Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: More Rules on Big Hits or Less Rules on Big Hits?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • More Rules on Big Hits

6 18.18%
  • Less Rules on Big Hits

27 81.82%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blakersburris View Post
    We obviously know that hitting your head at full speed for a decade can cause some damage. There is no disputing that.

My concern is, if you are up to making a million dollars a year and are aware of the repercussions of banging your head for a decade, then why don't we let these guys bang away?

Nascar drivers have much more of a risk, IMO. Should they implement speed limits?
    They kind of do with restrictor plate races...

I don't agree with all of the penalties, but the rule changes are for workplace safety. There are inherent risks in the job, but there's no reason to ignore precautions to avoid such problems.
    How I Feel reading Cliff Stein's Contracts:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    They make millions, plus they're aware of the consequences. Even before all of this concussion talk, football players knew the affects the game would have on their knees, ankles, back, and whatever else could possibly happen. No one is saying they shouldn't try to make the game safer (via better equipment, or enforcing blatant dirty hits), but they shouldn't kill the sport in the process. It's a contact sport that is going to have a rough effect on the body, regardless of how many rules they put in.

IMO, leading with the head should be a penalty, however, helmets touching should NOT. In the current game we're seeing defenders leave their natural movements to make sure they don't accidentally bump helmets, which is ridiculous. Now, when someone slams face-mask first into the side of someone else's helmet, that absolutely should be illegal, but just because they hit doesn't mean it should have a game-effecting 15 yard penalty + a first down.
    You're right, before they knew about the amount of wear and tear it would take on their bodies. But we're seeing the effects of that in the long run and Goodell is trying to take precaution under his watch to help his players still live a long, healthy life as much as possible by taking out the unnecessary big hits. I know this game is violent and it will always be violent. But some of the steps he's taken is only for the safety of the players and people need to realize that and stop getting into a hissy fit because they want to see these huge hits every week. I just don't get why people fail to realize this is a safety issue and why it's such a huge problem. It's not wrecking the game, the game is still very physical. It doesn't take anything away from the game. It's just making it safer for the players. What's the big deal about that? (The question isn't necessarily meant towards you, just in general)

Shailene Woodley

vCash
    Why do people want players to get fined for making a big hit?

It's kind of like those donkeys who wanted to suspend Jared Allen for laying a blindside hit.

In all of my years of playing football, not one coach said to lay back when hitting another guy. Every coach I had encouraged all players to make the highlight reel and light someone up.

I blame it all on Goodell and how he is making tackle football two-hand-touch. Players and coaches don't want these rule changes, so who really does?

If anything, I want these guys to juice more and hit more defenseless receivers.

Question is; Would you like more rules on big hits or less rules on big hits?
    I kind of question some of it myself. As long as a tackler is doing their job and not trying to hurt a player, then he's alright.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SFrush90 View Post
    You're right, before they knew about the amount of wear and tear it would take on their bodies. But we're seeing the effects of that in the long run and Goodell is trying to take precaution under his watch to help his players still live a long, healthy life as much as possible by taking out the unnecessary big hits. I know this game is violent and it will always be violent. But some of the steps he's taken is only for the safety of the players and people need to realize that and stop getting into a hissy fit because they want to see these huge hits every week. I just don't get why people fail to realize this is a safety issue and why it's such a huge problem. It's not wrecking the game, the game is still very physical. It doesn't take anything away from the game. It's just making it safer for the players. What's the big deal about that? (The question isn't necessarily meant towards you, just in general)
    I have no problem with certain hits bringing penalties, but considering a questionable helmet-to-helmet hit gives 15 yards + a first down can truly ruin a game. It's not even challengable, so what about when it doesn't even happen and refs call it anyway? I'm just saying if they're going to make these bs rules they need to find a way to either make it less devastating, make unintentional illegal hits worth smaller penalties (at the ref's discretion), or make these penalties able to be challenged.

vCash
    Do you guys understand how asinine it is to hear you ***** about this.

HOW DARE THE SAFETY OF THE PEOPLE I AM WATCHING PLAY MATTER. I AS THE WATCHER HAVE EVERY RIGHT TO ***** ABOUT SAFETY LIMITATIONS PUT INTO A GAME I DO NOT PLAY.

Ya, some of the rules are over the top but get real.... I'm a []D [] []V[] []D
    Gustav Nyquist is Jesus

didn't even hit the goalie doo

Ya, we're spoiled.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by envymamba24 View Post
    no. it absolutely does not work like that. you act like he is the only one complaining about the issues at hand with the sport. even the players dont like it. i saw harder hits watching my little brother play. the point is, this is not A contact sport, its THEE contact sport, and many of us (about 999,999,999 out of a million arent fit to participate). if you happen to be that one in a million, and are passionate about being so, there is a risk..just like there is with everything. this isnt the football dad or grandpa watched, and in 20 years, you yourself will be complaining that the flag football league is atrocious.
    LOL, what?

vCash
    ^ Okay, maybe you'll get this analogy....

Is it fair for metal workers to get cyanide poisoning??

So, are we going to stop making metal because these guys actually die on scene when they get cyanide poisoning? Factor in, they probably make $50,000 per year in comparison to millions a year.
    and what about the metal workers who committed suicide are they gonna start giving these humans brain test and blame everything on cyanide poisoning?
    @paulpierce34 I told Wade I will **** his mom like how my man D. West did his mans. Thats why I got ejected
    Ignore List:
    AIMelo=KillaDUO; Reason: Makes up stories to protect the one he beats his meat to everynight(Melo)
    Chucky Woods; Reason: Packer Homer that just talks outta his Azz
    HaruSoul; Reason: Sanchez homer can't see that he is a POS qb
    Hustlenomics; Reason: Good luck debating with this Ronda homer
    nickdymez; Reason: Kobe/Laker homer but didn't even know how the Lakers got Kobe

vCash
    We obviously know that hitting your head at full speed for a decade can cause some damage. There is no disputing that.

My concern is, if you are up to making a million dollars a year and are aware of the repercussions of banging your head for a decade, then why don't we let these guys bang away?

Nascar drivers have much more of a risk, IMO. Should they implement speed limits?
    They have put limits on speeds and for safety reasons.

Adopt-A-Viking: Harrison Smith
    Tackles: 23, INTs: 2, Sacks: 0

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TC119 View Post
    LOL, what?
    Ah... I missed that part too...funny.

vCash
    My belief is every employer should make the job as safe as can be without affecting the integrity of the job itself. What Goodell is doing does not affect the integrity, imo. I don't watch the games because of the hits, I could care less. I watch it for the entertainment value it brings.

vCash
    I saw at least 4 fine worthy actions there.

Big THX to MJ's Bulls and pheagles10 on the sig help!
    Dear T-Mac,
    I miss you.
    Love,
    The Rim

vCash
    Goodell says what the owners tell him to say. Don't accuse him of caring for the players. He was hired and is paid to do things he doesn't believe in. Most of us wouldn't be able to do that at any price. The man deserves his due. It ain't easy being sleazy, but Goodell does it better than anyone I know.

vCash
    The sport has to change or it won't last. It's not just lawsuits and liability on the pro level, but football will die at every level: pop warner, grade school, and college. Mothers won't let their kids play football and the talent base will wither all the way up the line.

Yeah, I want to see bone jarring hits and all that, and there's still plenty to see. But the league is trying to figure out every way to reduce helmet hits. It has to, or football will become a niche sport like boxing. We're just in the early phases of the game undergoing a big transformation, so get used to it. People complained when they changed the rules in the late 70s too, but they got used to it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kubernetes View Post
    The sport has to change or it won't last. It's not just lawsuits and liability on the pro level, but football will die at every level: pop warner, grade school, and college. Mothers won't let their kids play football and the talent base will wither all the way up the line.

Yeah, I want to see bone jarring hits and all that, and there's still plenty to see.
    What do you mean by bone jaring?

vCash
    Why do people want players to get fined for making a big hit?

It's kind of like those donkeys who wanted to suspend Jared Allen for laying a blindside hit.

In all of my years of playing football, not one coach said to lay back when hitting another guy. Every coach I had encouraged all players to make the highlight reel and light someone up.

I blame it all on Goodell and how he is making tackle football two-hand-touch. Players and coaches don't want these rule changes, so who really does?

If anything, I want these guys to juice more and hit more defenseless receivers.

Question is; Would you like more rules on big hits or less rules on big hits?
    No way; I want a lot more rules on big hits, protecting The NFL players' current & future health.
    Could please, not use sexist language??
    Last edited by GreatWhiteShark; 01-23-2013 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Just notice the sexist languafe of the thread's original post.
    Wild West, Ag. community, Seasonal-Self Employed, Bachelor Degree, Broad Fields, Experiences, Creative-Open minded, Reality-People, Tom Hartmann&Dan Sileo 'Best Broadcasters, Expose-Take On Big Guys Taking Little Guys', So What-Whom tell? Fanship, NOT FANATIC; Quality, Critically examine, Thought out, learned, experienced, facilitated, diverse fields, proven, science, others have experienced, Report personal attacks, Off Topics or bully Topics, Don't like-ignore, still not like-ignore button.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast