Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

The Liberals' War on Science

Believe it or not—and I suspect most readers will not—there's a liberal war on science. Say what?

We are well aware of the Republican war on science from the eponymous 2006 book (Basic Books) by Chris Mooney, and I have castigated conservatives myself in my 2006 book Why Darwin Matters (Henry Holt) for their erroneous belief that the theory of evolution leads to a breakdown of morality. A 2012 Gallup poll found that “58 percent of Republicans believe that God created humans in their present form within the last 10,000 years,” compared with 41 percent of Democrats. A 2011 survey by the Public Religion Research Institute found that 81 percent of Democrats but only 49 percent of Republicans believe that Earth is getting warmer. Many conservatives seem to grant early-stage embryos a moral standing that is higher than that of adults suffering from debilitating diseases potentially curable through stem cells. And most recently, Missouri Republican senatorial candidate Todd Akin gaffed on the ability of women's bodies to avoid pregnancy in the event of a “legitimate rape.” It gets worse.

The left's war on science begins with the stats cited above: 41 percent of Democrats are young Earth creationists, and 19 percent doubt that Earth is getting warmer. These numbers do not exactly bolster the common belief that liberals are the people of the science book. In addition, consider “cognitive creationists”—whom I define as those who accept the theory of evolution for the human body but not the brain. As Harvard University psychologist Steven Pinker documents in his 2002 book The Blank Slate (Viking), belief in the mind as a tabula rasa shaped almost entirely by culture has been mostly the mantra of liberal intellectuals, who in the 1980s and 1990s led an all-out assault against evolutionary psychology via such Orwellian-named far-left groups as Science for the People, for proffering the now uncontroversial idea that human thought and behavior are at least partially the result of our evolutionary past.

There is more, and recent, antiscience fare from far-left progressives, documented in the 2012 book Science Left Behind (PublicAffairs) by science journalists Alex B. Berezow and Hank Campbell, who note that “if it is true that conservatives have declared a war on science, then progressives have declared Armageddon.” On energy issues, for example, the authors contend that progressive liberals tend to be antinuclear because of the waste-disposal problem, anti–fossil fuels because of global warming, antihydroelectric because dams disrupt river ecosystems, and anti–wind power because of avian fatalities. The underlying current is “everything natural is good” and “everything unnatural is bad.”

Whereas conservatives obsess over the purity and sanctity of sex, the left's sacred values seem fixated on the environment, leading to an almost religious fervor over the purity and sanctity of air, water and especially food. Try having a conversation with a liberal progressive about GMOs—genetically modified organisms—in which the words “Monsanto” and “profit” are not dropped like syllogistic bombs. Comedian Bill Maher, for example, on his HBO Real Time show on October 19, 2012, asked Stonyfield Farm CEO Gary Hirshberg if he would rate Monsanto as a 10 (“evil”) or an 11 (“f—ing evil”)? The fact is that we've been genetically modifying organisms for 10,000 years through breeding and selection. It's the only way to feed billions of people.

Surveys show that moderate liberals and conservatives embrace science roughly equally (varying across domains), which is why scientists like E. O. Wilson and organizations like the National Center for Science Education are reaching out to moderates in both parties to rein in the extremists on evolution and climate change. Pace Barry Goldwater, extremism in the defense of liberty may not be a vice, but it is in defense of science, where facts matter more than faith—whether it comes in a religious or secular form—and where moderation in the pursuit of truth is a virtue.
    http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...war-on-science
    Visit my Blog.

"Glad the GOP finally came out with an Obamacare alternative. Can't wait to see their alternative to the Iraq War." - @LOLGOP

vCash
    wait, what?

vCash
    Maybe that's because the American society and for some extend the Europeans are now not very pro science as a whole. Still supporting the group that is less ignorant, in absence of better alternatives seems to be sensible.

Some of the Articles points are also missing the mark. Monsanto isn't a problem because they do GMO, but because of what they do and they're business practices. Creating a Crop that creates a pesticide is just stupid beyond believe, and the problem with GMO is, what happens to the farmers that want to use different seeds?
    Our overview over the ecological systems is also a bit to limited, to make sure that stuff like those crops don't create catastrophes.
    There are alos studies showing that the yields stay about the same for organic cultivated crops, but they seem to handle extreme scenarios like droughts or to much humidity better.

It's always difficult if new Scientific findings contradict ones viewpoints and assumptions.

Baltimore now, but born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    vCash
    There's this whole field of way out there psychology called critical psychology that rejects pretty much everything that makes psychology even close to a science (you know experiments and statistics) and instead roughly sit back and complain how psychology is working for the man.

Most of the vaccine nutters are leftists.

There is a distinct problem in science... One the p value doesn't tell us all that much that is useful (probably only interesting to the few of you who do this work... it does not tell you the probability the null would be true given your results), and no one funds or publishes replication experiments or negative findings. There is the project going on the "Reproducibility Project" http://openscienceframework.org/project/EZcUj/wiki/home where researchers are trying to replicate the studies from 4 top tier psych journals from 2008. This is really important but overlooked aspect of science.

For more info
    http://chronicle.com/blogs/percolato...e-undone/29045

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

vCash
    I agree slightly with the different forms of energy. Nuclear has a lot of benefits but the waster problem is at the very least an issue. The hydroelectric thing is a big issue in some areas. I've rarely heard much about birds being killed by wind farms. Not saying some aren't complaining but are leftists really trying to get rid of wind farms because of this? That's extreme.

I watched the Bill Maher episode with the Stonyfield guy and they were talking about pesticides and organic farming the whole time. This is article is misleading bringing up GMO's and not pesticides.

vCash
    Further proof that in reality, on the big issues, both parties are the same. There is only the illusion of choice.

Enacting real reforms for climate change affects numerous, powerful corporations' bottom line. Therefore the majority of both parties will always protect the interests of their funders.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Schmooze View Post
    Further proof that in reality, on the big issues, both parties are the same. There is only the illusion of choice.

Enacting real reforms for climate change affects numerous, powerful corporations' bottom line. Therefore the majority of both parties will always protect the interests of their funders.
    Yup.

As a nation, we're still incredibly intolerant towards non-believers. 41 percent of Democrats being young Earth creationists doesn't surprise me. Atheists remain the most unelectable political group in the US. I'm not equating atheism with scientific understanding, but I do think religion does sometimes cloud scientific motivations.

I think a lot of talk is smoke and mirrors, because in the end it always does come down to funders...whether we're talking republicans or democrats. We're not at a point where there's enough influence from the people that need to have influence on matters like nuclear energy, global warming, clean energy, and so on.

Feel free to delete this if I crossed into the religious part of this discussion too much.
    [IMG]hi[/IMG]

vCash
    I ****ing hate that they equate "left" and "liberal" with "democrat. So not the same thing in this country.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ManRamForPrez24 View Post
    Yup.

As a nation, we're still incredibly intolerant towards non-believers. 41 percent of Democrats being young Earth creationists doesn't surprise me. Atheists remain the most unelectable political group in the US. I'm not equating atheism with scientific understanding, but I do think religion does sometimes cloud scientific motivations.

I think a lot of talk is smoke and mirrors, because in the end it always does come down to funders...whether we're talking republicans or democrats. We're not at a point where there's enough influence from the people that need to have influence on matters like nuclear energy, global warming, clean energy, and so on.

Feel free to delete this if I crossed into the religious part of this discussion too much.
    uh as a non-believer athiest do it to themselves. How about go to the CNN faith blog and read the post, then go to msnbc and read any article on religion. Some of the most ruthless remarks are from Athiest, and we wonder why we're not liked. It is embarrassing that uneducated people claim to be one because they think it is cool. I see more hateful post now days from non-believers than those who do believe. Atheist need to remember this country allows us to believe what we want not we all have to believe in nothing.

It goes even deeper but this is not the place.

vCash
    I'm not a liberal or Democrat. I believe in global warming...but I'm not down with spending billions of dollars on it. You can't stop global warming... it's a natural process that this planet has been going through since day one...but humans have been helping speed up the process into unnatural progression. We can help get things back to normal by reducing our emissions and other polluting factors...but again with the population of the planet ever rising I believe there's no hope in stopping global warming.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justinnum1
    Wade will be a lot better next season now that he got knee surgery. Hate on. - 7/31/2012

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Longhornfan1234 View Post
    I'm not a liberal or Democrat. I believe in global warming...but I'm not down with spending billions of dollars on it. You can't stop global warming... it's a natural process that this planet has been going through since day one...but humans have been helping speed up the process into unnatural progression. We can help get things back to normal by reducing our emissions and other polluting factors...but again with the population of the planet ever rising I believe there's no hope in stopping global warming.
    agreed and it is sad

I am not into conspiracies but the fact the we some how cannot come up with an effective fuel source outside of oil and gasoline has to be because of the oil industry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by raiderfaninTX View Post
    uh as a non-believer athiest do it to themselves. How about go to the CNN faith blog and read the post, then go to msnbc and read any article on religion. Some of the most ruthless remarks are from Athiest, and we wonder why we're not liked. It is embarrassing that uneducated people claim to be one because they think it is cool. I see more hateful post now days from non-believers than those who do believe. Atheist need to remember this country allows us to believe what we want not we all have to believe in nothing.

It goes even deeper but this is not the place.
    This is just naive and simply wrong.

Atheists have always been the single most unelectable group in this country. More than women, more than blacks, more than Muslims after 9/11. Atheists are demeaned and attacked all over the country still. Turn on Fox News anytime between early November and the beginning of Jan., and you'll see all about the "atheist war on Christmas!"

People say ****** things on the internet. That is not, remotely, something the atheists have the market cornered on. Go to any YouTube video that is remotely controversial (and far too many that aren't), and you'll see it from all sides.

This is from 2007:

Code:
     Yes, would
    vote for

No, would not
    vote for

%

%

Catholic

Black

Jewish

A woman

Hispanic

Mormon

Married for the third time

72 years of age

A homosexual

An atheist

Only one group is over 50% of people that say they wouldn't vote for them. 10% more would vote for a homosexual President than an atheist. If you think that's because of comments on a CNN Faith Blog (the same site, by the way, where a post was flagged as inappropriate because a woman was talking about raising her kids as atheists), then you have a lot to learn.
    Visit my Blog.

"Glad the GOP finally came out with an Obamacare alternative. Can't wait to see their alternative to the Iraq War." - @LOLGOP

vCash

ewing

Quote Originally Posted by natepro View Post

Atheists have always been the single most unelectable group in this country. More than women, more than blacks, more than Muslims after 9/11. Atheists are demeaned and attacked all over the country still. Turn on Fox News anytime between early November and the beginning of Jan., and you'll see all about the "atheist war on Christmas!"

People say ****** things on the internet. That is not, remotely, something the atheists have the market cornered on. Go to any YouTube video that is remotely controversial (and far too many that aren't), and you'll see it from all sides.

This is from 2007:

Code:
     Yes, would
    vote for

No, would not
    vote for

%

%

Catholic

Black

Jewish

A woman

Hispanic

Mormon

72 years of age

A homosexual

An atheist

Only one group is over 50% of people that say they wouldn't vote for them. 10% more would vote for a homosexual President than an atheist. If you think that's because of comments on a CNN Faith Blog (the same site, by the way, where a post was flagged as inappropriate because a woman was talking about raising her kids as atheists), then you have a lot to learn.

This guy is really trying to put himself on "the cross"

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by natepro View Post

This is from 2007:

Code:
     Yes, would
    vote for

No, would not
    vote for

%

%

Catholic

Black

Jewish

A woman

Hispanic

Mormon

72 years of age

A homosexual

An atheist

Again I believe we do it to our selves, how electable do you expect to be as a group when a group that represents atheist sue the city of New York because of the 9/11 cross. Or sue states because a cross is on a mountain top. I personally believe and the majority of the people in this country do as well, that it is ridiculous. You know you are in the wrong when on these articles the only people supporting you are internet trolls.

Why do Muslims or Jews not sue if it is so offensive, the loudest faction of atheist are those who want a war on religion more specifically Christianity, which IMO there are areas that should be fought but fighting schools prayer at games, graduations, and any time is just sad. It does not bother me to just sit there and let people pray, who cares they do not sit there and try to cast some spell on me.

Lastly we have taken our belief in nothing and used our countries laws to push that belief on people. Some of us have become the very thing that we fight against. I believe you have the right to believe in what you want and as long as you are not hurting anyone then it is fine.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by raiderfaninTX View Post
    Again I believe we do it to our selves, how electable do you expect to be as a group when a group that represents atheist sue the city of New York because of the 9/11 cross. Or sue states because a cross is on a mountain top. I personally believe and the majority of the people in this country do as well, that it is ridiculous. You know you are in the wrong when on these articles the only people supporting you are internet trolls.

Why do Muslims or Jews not sue if it is so offensive, the loudest faction of atheist are those who want a war on religion more specifically Christianity, which IMO there are areas that should be fought but fighting schools prayer at games, graduations, and any time is just sad. It does not bother me to just sit there and let people pray, who cares they do not sit there and try to cast some spell on me.

Lastly we have taken our belief in nothing and used our countries laws to push that belief on people. Some of us have become the very thing that we fight against. I believe you have the right to believe in what you want and as long as you are not hurting anyone then it is fine.
    Well said. As a Christian, I run into the same issues with people that share the same beliefs. It's frustrating to see people try so hard to be divisive and intolerant. Christians ignore so much of the Bible's message about loving everyone and refraining from passing judgement on others. So many would rather wage political wars and judge everyone who isn't exactly like them.

I feel the same as you do about the outspoken faction of the atheist population. For me, being atheist is simply being non-religious. A lot the more outspoken atheists that I encounter despise Christians for being intolerant, yet they themselves exhibit intolerant behavior in their hatred of all Christianity.

I guess that there will always be angry, outspoken groups within any larger group of people. You see it in politics, religion, sports, etc. It's just frustrating to feel like you have to constantly defend what you believe because the loud, angry faction of your group invites negative feelings towards the whole.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast