Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Yankees sign Thomas Neal, woo!!! Wait a minute, who the heck is Thomas Neal?!?

When the Indians signed Nick Swisher, the Yankees were officially given their second first-round pick in this yearís Rule-4 draft. To make room for the ex-Yankee, Cleveland cleared the right-handed outfielder Thomas Neal from their 40-man roster. Though nothing is official yet, Neal has updated his Twitter bio, and it would appear heís now a New York Yankee.

While we wait to see how the team solves the catching and designated hitter problems, I canít help but get excited when they add depth. The Yankees have grown exceptionally skilled at finding bench players, and Neal now joins Russ Canzler, Matt Diaz, and a number of in-house options, as the potential fourth outfielder.

Heíll be 25-years old next season, but Neal has always been surrounded by high-hopes. In 2010, Neal was ranked the 96th overall prospect by Baseball America, thanks a year in High-A San Jose where he hit .337/.431/.579 with 22 home runs. Neal has continued to hit for average and take his walks, but outside of the hitter friendly California League, heís never shown the same power. In 2010, he put up a .799 OPS with just 12 home runs in Double-A. In 2011, he put up just a .734 OPS in Triple-A, but played most of his 277 plate appearances with shoulder and hand injuries. Last season, he regained some of his offense, hitting .314/.400/.467 with 12 home runs through 470 plate appearances in Double-A. With the potential he showed at an early age, youíd expect Neal to perform better at 24-years old, but his career has seen itís ups and down.

Defensively, Neal doesnít have the greatest range, but he makes this up with a solid arm. His tools make him a corner outfielder, but heís an above-average one that rarely makes errors.

Perhaps his greatest attribute is his makeup. The front office seems to always target players with strong work ethic, and Neal is highly praised for his dedication on and off the field. The Yankees have a knack for pairing coaches and players together, and finding the right chemistry. If Nealís work ethic is as high as itís touted, heíll be a nice fit for the team in Spring Training.

In regards to his splits, thereís some questions about how heíd fit into the current outfield group. With three left-handed hitters starting, the Yankees obviously want right-handed outfield depth to counter left-handed pitchers. While Neal is indeed right-handed, he has somewhat of a reverse platoon split over the last two years. Against left-handers, heís hit .316/.382/.413 with 2 home runs in 228 plate appearances. In 514 plate appearances against right-handers, heís hit .297/.376/.448. The sample size isnít huge, but there doesnít seem to be much of a split to take advantage of.

His outlook for the 2013 season is likely a Spring Training invitation, but chances are that heíll start the season in Triple-A, assuming his contract allows for that. Depending on where the team puts Zoilo Almonte, Neal could be the youngest outfielder for the Rail Riders. Even at 25-years old, Neal has some breakout ability, and the Yankees are hoping heíll be an above-average fourth outfielder.
    More OF depth! This team is stacked!!!

http://www.yankeeanalysts.com/2013/0...mas-neal-47494

Welcome to KC, Miss Kacie!

vCash
    Parade.

vCash
    He is the globetrotter that dribbles real low. Friends call him curly.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

"Wait a second.....did they say they are releasing new names from Biogenesis soon? I think I may have just soiled myself..."

Tick....tock.....tick....tock...

vCash
    Championship!
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    When you read that "perhaps his greatest attribute is his makeup" aka work ethic and dedication, you know that's a problem. Make no mistake, it's good to have a good work ethic, but if that's all you've got going for you...that sucks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Decimotox View Post
    When you read that "perhaps his greatest attribute is his makeup" aka work ethic and dedication, you know that's a problem. Make no mistake, it's good to have a good work ethic, but if that's all you've got going for you...that sucks.
    lol...Kinda like the girl with the great personality!!!

In all seriousness, as lucky as I am to have been a Yankee fan during these past 20-30 years of success, some of these off-season moves make me feel sorry for fans of teams like the Indians, Padres, & prior to this year, the Pirates. These types of players we are now signing are the kind of signings those fans have been having every year. Ouch...now I know howthey feel and I don't like it!!!

vCash
    Tommy Neal sounds better.

So, in effect, we traded Swisher to Cleveland for a first round pick, $70 million and Tommy Neal.

Leo likey!
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

"Wait a second.....did they say they are releasing new names from Biogenesis soon? I think I may have just soiled myself..."

vCash
    This has the best thread title ever.

vCash
    doesn't he play for the Ottawa Senators??? Oh thats Chris Neal

vCash
    Between Canzler and now Neal, I would have to give Cashman an A+ in terms of cost effective scrap heap additions.

These are right handed bats who can truly make an impact to this team and they won't cost as much as Andruw Jones or Scott Hairston.

In essence, the Yankee got Neal, Canzler, 70 Million Dollars and a 1st round pick for Nick Swisher.

Consider me extremely happy with this. Both players are Right Handed bats who need an opportunity.

If you look at both of their minor league slash lines and production, you would see that they have promise.

Role players can really help a team when you least expect them too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LeoYankee View Post
    Tommy Neal sounds better.

So, in effect, we traded Swisher to Cleveland for a first round pick, $70 million and Tommy Neal.

Leo likey!
    If that were the case we'd have 70 million bucks to spend. We traded Swisher for a pick, apparently Neal, and the Steinbrenners save an extra 70 million. At least now their kids won't have to worry about braces...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rylinkus View Post
    If that were the case we'd have 70 million bucks to spend. We traded Swisher for a pick, apparently Neal, and the Steinbrenners save an extra 70 million. At least now their kids won't have to worry about braces...
    They've spent enough over the last decade. I'd pocket some loot too.

You'll never hear me complain about ownership.

We are spoiled.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LeoYankee View Post
    They've spent enough over the last decade. I'd pocket some loot too.

You'll never hear me complain about ownership.

We are spoiled.
    My point is that we didn't gain 70 million to go towards team betterment. We saved 70 million that the Steinbrenners keep. It is what it is, but let's not pretend this "trade", since we're calling it that, benefits the team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rylinkus View Post
    My point is that we didn't gain 70 million to go towards team betterment. We saved 70 million that the Steinbrenners keep. It is what it is, but let's not pretend this "trade", since we're calling it that, benefits the team.
    Giancarlo in 2015!

vCash
    Dynasty
    Future Ace

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast