Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





View Poll Results: More Rules on Big Hits or Less Rules on Big Hits?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • More Rules on Big Hits

    6 18.18%
  • Less Rules on Big Hits

    27 81.82%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 99
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,210
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by blakersburris View Post
    I also don't know how laying your helmet on someone's chin causes brain injury???

    Anytime a helmet has ever grazed the bottom-half of my facemask, I've never felt any pain in my head.
    Because it shakes your brain. You seriously don't see how getting speared in the chin affects your heAd?

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    24,356
    vCash
    2500
    As much as a lot of people hate Goodell, he's doing his players good in the long run. They may not like it now, but 20-30+ years from now I'd guess they'd be much happier having a less likelihood of having long-term brain injuries because of the way he's handling the type of hits. Football is still very physical. Does it really hurt that there aren't as many "JACKED UP" hits anymore? Personally, I'd rather see a player have a better chance of having a longer, healthier life than see these big hits every week. They'll still be there, but just not to what we've been used to seeing.
    Last edited by SFrush90; 01-21-2013 at 05:22 PM.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    9,982
    vCash
    1000
    "When I played high school football it never hurt when I got hit in the helmet."



    Nobody ****s with the Gustav

    5 GA / 4 G / 1 A
    Adopt a Packers \/ Davante Adams and Sammy Shields

    Davante Adams - 17 Rec, 188 Yards, 2 TD


    Sam Shields- 12 Tackles, 2 INTs, 6 PassD


  4. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    967
    vCash
    1500
    I want football to be a contact sport, not a combat sport.
    _

    Adopt a Jet

    Bilal Powell - 2014
    16 carries, 78 yards, 1 TD
    5 receptions, 50 yards

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,889
    vCash
    1500


    LOVE THIS HIT....HE GOT FLAGGED BUT NOT FINED!!! ********! THANKS GOODELL!

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    south OC
    Posts
    2,332
    vCash
    1500
    We obviously know that hitting your head at full speed for a decade can cause some damage. There is no disputing that.

    My concern is, if you are up to making a million dollars a year and are aware of the repercussions of banging your head for a decade, then why don't we let these guys bang away?

    Nascar drivers have much more of a risk, IMO. Should they implement speed limits?
    Last edited by blakersburris; 01-21-2013 at 06:41 PM.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    south OC
    Posts
    2,332
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by tmacsc2 View Post


    LOVE THIS HIT....HE GOT FLAGGED BUT NOT FINED!!! ********! THANKS GOODELL!
    And this hit was perfectly fine, IMO. Why is the NFL flagging this play?

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    24,356
    vCash
    2500
    Quote Originally Posted by blakersburris View Post
    We obviously know that hitting your head at full speed for a decade can cause some damage. There is no disputing that.

    My concern is, if you are up to making a million dollars a year and are aware of the repercussions of banging your head for a decade, then why don't we let these guys bang away?

    Nascar drivers have much more of a risk, IMO. Should they implement speed limits?
    Just because they make millions they shouldn't be properly protected? That's dumb. Having a healthier, longer life is more important than money. I don't get why your so against protecting these players. It's still a very physical, violent sport with Goodell's new rules. Why does there need to be so much head banging?

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    7,136
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by blakersburris View Post
    ^ If you don't want to get in the head, then don't play football.

    If you don't want to get sandy, then don't go to the beach.

    If you don't want to get wet, then don't go swimming.

    If you don't want to get hit by a fastball, then don't play baseball.

    If you're afraid of heights, don't ride the roller coaster.

    You feel me?
    And if you don't like the watered down football they play today, don't watch. See how that works?

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    new york
    Posts
    861
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by torrance View Post
    And if you don't like the watered down football they play today, don't watch. See how that works?
    no. it absolutely does not work like that. you act like he is the only one complaining about the issues at hand with the sport. even the players dont like it. i saw harder hits watching my little brother play. the point is, this is not A contact sport, its THEE contact sport, and many of us (about 999,999,999 out of a million arent fit to participate). if you happen to be that one in a million, and are passionate about being so, there is a risk..just like there is with everything. this isnt the football dad or grandpa watched, and in 20 years, you yourself will be complaining that the flag football league is atrocious.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Eastern Mass
    Posts
    1,167
    vCash
    1500
    Goodell is doing a fantastic job in my opinion. As the league progresses players are getting stronger, faster, and bigger. Sure right now we dont see every player with head trauma, but the number will steadily rise as the years go by if there isnt a change.

    The players are entertainers not barbarians. The league has to do whatever is possible to protect the product. IF they just let these guys knock their heads off each other the NFL would drown in lawsuits from players families for not taking the proper steps to protect their employees.
    The name is Amendola....

    ...Danny Amendola

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    7,466
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by blakersburris View Post
    I also don't know how laying your helmet on someone's chin causes brain injury???

    Anytime a helmet has ever grazed the bottom-half of my facemask, I've never felt any pain in my head.
    The "button" isn't the bottom-half of a facemask.
    Button: This is a term for a point on the chin that if hit just right will usually knock a boxer down and might knock him out.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    7,136
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by envymamba24 View Post
    no. it absolutely does not work like that. you act like he is the only one complaining about the issues at hand with the sport. even the players dont like it. i saw harder hits watching my little brother play. the point is, this is not A contact sport, its THEE contact sport, and many of us (about 999,999,999 out of a million arent fit to participate). if you happen to be that one in a million, and are passionate about being so, there is a risk..just like there is with everything. this isnt the football dad or grandpa watched, and in 20 years, you yourself will be complaining that the flag football league is atrocious.
    I actually agree with you about football being watered down. And yes, I think they've gone too far, making it almost impossible for a player to tackle without getting flagged. But I stand by my comment, which was a response to "if you don't want to get hit in the head, don't play football," which I believe is too vague. The subject is more complex than that.
    Last edited by torrance; 01-21-2013 at 10:12 PM.

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Dirty Mitten
    Posts
    16,878
    vCash
    3542
    Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    Give em racks!
    Give them Dabs!

    #81

    19 Rec - 329 Yards -2 TD

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4,948
    vCash
    1437
    Quote Originally Posted by SFrush90 View Post
    Just because they make millions they shouldn't be properly protected? That's dumb. Having a healthier, longer life is more important than money. I don't get why your so against protecting these players. It's still a very physical, violent sport with Goodell's new rules. Why does there need to be so much head banging?
    They make millions, plus they're aware of the consequences. Even before all of this concussion talk, football players knew the affects the game would have on their knees, ankles, back, and whatever else could possibly happen. No one is saying they shouldn't try to make the game safer (via better equipment, or enforcing blatant dirty hits), but they shouldn't kill the sport in the process. It's a contact sport that is going to have a rough effect on the body, regardless of how many rules they put in.

    IMO, leading with the head should be a penalty, however, helmets touching should NOT. In the current game we're seeing defenders leave their natural movements to make sure they don't accidentally bump helmets, which is ridiculous. Now, when someone slams face-mask first into the side of someone else's helmet, that absolutely should be illegal, but just because they hit doesn't mean it should have a game-effecting 15 yard penalty + a first down.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •