Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Royce White HBO interview: Reveals letter sent to him by GM, and letter he sent back

Interesting stuff, sounds like guy has way more problems than just fear of flying.

Letter from Rockets
    Here’s the excerpt of the letter.

This seems to be a good time for us to step back and think about some of the issues that we have been dealing with over the past few months. As we have told you repeatedly, our goals are for you to be fully integrated into the Team and to have a healthy and productive season, both on and off the court. We have been committed to these goals from the day we drafted you, and have acted consistently with those goals ever since. We have bent over backwards to accommodate your requests and help you meet these goals. At our meeting yesterday, I spent significant time addressing your frustrations. I would like to take this opportunity to further explain how your actions and the changing nature of your explanations for your actions has frustrated our attempts to help you meet your goals. The bottom line is that we remain willing to work with you on issues that arise from legitimate medical need, but you have to come to games, practice and everything else that you are able to do, just like any other player.

To revisit from the beginning, before we drafted you, you told us that your fear of flying was not an issue and that you were ready to be an NBA player. Shortly after we drafted you, you apologized for having to mislead us. You later indicated that you were feeling anxious about flying to the NBA’s rookie orientation program this summer. When you missed your scheduled flight, we arranged for a later flight and for Matt Brase to travel with you, working with the NBA to accommodate your concerns. Shortly after that, we informed you that we thought it would be beneficial for you to meet with Dr. Aaron Fink, a world-renowned psychiatrist, who could provide you with access to an appropriate professional in Houston to help should any situations arise. We gave you Dr. Fink’s contact information and several available times for an interview.

Letter from White to Rockets

In order for the working conditions to be safe and healthy for someone with mental illness/disability, it is the belief of the medical experts and myself credited for this document that a protocol has to be developed on how to appropriately deal with an individual in respect to mental illness(s)/disabilities from an operational and medical standpoint. A protocol will not only ensure the safe and healthy work conditions for a player like myself with mental illness, but also will lend a system of accountability for both the team and I to use to base what is the appropriate route of action.

Due to the lack of protocol regarding mental illness, this agreed upon document will serve as an addendum to insert into the medical category of the contract and team rules.

Acknowledgment: Acknowledging mental illness/disability as being in the category of medical condition.

The video feature also shows White struggling with anxiety in a number of daily situations. While driving, he admits he’s nervous because he’s afraid his fellow motorists are texting while driving. Showing off his closet, in which his jackets, shirts and shoes are precisely organized, he says that his hat collection is a particular source of stress.

“My hangers are spaced immaculately, all my suits are facing the same way,” he explains. “The item in here of all my clothes and belongings that gives the most anxiety for me is these hats. They’re easily misplaced, displaced. It’s a round shape on a square hook. Geometrically it messes with me, which is why I’m very careful when I pull them out of the closet. I don’t want to have to spend 20 minutes having to fix it. I’d prefer if you don’t [touch them].”

He opens up about his fear of flying and says that being on an airplane feels like he’s stuck inside a “steel death trap.”

“I get nervous when people talk about planes,” he says.

vCash
    He must have some serious issues to be ****ing up this opportunity.

vCash
    I don't know why he decided to enter the league.

vCash
    To revisit from the beginning, before we drafted you, you told us that your fear of flying was not an issue and that you were ready to be an NBA player. Shortly after we drafted you, you apologized for having to mislead us.
    Wow. Mental illness may be the cause of your fear of flying, but it does not justify lying.

vCash
    it sounds like he BS'd Houston before he was drafted. i dont blame them for being upset. ive been on their side all along and i remain on their side. White shouldnt have entered the NBA with his disorder.
    Bulls
    Bears
    White Sox

AND YOUR NEW STANLEY CUP CHAMPS, THE BLACKHAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vCash
    He mislead the Rockets and does not deserve any of his contract money because he is not fulfilling the duties on his contract. He should never have entered the NBA draft if he knew his situation was this bad. Sure there needs to be equal opportunity or whatever, but theres only so much someone can do. I understand he has a mental illness and I'm not blaming him for having it or trying to look out for himself, but he should've considered these things before he entered the league.

vCash
    Here we go again. Just wait for the RW apologists...

vCash
    The rockets stole this pick from the knicks, they could've drafted anybody out of 87 guys who entered the draft. they ended up with him. KARMA IS A BIIAATCH.

Now for white i feel bad for the kid. He's seriously sick. And at this point i dont even think its safe to bring him in the locker.

I Love My Team. I Love My City.
    We Are The KnicksTape.

vCash
    Yeah, I don't ever see him playing in this league.

He shouldn't have lied, but Houston should of done better homework. Both are at fault for putting themselves in this position.

SWAGUEZ!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yankeesown69 View Post
    He mislead the Rockets and does not deserve any of his contract money because he is not fulfilling the duties on his contract. He should never have entered the NBA draft if he knew his situation was this bad. Sure there needs to be equal opportunity or whatever, but theres only so much someone can do. I understand he has a mental illness and I'm not blaming him for having it or trying to look out for himself, but he should've considered these things before he entered the league.
    Well he's "suspended" without pay. It's not like he's just staying home and getting pay.
    Last edited by lamzoka; 01-21-2013 at 07:48 PM.

I Love My Team. I Love My City.
    We Are The KnicksTape.

vCash
    What a ****ing a-hole. He was fine for the pre-draft and the summer league/pre-season, but when it's time to actually play, he ******* out. I still don't how some of you are still defending him, he lied to the Rockets FO in saying that he can fly and then changes his tone as soon as he gets drafted. GTFO.

vCash
    I hope you're saving those checks Royce!

vCash
    I feel bad for this dude but with this type of disorder he needs to just care about his health.

He couldve been a solid player but he needs to worry about himself.

As for the rockets, they will live.

White is always going to look back at this and regret it. It kind of reminds me of that Aviator movie with Leo.

vCash
    This makes me sick, there are a million and one people that would kill for this opportunity and if your biggest issue is which direction your ******* hats are in then you need to take a step back and look in the mirror, what are you really doing? I mean i respect mental illness but this sounds like OCD mixed with anxiety. I worry about some of the things royce does like flying and driving but it doesnt mean i shut my life off because idiot motorists make me nervous. Get off the meds or on the meds whatever works just get your head straight and play ball or go home , give the money back and stop saying look at me. He's trivializing this for people with real issues.

vCash
    Hmmm misleading a team so they draft you is not ok. I understand the disorder, but if his disorder was as OCD/Anxiety as he's saying, he wouldn't of been able to lie about it. It caused a huge mess for him, and someone with severe anxiety wouldn't be able to deal with this mess and he'd be done with the league right now and just either go back to school or go on to a different career and try again at another time.

Someone with severe anxiety doesn't lie like he did because it would have led to an anxiety attack when it backfired on him. I smell something in the air...

Oh, and I used to back RW too
    Quote Originally Posted by heimdog8 View Post
    I didn't want to throw this information out here. I was a 3 year varsity starter at QB in high school. I played quarterback in junior college as well. I was considering playing division 1 football as well but chose to pursue my career in business instead. However, currently I am helping train with Derek Carr from Fresno State get ready for his pro day and the draft. I am also working with Cody Kessler, the USC quarterback.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast