Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Tim Brown suggests “sabotage” by Bill Callahan in Super Bowl XXXVII

juicy **** from PFT:

Posted by Mike Florio on January 21, 2013, 9:33 PM EST

A decade ago, the Raiders’ fate in Super Bowl XXXVII presumably was sealed by the weekend disappearance of center Barret Robbins. Hall of Fame finalist Tim Brown believes that the blame for the 48-21 loss to the Buccaneers should go to their head coach.

“We get our game plan for victory on Monday, and the game plan says we’re gonna run the ball,” Brown said Saturday on SiriusXM NFL Radio, which provided us with the audio. “We averaged 340 [pounds] on the offensive line, they averaged 280 [on the defensive line]. We’re all happy with that, everybody is excited. [We] tell Charlie Garner, ‘Look, you’re not gonna get too many carries, but at the end of the day we’re gonna get a victory. Tyrone Wheatley, Zack Crockett, let’s get ready to blow this thing up.’”

According to Brown, coach Bill Callahan then “blew this thing up” on the Friday before the Super Bowl, changing the game plan from a run-heavy attack to an intent to “throw the ball 60 times.”

“We all called it sabotage . . . because Callahan and [Tampa Bay coach Jon] Gruden were good friends,” Brown said. “And Callahan had a big problem with the Raiders, you know, hated the Raiders. You know, only came because Gruden made him come. Literally walked off the field on us a couple of times during the season when he first got there, the first couple years. So really he had become someone who was part of the staff but we just didn’t pay him any attention. Gruden leaves, he becomes the head coach. . . . It’s hard to say that the guy sabotaged the Super Bowl. You know, can you really say that? That can be my opinion, but I can’t say for a fact that that’s what his plan was, to sabotage the Super Bowl. He hated the Raiders so much that he would sabotage the Super Bowl so his friend can win the Super Bowl. That’s hard to say, because you can’t prove it.

“But the facts are what they are, that less than 36 hours before the game we changed our game plan. And we go into that game absolutely knowing that we have no shot. That the only shot we had if Tampa Bay didn’t show up.”

Brown explained that the change had a specific impact on Robbins. “Barret Robbins begged Coach Callahan, ‘Do not do this to me. I don’t have time to make my calls, to get my calls ready. You can’t do this to me on Friday. We haven’t practiced full speed, we can’t get this done.’”

Brown tiptoed around the question of whether the change caused Robbins to go off the deep end, suggesting that it had an impact and then explaining that there’s no way to know if it did. “I’m not saying one had anything to do with the other,” Brown said. “All I’m saying is those are the facts of what happened Super Bowl week. So our ire wasn’t towards Barret Robbins, it was towards Bill Callahan. Because we feel as if he wouldn’t have did what he did, then Barret wouldn’t have done what he did.

“Now, should Barret have manned up and tried to do it? Absolutely. But everybody knew Barret was unstable anyway. So to put him in that situation — not that he was putting him in that situation — but for that decision to be made without consulting the players the Friday before the Super Bowl? I played 27 years of football. The coaches never changed the game plan the Friday before the game. I’m not trying to point fingers at anybody here, all I’m saying is those are the facts of what happened. So people look at Barret and they say all these things, but every player in that locker room will tell you, ‘You’d better talk to Bill Callahan.’ Because if not for Coach Callahan, I don’t think we’re in that situation.”

Well, we now know what Tim Brown will be asked about next week in New Orleans. Continuously.

There’s only one potential flaw in Brown’s logic. He assumes that the new game plan was changed by Callahan. Who’s to say that the order to throw the ball 60 times didn’t come from the late Al Davis, who had a special affinity for throwing the football, and also for meddling directly in the coaching of the team?

Thus, while it’s easy to blame Callahan, Callahan may have simply been the messenger.

Regardless, Brown and Callahan and Gruden and quarterback Rich Gannon and anyone/everyone who was part of that team will soon be hearing from reporters and radio/TV producers, just in time for the 10th anniversary of the game.

vCash
    They were pass heavy all season, with the exception of the season finale against Kansas City in the rain. In the AFC Championship game against the Titans, Gannon opened up the game with something like 16 straight passing attempts. I wish we would have been run heavy against Tampa Bay, we had the line and bruising backs [Wheatley & Crockett] to really wear down the Bucs lightening quick but undersized defensive line and LBers.

But you stick with what got you there I suppose and the Raiders lived by the pass all season and died a brutal death by it in that Super Bowl. Tim Brown has really been talking out of school a lot lately, it kind of has me re-thinking what kind of player he was.

vCash
    ^^^ yea...Tim Brown seems to be unraveling some

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chucklemethis View Post
    ^^^ yea...Tim Brown seems to be unraveling some
    If the man says the gameplan changed on Friday, so that seems pretty straightforward to me. Whether it was Callahan or Davis who made the call, it amounts to pure stupidity to plan one way for the biggest game in football for four days and then scrap it for something completely different on the last day of preparation.

Ricky Stenhouse, Jr.
    Roush Fenway Racing #17 Ford Fusion

2013 NASCAR Sprint Cup Rookie of the Year Winner

vCash
    Not the kind of attention you want right before you're up for another HOF voting.

Callahan was out coached. Who throws a Super Bowl away out of petty spite? That's nonesense.
    PLEASE WELCOME THE NEW COACH OF YOUR OAKLAND RAIDERS.....

vCash
    I love Tim Brown as a player but he needs to just shut the **** up. I'm tired of hearing his ridiculous statements. It's like he is craving attention.

vCash
    You can't make anything of it till you at least hear the other side of the story.

Good find though. Some fat to chew on.

"Just Win Baby!"

vCash
    Totally implausible

Except we are talking about the Raiders.

First the Immaculate Deception, then Tuck Rule, now Callahangate.
    A few minutes later, Lincoln Kennedy to Charles Woodson: “What are they reviewing? It was a fumble”.
    Greg Biekert to Kennedy and Woodson: “They’re going to overturn it because they’re taking too long and we’re the Raiders”.[
    SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

vCash
    ****!!!! Can you please not re-open old wounds. We should have pounded the **** of the rock that day, I begged for it before the game. To come in wth the same passing attack with Gruden knowing all the audibles it was game over before kickoff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Avenged24 View Post
    go raiders

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NC_RaiderFan5 View Post
    If the man says the gameplan changed on Friday, so that seems pretty straightforward to me. Whether it was Callahan or Davis who made the call, it amounts to pure stupidity to plan one way for the biggest game in football for four days and then scrap it for something completely different on the last day of preparation.
    I'm not exactly saying he's going crazy or that he's wrong - I actually think he's right to say Callahan sabotaged the game by changing game plans. Gruden obviously knew everything about the passing attack.

But why talk about it now? And he says this after that whole Jerry Rice/Marc Trestman thing last week...the guy is looking for a attention like he's Chris Carter or something.

I just don't see why you talk about this now and not sooner. Is is supposed to help him get into the HOF or something? I dunno about that...

but I think that whole Barrett Robins things will make me think a lot different about Callahan now. the guy's unstable, freaked out to the coach when he changed the gameplan and then went AWOL. Callahan may be a good OL coach but you can see why no one has interviewed him for HC since he's been fired. He may be the stupidest coach on the planet doing what he did before the Superbowl.

But again, why talk about it now? Would've been a lot more interesting had we heard this sooner, but still interesting nonetheless.

vCash
    Callahan is an idiot if this is indeed true. Its been ten years since that loss and I am over it. No need to open up old wounds

vCash
    You want to know the one thing that stood out for me... that ONE thing... was when Lynch was mic'd and he said...plain as day... "They are doing everything that the coach said that they were going to do"

Out coached... Nah... that reminded me of the Waterboy scene when they were looking at the book "Coaching Football for Dummies" at the end....

vCash
    crockett was on mike and mike this morning said the changes were made because Barret went awol.

vCash
    IDK but this sounds like classic Al and Callahan was a tool. And it did seem like Tampa had a copy of the game plan in that game. Sabotage and revenge may be a bit strong but not out of the question. Jon Ritchie just co-signed Tim Brown on First Take also.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by midwestlaker75 View Post
    IDK but this sounds like classic Al and Callahan was a tool. And it did seem like Tampa had a copy of the game plan in that game. Sabotage and revenge may be a bit strong but not out of the question. Jon Ritchie just co-signed Tim Brown on First Take also.
    That's two men with honest opinions that I respect.

Maybe "sabotage" is too strong a word...maybe the wrong word...but no one ever scraps the game plan 2 days before a big game, let alone the Super Bowl. No one. You can modify it, you can change some sets out of which certain plays are called, but you don't scrap the game plan completely. Not if you want to win.

Crockett indicated that the reason that the game plan was changed on Friday was because BR went AWOL. From memory, I recall news of him going AWOL occuring on the Saturday, not Friday.

Also, if you have practiced all week to run the ball, but your starting center comes up missing on the day that you changed the game plan, wouldn't it behoove you to go back to the original game plan, especially, if that game plan called for heavy run packages? This season notwithstanding, it's generally easier to run block then pass block.
    "The United States military doesn't DO pin pricks." ~ President Barack Obama.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast