Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: kaepernick

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by N. Cog Neato View Post
    Well, I stated what a HoF QB stated.....one who was the most accurate %-wise, plus highest QB rating in NFL history....so his opinion >>>>>>>>than any of us on PSD.

Look, a QB can be 18-20 for 95 yds by employing bubble screens, WR screens, two yard comebacks, etc. But you can't make a 50% accurate QB into a 65-70% QB.......now, you can teach them to throw to the back shoulder, and to throw it to a certain place, to an extent, but you can't teach them to throw a 30 yard pass that is to fit into a 5 inch window, like the elite QB's can. Some things, such as God-given abilities, just can't be taught.
    you also can't teach speed and the ability to get out of the pocket and throw on the run. Pryors last year in college I believe he had a 65% completion rate. I could be wrong, just what I found on one site.
    "JUST WIN BABY"
    COMMITMENT TO EXCELLENCE

vCash
    65% sounds good, but it also might be misleading.....now, how many passes were thrown downfield, 15-20+ yrds downfield? I am not saying it was this way, but he sure doesn't look that accurate at this juncture of his NFL career.....I have bashed him from the get go, but I kinda like the kid now....his attitude, work etchic, etc. He may be our QB down the road.....who knows?.....one thing's for sure, he's trying HARD to get there.....and I commend him, and respect him for it.....if only Jamarcus had his heart, we wouldn't be in this place.....sad.....really.....sad...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by themadstork View Post
    Undeniably correct. And frankly, a QB couldn't have looked worse than Alex Smith did in his first year.

Maybe it was the BS he pulled in college, and maybe its just the fact that he's another in a long line of Al draft picks based soley on measurables....but something about Pryor bothers me. And without question, his lack of accuracy and his decision making have something to do with it. I'd be shocked if he managed to become even an average NFL QB. We can, and need to, do far better.

-Stork
    Don't jump the gun too quick on this kid, Stork. If Olsen is as good with QB's as advertised, maybe he can help him to improve his mechanics. One thing's for certain, he's trying to get there.....and I commend him for it. I think he has the makings of something special.....saying this after bashing him the day Uncle Al took him in the supplemental draft.

vCash
    Well, there are coaches out there that "teach" away a QB's accuracy- ie Art Shell+ Tom Walsh and what they did to Andrew Walter.

Pryor won't become more accurate if he only gets to throw the ball 5 times in live practices.
    RAIDERS. ARE. BACK.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by themadstork View Post
    I disagree heartily with that. Got an example?

-Stork
    Quote Originally Posted by DatFatCat View Post
    The only one I could come up with is Alex Smith

I also think you can't judge a QB based on 1 game and 1 preseason game either
    Thank you. I was going to say Alex Smith as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RAIDERLIFE View Post
    Never heard of that bro, Ive played sports my entire life. You can teach technic, which may lead to being more accurate..but not accuracy. Its really hard to change thing about guys at this age.. Old habbits are hard to break
    Of course, other than experience and the timing and chemistry that comes with it between the QB and his receivers, the only thing you can do to help accuracy is to correct what's keeping a QB from being accurate. Sometimes it's the throwing motion, sometime it's a QB's footwork that disrupts his timing. A good QB's coach will notice these things and address them. It is up to the player to adapt to it. A lot of times player's have big ego's and don't want to change what has "worked" for them in the past. Pryor seems eager to learn, lead and play for the Raiders, so I don't think he would resist coaching.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by N. Cog Neato View Post
    Well, I stated what a HoF QB stated.....one who was the most accurate %-wise, plus highest QB rating in NFL history....so his opinion >>>>>>>>than any of us on PSD.

Look, a QB can be 18-20 for 95 yds by employing bubble screens, WR screens, two yard comebacks, etc. But you can't make a 50% accurate QB into a 65-70% QB.......now, you can teach them to throw to the back shoulder, and to throw it to a certain place, to an extent, but you can't teach them to throw a 30 yard pass that is to fit into a 5 inch window, like the elite QB's can. Some things, such as God-given abilities, just can't be taught.
    The problem here is just that. He's a HoF QB who was physically gifted enough to not have the problem that most other QB's do. That's why great players aren't always the best coaches. They had a physical gift that they don't seem to understand that not everyone has. I agree that a change that drastic isn't reasonably possible, but I believe you can make a 50% comp. QB into a ~%60 comp. QB. Fix his delivery, his footwork and most importantly, build an offense around his strengths.

No one here expects Pryor to be Steve Young, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers. What we are saying is with experience and the chemistry between him and his starting receivers that come with it, some changes to his delivery, and an offense built around his strengths, he can be a more accurate QB and a good QB overall.

Of course, this is just my opinion. You all don't have to agree with it. That's why forums like this are interesting.

vCash
    Pryor does't quite have the arm and acuracy of Kaepernick....But he does have a lot of the same qualities. To me he is more like Cam Newton. When Newton came in the league he had a lot of those same questions about his game also. With a good qb coach and a new OC, Pryor just may be up next as the starter in Oakland. The one thing the OC's of Griffin III, Wilson, Newton and even Vick back in the day was that the offense was built around them, That is what Pryor will need to be successful.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by raiderposting View Post
    Kaep can still be successful in the pocket so can rg3,Wilson, and cam. Pryor won't be successful in he pocket. Do you see Pryor playing until his late 30s? #zacdysert2013. Teams will stop the option soon. All those other QBs will adjust and still be successful with their arms with the occasional run, Pryor will never be a pocket passer.
    TEAMS WONT STOP THE OPTION BECAUSE THR NFL WON'T ALLOW IT".
    The game is completely off balance and royally favors the offense. Defenses will adjust, and the option will make adjstments, but the league won't adjust from it's favoritism.
    "We don't take what the defense gives us; we take whatever the hell we want." - Al Davis

ONE NATION, DOMINATION, RAIDER NATION!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiderFanBL9 View Post
    Kapernick is so overrated.
    actually I'd say that if anything he's underrated right now. This guy is easily on his way to becoming the #1 QB in the league in maybe a years time. The guy is the real deal. This guy is gonna win a few Superbowl's before it all over.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dogdaddy View Post
    Hate when you have to spell it out for people...... The only comparison made was styles not who is better than the other. And yes Kaep and Rg3 are running qb's. They read option qb's. Thats a running qb.
    You are so not in tuned with football it's ridiculous. Running qb implies they can't not beat you with there arm, both can. Second rg3 had a 65% completion percentage for the year that would make him top 5 in the league. And lastly Pryor STYLE cant be compared to anything but a scrub at this point. When he did play he looked awful.

vCash
    The read option is not the easy to defend. For those who do not understand the schemes let me help you. Because you do not block the end on a read option it creates and extra blocker for the run game up the middle. If you crash on the run the qb keeps it and runs around you. If you take the qb the rb takes it up the middle for 5 yds plus. Now at that point the defense brings a safety down to take the qb and the end crashes on the rb every time, problem with that is it creates one on one match ups on the outside for the play action read pass. Furthermore since the lbs have to respect the read option (qb or rb) it keeps them in the box and creates passing lanes behind them for drag routes, slants or tight end option routes. This is a truely pick your poison offense. Defenses will learn to slow it down better but there will always be an opening in this type of package. I think it would have to do player types more than schemes to stop this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy951 View Post
    Well it seems to me that Steve Young is just another human being with an opinion. But I would like to hear his reasoning.

Have you ever played football? High School, maybe? If you were ever near the QB's, you'd know that a good coach CAN teach a QB how to throw the ball more accurately.
    I think the point was that once a player reaches the NFL, he is pretty much what he is. Tim Tebow will never be regarded as an accurate passer no matter how hard he works at it or tweaks his release. 20+ years of muscle memory is hard to undo.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LA_raiders_KERS View Post
    i hope kaepernicks success changes the way some of you look at pryors future.. ALL THREE PLAYS scored by the niners, against the falcons, where on option plays.. thats what you get when you play against mobile QBs.. its a gameplan nightmare for opposing teams. now imagine the raiders with a better oline + mcfadden + reece + pryor.
    ive been saying that since before his initial drafting in the supplementals and when we got him i was like this is our cam newton, mike vick mobile QB of the future for us and in our last game against san diego (under palmers wing this couple of years) his championess showed as he brought us inches to victory. hes what i thought he was, and we are lucky to have a future mobile QB type, nfl ready before other teams catch wind of this trend !

vCash
    Pryor has a chance to prove me wrong. I hope he wins that job. like i said in the other thread im sure he can match the 4 wins. but hopefully with fixing the OL/DL he can win us more. I wish we can still bring in dysert if he falls, and have a 3 man competition.

Yall let me slip?!?!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast