Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: What should the Lakers do now?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sit tight, they are too talented not to win.

3 4.00%
  • Fire 'Antoni.

29 38.67%
  • Trade Pau

12 16.00%
  • Trade Howard.

23 30.67%
  • Other

8 10.67%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    vCash

What should the Lakers do now?

The Lakers now officially sit 7 games below .500 and their next three games are against the Grizzlies, the Jazz and the Thunder (the last two at home). I think it is fair to assume that the games against Memphis and OKC are going to be loses, and hopeful thinking would suggest that perhaps the Lakers can beat the Jazz. After that stretch they will likely be 8 games under .500.

So what is the answer? Mike Brown was fired for being 3 games under .500, but 'Antoni's record is 7 games under .500 (though 'Antoni has a higher winning percentage than did Brown).

We all know that Brown was fired prematurely. But hiring 'Antoni hasn't helped much. Many were suggesting that when Nash got back, 'Antoni's system would start working, but it hasn't.

Kobe Bryant is currently 4th in the league in minutes per game, and third in the league in total minutes played. He's playing well, but dumping this many minutes on any player is a bad idea, much less one that is deep into his 30's. Gasol has been playing hurt, Hill is out for he season, Dwight is not as involved in the offence as he should be, or as much as he wants to be and the team sucks on defense.

so what is to be done.

One option: sit tight. This teams is talented and the ship will right its course.
    Option two? Fire 'Antoni. Even if it means Bickerstaff serves as the head coach until the end of the season, 'Antoni is clearly not getting the job done.

Option three: Trade Pau. If LAL is going to stick with 'Antoni, they need to move Pau. 'Antoni has alienated Pau from his first game, and clearly does not know how to use him (though not being able to maximize a player as talented as Pau suggests to me the flaw of the coaching).

Option four: Trade Howard. Magic Johnson has recently suggested that Mark Cuban make a move for Howard, but frankly, what does Dallas have that would be appealing to LAL? Brand+Kaman+Marion? I dunno.... that might give LAL the depth they are sorely lacking right now, but Dallas wouldn't be any better and neither would LAL in the long run. A trade with BK seems like the best option. Lopez+Humpries (not sure if the salaries work). Howard wants to be in BK, the BK players are now eligible to be traded, and getting Lopez and Humphries back would give you a nice combo in the front court. Humphries can rebounds, Lopez can score.

I'm thinking something needs to be done now. If the Lakers wait much longer, they will not be able to come back. The trade deadline is Feb. 21st. From now until then LAL is playing:

Memphis-R (L)
    Utah-H (L)
    OKC-H (L)
    NO-H (W)
    PHO-R (W)
    MIN- R (W)
    DET-R (W)
    BK-R (L)
    BOS-R (L)
    CHA-R (W)
    MIA-R (L)
    PHO-H (W)
    LAC-R/H (L)
    BOS- H (L)

I put "R" next to road games and "H" next to home games and in brackets what is fair to expect in terms of wins and loses. Essentially, their schedule they have, they should be able to play about .500 ball during that period (I think that is generous considering they just lost to Toronto). I actually have them finishing 6-8 for that period, which would put them 9 games below .500 The game against Boston is on the 20th, the last game before the trade deadline. If the Lakers wait that long, they will be between 6-9 games under .500, meaning, just to get to .500 they would have to go on a 6-9 game winning streak at that point.

Something needs to be done now before the Lakers' record gets any worse than it already is.

What do you think should be done?

I think both trading Howard and firing 'Antoni would be a good idea at this point. Howard is likely going to bolt in free agency considering how this season is going, and 'Antoni is not getting the job done. It's best to move forward on both instances. Get what you can for Howard rather than risking losing him for nothing in free agency, and bring in a coach who knows how to get this team together defensively and offensively.
    Last edited by JasonJohnHorn; 01-22-2013 at 11:22 AM.
    What the eye doesn't see and the mind doesn't know, doesn't exist.
    Follow me on Twitter and I'll follow back: @JasonJHorn

vCash
    Dude, LAKERS FORUM.

Big THX to MJ's Bulls and pheagles10 on the sig help!
    Dear T-Mac,
    I miss you.
    Love,
    The Rim

Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sep11ie View Post
    Dude, LAKERS FORUM.
    I want to know what fans of the game think about this, not what the Lakers homers think.
    What the eye doesn't see and the mind doesn't know, doesn't exist.
    Follow me on Twitter and I'll follow back: @JasonJHorn

vCash
    I don't watch enough Lakers games to really say. However from the highlights etc, they need to play D. I would probably trade Gasol, and Metta if it was possible. Acquire some legit knock down shooters. I think with some knock down shooters it opens up the pick and roll more. Again I could be way of because I don't see alot of there games.

AgrÃ*nio, Aitolia Kai Akarnania, Greece, Greece
    vCash
    If they plan to keep D'Antoni, then they have to move Gasol imo. Try to get some pieces that fit his system.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonJohnHorn View Post
    I want to know what fans of the game think about this, not what the Lakers homers think.
    We don't care about them and are glad they look like ****.

Dear T-Mac,
    I miss you.
    Love,
    The Rim

vCash
    This. And I voted to fire D'Antoni.

vCash
    Fire Mike
    Trade Kobe for picks
    Trade Dwight for picks
    Overhaul the team and rebuild

Quote Originally Posted by PraiseJesus View Post
    My PREDICITON OF LEBRON GOING TO THE KNICKS WAS SPOT ON!!!!

JUST AS ALL MINE ARE.

I'M NEVER WRONG

FREE MY SOURCE PraiseJesus

vCash
    This. No one cares(except Lakers fans.) Espn seems to think we all care but we don't lol.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Giants #1 Fan View Post
    Fire Mike
    Trade Kobe for picks
    Trade Dwight for picks
    Overhaul the team and rebuild
    Lol, I can't imagine if they really did do this...

Might as well trade Paul too...

vCash
    C'mon JJH, you have been here long enough to know how PSD works.

Dear T-Mac,
    I miss you.
    Love,
    The Rim

vCash
    Every time I go on PSD I see a new variation of this thread...

#wankfortiggins

vCash
    Usually started by the same OP.

Dear T-Mac,
    I miss you.
    Love,
    The Rim

vCash
    stephen a just said a few things.

-Jim buss does not like PJ because PJ dates his sister lmao!
    -jerry bud health is pretty bad.
    -lakers are ****ed.

vCash
    Although this is an issue that has been beaten to a pulp...

A new coach isn't going to magically turn things around quick enough.

A new coach isn't going to make Kobe and Pau magically care about defense. A new coach isn't gonna make Dwight's back 100%. A new coach isn't suddenly going to stop Dwight's turnover and FT problems. A new coach isn't going to get Nash to prevent someone - anyone - from running right by him. A new coach isn't going to get Jordan Hill back on the court...a new coach isn't making that bench magically decent. A new coach isn't going to get Kobe's FG% back up near 50%...nor is he going to get away with not running him to the point of exhaustion (Kobe won't ever want to sit).

Unless it's Phil or maybe SVG...I think there are problems that aren't going to be completely corrected by coaching.

Maybe a new coach gets some sort of common purpose to develop on this team. I don't think selfishness and egos really are the problem, I just think there's no tangible plan, purpose or motivation. Everyone is doing their own thing.

If they make a trade, it should be Pau. Dwight MAY walk after this season, but it's worth the risk not to give up on him. He can be the cornerstone of this franchise for a long time.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast