is a big, strong wide receiver who battled with the defensive backs during 7-on-7 drills and made them earn their pay.

He showed good speed, some great hands and the ability to adjust to some badly thrown balls—something which happened a lot with a South quarterback group which struggled.

Williams is definitely someone the Vikings should be looking at—his ability to adjust to the flight of the ball and his long reach make him someone who could be a big help to Christian Ponder.

The next two guys were surprises.

keep an eye on Ryan Swope out of Texas A&M.

Swope has good size and arm length, though his hands are a bit small—a concern which would prove founded a little later.

In individual drills, Swope was on fire. He ran tight routes and drills and made some great catches. Once the defensive backs were added though, he struggled and had a few bad drops.

One thing that is a definite plus, though, is that he learns from his mistakes and is coachable.

At one point, Swope missed on a badly thrown ball—well behind him and with minimal chance of making a play. He tried—he just couldn't pull it off.

The receivers coach got on him, though, telling him he had to get that ball and what he did wrong.

Next time out, Swope got another ball thrown well behind him—but this time he made a tremendous catch, just grabbing the ball with his fingertips.

I'll be watching on Tuesday to see if what I saw on Monday was first-day jitters and how he responds.

The last guy the Vikings should be looking at on the South squad is Duke's Conner Vernon.

Vernon and Swope had good first days in Mobile

Vernon didn't stand out in individual drills—he wasn't bad he just didn't look nearly as good as Swope.

During 7-on-7 drills, though, Vernon was incredible.

Vernon was fast, made tremendous ankle-breaking cuts, fought for the ball and generally made life miserable for the defensive backs.

As the drills went on, he became a favorite target for the South quarterbacks and displayed great hands, an ability to run after the catch (which, given it was a non-tackling day only goes so far) and a determination to get the ball.

Of the three players we've talked about here, Vernon was the guy who surprised me the most and from whom I am really looking forward to seeing more as the week progresses.

Is there anyone in Mobile you want to see either on the North or South squads?
    Other to keep an eye on are:
    Kawann Short-DT
    Sylvester Williams-DT
    Larry Warford-G
    John Jenkins-DT
    Robert Lester-S
    Bacarri Rambo-S
    Last edited by Daniel0227; 01-22-2013 at 12:05 PM.
    Flash!...... Aaha!!

vCash
    Almost here fellas! Get out the beer, chips and cheese blob! This year has some really good talent. I'm surprised how many projected 1st rounders are going to be playing. We have got to load up on more picks and get rid of alot of guys and target more guys through the draft. Gonna be a better draft this year than last I bet.
    Flash!...... Aaha!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel0227 View Post
    Almost here fellas! Get out the beer, chips and cheese blob! This year has some really good talent. I'm surprised how many projected 1st rounders are going to be playing. We have got to load up on more picks and get rid of alot of guys and target more guys through the draft. Gonna be a better draft this year than last I bet.
    I have to disagree with you a little there, if anything what we do next year is going to be about consistency. There is deadwood that needs to be cleared off, but there are a lot of guys who we have to bring back if we think that we can improve on last year's record. No doubt though there are young guys who will be playing in this game who can and hopefully will help us.

Vikings Roster thread
    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...d.php?t=718220

WE TRUST V4LB!!! HE IS THE GREATEST GUY IN OUR FOURM.
    WITHOUT HIM OUR FOURM WOULDNT BE EXCITING.
    HE GETS ALL THE WOMEN!!!!
    HE IS NEVER WRONG!!!
    WE TRIED TO VOTE FOR HIM FOR PRESIDENT BUT HE IS SO GREAT THAT HE WOULDNT RUN FOR OFFICE

vCash
    Conner Vernon, WR, Duke
    Conner Vernon says his best route is the dig, and he's right. The dig is the opposite of an out route and breaks at a 90-degree angle to the inside. Vernon gets upfield with a great burst and seems comfortable fighting off the press before breaking inside on the dagger.

When he does, he goes into his cut with a deliberate initial upfield move that gets the cornerback's hips turned incorrectly to the outside before breaking in. He has a suddenness in his change of direction that most scouts believe is unteachable.

Vernon played outside at Duke, but scouts generally believe he projects best as a slot WR in the NFL. Vernon has an advanced understanding of concepts that will impress NFL teams.
    Well there goes that idea if your one of those people that are opposed to bringing in slot receiver type. IMO we can use all the help we can get, if they're a good receiver no matter where they fit in they gotta bring em in! I like guys with size but I also like good football players. A good receiver is not determined by size or even speed.

Marquise Goodwin, WR, Texas
    The Raiders' unrivaled love and desire for elite speed on offense did not die with the late, great Al Davis.

The Raiders' staff, which is coaching the North squad in the Senior Bowl, was clearly looking for ways to get Marquise Goodwin free in space.

Goodwin is the fastest player in Mobile this week, and he opened a lot of eyes. Like many Texas players in recent history, Goodwin was horribly misused in college.

Goodwin is an Olympian with world-class speed. The minute he sets foot on an NFL field, he will enter the conversation as the league's fastest straight-line runner.

He answered all the questions this week about the ancillary parts of his game as well. He was sharp in his route-running, was better than expected coming off press coverage and exhibited a suddenness and lateral agility that led many scouts to believe he may be the ultimate "slot machine" at the next level.
    I know Harvin and Wright... we don't need another slot receiver... but for a guy that's projected to go in the 5-6 range why not? I keep hearing how he was underutilized and misused at Texas but I'm sure we can find a place for him to shine. Truth is we won't likely take him because of Harvin. Hell we won't likely have a chance at him now anyways. Team-to-team his stock will be all over the place. To teams like us we won't value him as highly as other might. I can see some team looking for that slot weapon taking him as high as round 2 saying, "that kind of athleticism can't be coached." If he becomes anything close to Randall Cobb or Percy Harvin type of player in the pros he would be worth it too.

Larry Warford, OG, Kentucky

Add another offensive guard into first-round consideration for the 2013 draft.

Kentucky's Larry Warford was a pleasant surprise to many scouts, one saying that he is a better prospect than Alabama's Barrett Jones and basically neck-and-neck with Chance Warmack, Jones' more heralded teammate, as the first interior offensive lineman to be taken off the board.

Warford dominated practices in the run game and was able to handle pass-rushers like Brigham Young's Ezekiel Ansah with ease during two-on-one pass-off and chip drills.

Warford would be an amazing "get" for any NFL team looking to establish a power, man-blocking scheme. If you are in the business of getting "a body on a body" in the run game, Warford is the body you want.

He is one of the main reasons that no defensive lineman on the South roster outside of John Jenkins was able to make too many blips on the radar throughout the week.
    Larry Warford, G, Kentucky
    Height: 6-3. Weight: 340.
    Projected Round (2013): 2-3.

1/5/12: Kentucky was terrible in 2012, but Warford was very good. He opened up holes in the ground game and performed well in pass protection. Warford is a better athlete and quicker than one would think. He had an impressive senior season.

Warford battled well against Florida and defensive tackle Sharrif Floyd. Warford played even better against Missouri defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson, shutting down the latter's pass rush. The plays that the Missouri standout had success on only came when he went against other offensive linemen. Warford is an underrated prospect who could force people to notice his skills in the Senior Bowl.

8/24/12: Larry Warford was named a Second-Team All-SEC performer in 2011 for the second straight season. He did a very good job of opening up holes for running back Derrick Locke in 2010.

Warford is also a good pass-blocker. He is strong at the point of attack and can push defensive linemen around. The senior has underrated speed and quickness for his size. Warford, Warmack and Bailey are all very comparable prospects who should turn into solid starters at guard in the NFL.
    I know how everyone wants guard help so I'm sure you'll all eat up another OG prospect. So... question I have is if Warmack is taken would you consider Warford 23rd overall? With an dominant Senior Bowl will he even be around in the 2nd round? Where does he go and would you want him?
    Last edited by HSmith22; 01-26-2013 at 12:32 PM.

vCash
    I like what I'm seeing from Manuel, however there is no way we get him in the 4th round. I think its probably going to be more likely that he's drafted in the 2nd or 3rd round. I wouldn't expect anyone to plug him in as a starter for 2013, however I bet he'll be picked by a team that thinks they can fast track him into the #1 job like Kaepernick.

Vikings Roster thread
    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...d.php?t=718220

WE TRUST V4LB!!! HE IS THE GREATEST GUY IN OUR FOURM.
    WITHOUT HIM OUR FOURM WOULDNT BE EXCITING.
    HE GETS ALL THE WOMEN!!!!
    HE IS NEVER WRONG!!!
    WE TRIED TO VOTE FOR HIM FOR PRESIDENT BUT HE IS SO GREAT THAT HE WOULDNT RUN FOR OFFICE

vCash
    Aside from Florida State quarterback EJ Manuel doing what I expected him to do they are saying the MVP of the game was really Ezekiel "Ziggy" Ansah, the BYU sensation and former track star from Ghana who exploded off the snap over and over again. I've heard them make the comparison for Ansah to JPP of the Giants. I don't think he's that athletic but he's pretty good. Basically the defensive players ruled the game yesterday but it's more about this whole week than just the game. The game is only the cherry on top. If that guard Warford dominated practices all week long and was able to handle pass-rushers like Brigham Young's Ezekiel Ansah with ease during two-on-one pass-off and chip drills then maybe he is pretty good after all.

I think Warford is someone we should look at in the 1st maybe if he's considered to be a day one starter. His stock is rising to that of a low end 1st round pick but he does play a position that rarely has multiple players drafted in the first round. In such an atypical year for guards, ESPN.com's Mel Kiper says a "flat-out loaded class.", he may be the fourth best guard overall but can still be selected in the first round. This year, many consider the “big three” guards to be Alabama seniors Chance Warmack and Barrett Jones and UNC’s Jonathan Cooper, but don't forget about Warford.

While Alabama’s Chance Warmack have been ranked as high as third on overall big boards around the web and most of you would agree taking him if he falls to 23 would be a great pick so why not consider Warford? We can’t forget about North Carolina’s stud guard Johnathan Cooper either, who is also slated to be a first round pick, but I think Warford fits our scheme better and what we're trying to do. At this point, it looks as though we could have three-four first round picks at the guard position in the 2013 NFL Draft but if Warford makes it out of the 1st round and he falls to us in the second he definitely would be in major consideration. Maybe even a trade up to go get him?

The consensus on Warford this point seems to be that he is a likely second-round pick with an outside chance at sneaking into the first round. Same type of draft stock that Harrison Smith had last year. Why not try and pull a similar deal off to move up and get him if we don't think he'll fall to 52? It'll all depend on what happens at 23, if we take our receiver there or not, but I would love to see Warford lining up next season between Sullivan and Loadholt paving the way for Peterson to break the record.

ESPN’s Mel Kiper calls Warford one of the most underrated prospects for the 2013 NFL Draft. "He has been very underrated because he plays at Kentucky. He’s big, athletic and he can move and pull. He’s another 330-pounder that plays with strength and leverage. To me, he’s a second- or third-round possibility."

One of the best, most knowledgeable, college football analysts is Mike Mayock. Mayock has gushed over Warford’s performance during the past week at the Senior Bowl and named him as one of the prospects that “made money”. “Making money” is just another fancy term for improving draft stock. Warford will be the first offensive lineman from Kentucky selected in the NFL Draft since 1993, and with a great combine, could be the first one to be picked in the first-round.

According to Russ Lande of the National Football Post, and one of my favorite Draft analysts out there, there is no doubt left that Warford will be a first round selection come time for April’s draft.

“No Doubt” Kentucky OG Larry Warford Will Be First Round Pick

Larry Warford, OG, Kentucky (6032, 333 and 5.25 E): Many have already conceded the top guard spot to Alabama’s Chance Warmack, but Warford did everything he could this week to close the gap and get into the discussion. Surprisingly quick out of stance, Warford sets up to block with excellent base/leverage fast and gets his “heavy hands” on the defensive tackle fast. Throughout the week Georgia defensive tackle made it look easy bull rushing all the other interior offensive linemen backwards, but Warford consistently stopped him in his tracks and kept him pinned on the LOS. After his display this week, there is no doubt that Warford will be a first round pick because he will be a day one starter.
    Coming into the 2012 season, Warford was actually being projected as a first-round talent, but as with many prospects on losing teams, his stock fell as UK suffered through a disastrous 2-10 campaign marred by a constant quarterback-shuffle, making it hard to see the impact Warford had along the offensive line.

Warford attributed Kentucky’s struggles this year to the roster being so young, coupled with the fact they faced a brutal schedule:

"That was a bad deal. We had a real young team and the toughest schedule in America. I hoped more for the team, but given the circumstances, it would have been really tough to pull off a better season. It just didn’t happen. I think we were rated the No. 4 youngest team in the nation and we had the No. 1 toughest schedule in the nation. Given those two facts, for anybody it would have been tough."

Despite Kentucky's sorry season, Warford made The Associated Press All-American third team. But Warford said he came to the Senior Bowl looking to get better and to show he has addressed any shortcomings that NFL evaluators may have detected in his play.

"I'm trying to improve on what I've been criticized about," Warford said. "Everybody has to improve. NFL guys still have to improve. There's always something to work on. I've been criticized for not playing with my hips bent, balance issues. The time in whole training I've been trying to work on that and, hopefully, I can show the NFL scouts I've improved in that area."

Warford said he's been working out since the season ended under the direction of LeCharles Bentley, the former All-Pro center of the New Orleans Saints. "He's helped me out a whole bunch, especially with my technique," Warford said.

After not allowing a sack the entire season, and accounted for a team-high 45 knockdown blocks, like the one’s you’ll see in his highlights at UK I would say he's as solid a interior lineman prospect as there is in this class.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=cYIGR4EWIKA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=VTVRFZiNhhU

Now that he’s in the Senior Bowl, scouts are getting a front-row view of his immense talent, and he’s likely to hear his name called within the first two rounds of April’s draft.
    Larry Warford, G, Kentucky
    Height: 6-3. Weight: 340.
    Projected Round (2013): 2-3.

A three-time All-SEC selection, Warford became the first Kentucky lineman to earn All-America honors in more than 20 years when he was named third team by the Associated Press this season. He didn't allow any sacks this season earning him first-team All-SEC honors and graded out at 90.3 percent. He was a second-team All-SEC selection the last two years, both of which he led UK in knockdown blocks. He graded 87.5 percent on his blocking assignments last season. Warford started the final 37 games of his collegiate career.

Warford is an underrated prospect who forced people to notice his skills at the Senior Bowl week this year. Warford was a pleasant surprise to many scouts, one saying that he is a better prospect than Alabama's Barrett Jones and basically neck-and-neck with Chance Warmack, Jones' more heralded teammate, as the first interior offensive lineman to be taken off the board. From his right guard spot he dominated practices in the run game and was able to handle pass-rushers like Brigham Young's Ezekiel Ansah with ease during two-on-one pass-off and chip drills. He is one of the main reasons that no defensive lineman on the South roster outside of John Jenkins was able to make too many blips on the radar throughout the week.

Warford is a better athlete and quicker than one would think. The senior has underrated speed and quickness for his size. He's a big, strong lineman with a wide body and the type of prospect who will be sought out by a power running offense. Strong at the point of attack and can push defensive linemen around. Warford would be an amazing "get" for any NFL team looking to establish a power, man-blocking scheme. If you are in the business of getting "a body on a body" in the run game, Warford is the body you want with his nasty demeanor in the run game. He did a very good job of opening up holes for running back Derrick Locke in 2010 and I'm sure Peterson would love to run behind him in 2013.

Warford, Warmack and Alvin Bailey (all from the SEC) are all very comparable prospects who should turn into solid starters at guard in the NFL. Warford played RG in college and will be a career RG in the NFL most likely. He would be an immediate upgrade over Brandon Fusco and Geoff Schwartz locking down the position as a day one starter.
    Warmack vs Warford

The "war", no pun intended, between these two SEC heavyweights to be the first drafted interior lineman just got a lot closer after Senior Bowl week. The main difference between the two is athleticism. Warmack is a much better pull blocker and gets to the second level much faster than Warford. Warmack is better in pass protection, but in run blocking it's much closer. Slight edge to Warmack in run blocking, but not a huge difference. We don't really need to have a superb athlete at RG, just a guy to create big holes for our running game and be capable of holding up in pass protection for Ponder longer than who we have now can do. Warford may not have the quickness to recover as Warmack but he has a lot of power, and what he doesn't have in speed, quickness, nor fluidity he more than makes up for in technique. I see Warmack as a LG or RG whilst I could only see Warford as a career RG.Right now Warford is viewed as a early 2nd rounder, but I believe he'll rise to a mid-late 1st. Warford would certainly be the better value if he's available in the 2nd but that's not likely to happen anymore. Warmack is a Top 15 talent likely to be picked Top 20 so he's out of consideration basically.
    Last edited by HSmith22; 01-27-2013 at 10:39 AM.