Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Will Atlanta EVER win another championship?

Why do we always play not to lose? Why did they abandon the successful man to man for a zone D yesterday? Why do all Atlanta sports teams play like were destined for failure? Why can we not let the past be the past? Will Atlanta ever win a chamionship again?

Odds say yes, over time, as long as teams remain and play in the ATL. But the nonstop playoff misery makes me wonder if we'll ever get over the hump.

Will the Braves or Falcons win a Championship first? Personally, I don't think the Braves chances are very good at all. Our incredible lack of offensive production and OBP will kill us this year. On top of that it doesn't take much to choke in the playoffs, just ask last year's defense. Our great pitching will only get us so far.

Aurthur Blank is the reason I believe the Falcons could get us over the hump. We were so fing close yesterday even with the poor move to zone defense that we still ended up 6 yards away from the Super Bowl, and a non-call for pass interference to boot. We SHOULD be in the Super Bowl, beating the Ravens. Ryan and Co. are that damn good, and really, our only chance next year of winning a title.
    1991 Lost WS to Twins 4-3
    1992 Lost WS to Blue Jays 4-2
    1993 Lost NLCS to Phillies 4-2
    1996 Lost WS to Yankees 4-2 (led 2-0)
    1997 Lost NLCS to Marlins 4-2
    1998 Lost NLCS to Padres 4-2
    1999 Lost WS 4-0 to Yankees
    2000 Lost NLDS 3-0 to Cardinals
    2001 Lost NLCS to Diamondbacks 4-1
    2002 Lost NLDS 3-2 to Giants
    2003 Lost NLDS 3-2 to Cubs
    2004 Lost NLDS 3-2 to Astros
    2005 Lost NLDS 3-1 to Astros
    2010 Lost NLDS 3-1 to Giants
    2012 Lost NLWC 1-0 to Cardinals
    2013 Lost NLDS 3-1 to Dodgers

vCash
    I like the Braves chances in the next few years.

vCash
    First, a lot of people in here are not all-Atlanta sports everything so you shouldn't have made this thread in here.

Second, the Braves have already shown you what's wrong -- people making excuses for overrated coaches and team leaders. Bobby Cox was allowed to stick around for an entire decade of not winning a playoff series in the '00s. Too many fans of the Braves (and the others) have become apologists. They're scared to make big moves, and look for someone else to blame every time the Braves get bounced -- an umpire making a bad call or a pinch-hitter making a bunch of errors when he should have never been in the field in the first place. Instead of putting heat where it belongs, they make excuses.
    Last edited by Bravo95; 01-21-2013 at 03:20 PM.

vCash
    no
    .................................................. ..................................

vCash
    The MLB playoffs are an absolute crapshoot, the Giants and Cardinals teams that won over the past three years probably weren't even top 5 teams in baseball. As long as we keep getting into the playoffs, we have a shot, we just need a couple of breaks to actually go our way.

Did you not read the article on the top 25 players under 25 that was just posted in here? We have more than any other team. The only other team in baseball with a future as bright as ours is the Nats, who are unfortunately in our division, but we're going to see a good decade of division races that will be one of the biggest focuses in the baseball world summer after summer.

Atlanta sports have a tortured past but the Braves and Falcons are both legitimate title contenders right now, so I'd say it's a good time to be a fan.

vCash
    I predict the Braves and the Falcons will both win a championship in the next three years. If the Falcons could get a consistent RB bigger than Quizz, and also get one more good DB they are set. The Braves need one player whether it be an outfielder or 3rd baseman to be a complete team.
    ]

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HickCaesar
    The MLB playoffs are an absolute crapshoot, the Giants and Cardinals teams that won over the past three years probably weren't even top 5 teams in baseball.
    That's denying those champs a lot of credit. The Cardinals blew a lot of close games during the regular season, and the Giants have proven its no fluke by winning it twice in three years, even after Lincecum fell off a cliff.

The single game elimination (in any sport) is more of a crapshoot than 7 games, but the Braves haven't proven they can handle either format lately.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo95 View Post
    That's denying those champs a lot of credit. The Cardinals blew a lot of close games during the regular season, and the Giants have proven its no fluke by winning it twice in three years, even after Lincecum fell off a cliff.

The single game elimination (in any sport) is more of a crapshoot than 7 games, but the Braves haven't proven they can handle either format lately.
    Well I think the Giants were a top 5 team in 2010 actually, but I stand by the statement that the baseball playoffs are a crapshoot, and that neither the 2011 Cards nor the 2012 Giants were top 5 teams in baseball. You can't take away those rings obviously but it's just the nature of the game that anything can happen in a 5 or 7 game series.

vCash
    DB, we should get Grimes back next year. I think it's time to look at serious strengthening in the D-Line and a Turner replacement (not immediate), but one that can learn the ropes and replace him eventually. Not sure we'll be able to get anyone in the late picks but could trade.....
    1991 Lost WS to Twins 4-3
    1992 Lost WS to Blue Jays 4-2
    1993 Lost NLCS to Phillies 4-2
    1996 Lost WS to Yankees 4-2 (led 2-0)
    1997 Lost NLCS to Marlins 4-2
    1998 Lost NLCS to Padres 4-2
    1999 Lost WS 4-0 to Yankees
    2000 Lost NLDS 3-0 to Cardinals
    2001 Lost NLCS to Diamondbacks 4-1
    2002 Lost NLDS 3-2 to Giants
    2003 Lost NLDS 3-2 to Cubs
    2004 Lost NLDS 3-2 to Astros
    2005 Lost NLDS 3-1 to Astros
    2010 Lost NLDS 3-1 to Giants
    2012 Lost NLWC 1-0 to Cardinals
    2013 Lost NLDS 3-1 to Dodgers

vCash
    I think the Falcons and Braves have a fairly equal chance at a Championship. Both the NFL and MLB are much more winnable for more teams than the NBA obviously, but I think the number of Baseball teams is every team in the playoffs. In the NFL there are only a handfull of teams that can win in a given year (6 at most, this year was one of the biggest toss ups ever), therefore the MLB is more of a "toss up". I think the Falcons have an ownership advantage, and obviously a payroll advantage due to the money sharing and salary cap. The Falcons are currently a comparatively better team in the league than the Braves are, but the Braves are younger (the Falcons are still young) and have fewer holes. The Falcons entire D needs work.

We will have both teams be competitive for the next few years, which is exciting. Its also worth note that Danny Ferry has big plans on the 18th Floor of Centennial Tower, and the cap space and young talent to become competitive too.

vCash
    I hope the Braves do

Go Braves/49ers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HickCaesar
    Well I think the Giants were a top 5 team in 2010 actually, but I stand by the statement that the baseball playoffs are a crapshoot, and that neither the 2011 Cards nor the 2012 Giants were top 5 teams in baseball. You can't take away those rings obviously but it's just the nature of the game that anything can happen in a 5 or 7 game series.
    The SF Giants are one of the last teams I'd want to say nice things about, but they did win 94 games (5th most) last season, after losing one of their best hitters to a suspension. The 2011 Cardinals' offense was as good as any in the majors. Carpenter was their horse, but they pretty much outslugged the competition on their way to the title.
    Last edited by Bravo95; 01-23-2013 at 04:38 PM.

vCash
    How'd I know it was you who made this thread?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ugafan View Post
    How'd I know it was you who made this thread?
    haha, I knew it from the get go too.

I do want to say sorry to the Falcon fans though. I was pulling for you guys since there are quite a few Brave fans that are falcon fans. Poor Tony G. The man really deserved one.

vCash
    Not a falcon fan but I feel for my brave brothers

The Cult of Gattis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast