Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Wes Welker dropped the most catchable passes in the entire NFL this season.

Per PFF:

Welker:

166 Targets
    118 Catches
    15 Drops
    133 Catchable
    11.28 Drop Rate

vCash
    Another attempt at the Patriot fanbase to stab its own players...

what makes this thread worthy exactly?

vCash
    how do you determine a throw catchable or not?
    The name is Amendola....

...Danny Amendola

vCash
    Yea that dropped pass was our only chance of winning...

vCash
    I think Welker has came up short when its been on the line the last few year. I mean I know him and Brady have a special type of connection; surpassing 100 catches and 1,000 yards 5 times is nuts. But at the same time it be nice to have somebody bigger, who can go up and make a play on the ball. I'm pretty comfortable with letting Welker go and spending the extra money it would of taking to take him to sign a Bowe or Wallace. With one of those guys as the #1 and Llyod at the #2 spot we can fill in the rest whatever, the days of 5 WR on the field are over. (I'm calling Gronk and Hernandez TE's) as I expect quite a bit of 2 TE 2 WR 1 back sets. Probably even see the 3 TE hopefully with Ballard.

vCash
    Wallace is one of the most overrated players in the NFL.

Bowe isn't anything special either.

vCash
    What do you guys think of Tavon Austin or Terrance Williams? I think either of them could be a nice fit in the offense - Austin especially if Welker leaves. Austin really reminds of Welker (from ESPN scouting):

Pint-sized and vastly lacks prototypical height and bulk. However, top-end speed is in the elite level.

A sudden and explosive route runner. A quick starter that is lightning quick and has very good top-end speed. Flashes some savvy but can continue to improve. Does a nice job of gaining initial leverage and tempos routes well to set up defenders within stem. Transitions instantly out of cuts and can stick his foot in the ground and explode out of breaks to create separation. Has a natural feel working against zone coverage. Does a nice job of avoiding traffic to find soft spots in zone coverage. Displays quick feet and hands to gain clean release against press coverage.

Arguably one of the nations' biggest playmakers with the ball in his hand. Transitions up field instantly after the catch. Possesses great peripheral vision, gets from 0-60 mph instantly and can maintain 5th gear through cuts making him extremely dangerous after the catch. Consistently made defenders look 'silly' trying to corral him in one-on-one situations. Displays an extra gear to out run pursuit and take it the distance when catching day light. Certainly has the top-end speed to stretch the field but lacks the size, strength and leaping ability to consistently win one-on-one battles.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sportfan View Post

Bowe isn't anything special either.
    I agree to a certain extent with this. For the kind of money that Wallace is looking for, I agree that he is overrated. He's a good player, but he wants elite WR money. Bowe is hilariously overrated though. He has trouble learning the playbook, and is not consistent at all.

I totally agree that blaming Welker for the loss is just wrong. This is a team sport, and there are a lot of reasons why we lost. Not having a healthy Jones and Talib was a crushing blow, and Baltimore had a terrific second half gameplan.
    Patriots Forum Hall of Fame Class of 2011

vCash
    When you are targeted as much as Welker is, you are bound to be near the top of the league in a stat like this. This is trying to make something out of nothing. While I would agree Welker is limited in his catch radius, he's still an incredibly productive player. You just have to understand that despite being a top 5 WR production-wise every year, he's not going to make the impact of a Calvin Johnson, AJ Green, Larry Fitzgerald, etc. because he's not the same type of receiver.

And this is why if you give me my choice of 2 players out of Vollmer, Talib and Welker, I pay Vollmer and Talib.

Patriots Forum Hall of Fame Class of 2013
    -mooz

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sportfan View Post
    I'm a Steelers fan...and I couldn't agree more with this statement. I can't wait for some other team to sign him. Frees up tons of cap room for us and he becomes someone else's bad investment.
    Originally Posted by dennisonschili

"if i had a choice between getting prison raped or trading troy, i might trade troy.......maybe."

vCash
    I don't really have a problem with Welker's drops exactly. He's targeted so much and works through a lot of traffic so to be honest the law of averages says he should be at or near the top of this list every season. The problem with him is, as someone said above, his limited catch radius. If it's not in his body, he just doesn't look comfortable catching it. Every over the shoulder pass with him is a circus. I don't think a receiver that is so limited in what types of passes he can catch can be targeted as much as he is. I think we're better off replacing Welker with a guy that can work outside the #s and downfield and letting Hernandez and the running backs (expect Vereen to be more involved in the passing game out of the backfield next year) make up what we lose inside. I just think that would diversify our offense more and leave more cap room to sign guys tat I end more important like Vollmer and Talib.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Haha View Post
    What I feel right now is like the satisfaction you feel when a highly judgmental, moralistic televangelist gets caught screwing a male hooker.
    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Trill Team

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    I don't really have a problem with Welker's drops exactly. He's targeted so much and works through a lot of traffic so to be honest the law of averages says he should be at or near the top of this list every season. The problem with him is, as someone said above, his limited catch radius. If it's not in his body, he just doesn't look comfortable catching it. Every over the shoulder pass with him is a circus. I don't think a receiver that is so limited in what types of passes he can catch can be targeted as much as he is. I think we're better off replacing Welker with a guy that can work outside the #s and downfield and letting Hernandez and the running backs (expect Vereen to be more involved in the passing game out of the backfield next year) make up what we lose inside. I just think that would diversify our offense more and leave more cap room to sign guys tat I end more important like Vollmer and Talib.
    I do. Now that Welkers career with the Pats is over I will always remember him for being one of the toughest guys i've ever seen but someone that chokes when the games got big.
    Eat Lobster

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lobster View Post
    I do. Now that Welkers career with the Pats is over I will always remember him for being one of the toughest guys i've ever seen but someone that chokes when the games got big.
    ???

Playoffs:

2007:

9 for 54 and TD; 1 rush for 13 yards; 1 punt return for 14 yards; KR 4 for 78 yards

7 for 56 and TD

11 for 103 vs the Giants in the 2007 SB; 1 punt return for 15 yards

Following years:

7 for 57
    6 for 55 w/ 1 TD
    6 for 53
    7 for 60; 2 rushes for 21 yards

2012:

8 for 131
    8 for 117 and 1 TD; 4 punts for 56 yards

Yeah, I can see by that that Welker was just brutal. I don't think he fits here, but there is no reason to demean what he did here. Best NFL slot WR over a 6 year period, finishing #1 in Recs 3 times.

In the playoffs he averaged 7.7 recs (123 catches over 16 games) for 76.2 yds (1219 yards over 16 games), .5 TD (8 TD)'s, 1 punt return for 10.6 yds. I'm not sorry he was here, and he is not responsible for any playoff loses IMO, including last years SB.
    Last edited by bagwell368; 01-25-2013 at 09:23 AM.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    ???

Playoffs:

2007:

9 for 54 and TD; 1 rush for 13 yards; 1 punt return for 14 yards; KR 4 for 78 yards

7 for 56 and TD

11 for 103 vs the Giants in the 2007 SB; 1 punt return for 15 yards

Following years:

7 for 57
    6 for 55 w/ 1 TD
    6 for 53
    7 for 60; 2 rushes for 21 yards

2012:

8 for 131
    8 for 117 and 1 TD; 4 punts for 56 yards

Yeah, I can see by that that Welker was just brutal. I don't think he fits here, but there is no reason to demean what he did here. Best NFL slot WR over a 6 year period, finishing #1 in Recs 3 times.

In the playoffs he averaged 7.7 recs (123 catches over 16 games) for 76.2 yds (1219 yards over 16 games), .5 TD (8 TD)'s, 1 punt return for 10.6 yds. I'm not sorry he was here, and he is not responsible for any playoff loses IMO, including last years SB.
    IMO the 2 biggest plays in our last 2 playoff loses were Welker drops. I love him for what he has done for us and how tough he is but I will always remember those drops when I think of him in the future. I doubt i'm alone.
    Eat Lobster

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lobster View Post
    IMO the 2 biggest plays in our last 2 playoff loses were Welker drops. I love him for what he has done for us and how tough he is but I will always remember those drops when I think of him in the future. I doubt i'm alone.
    The "drop" in the SB was a very difficult play.

When I think of last Sunday, I'll think of BB/coaches screwing up the time out at the end of the half, the Pats punting at the Ravens 38, running on the first red zone possession leading to a FG and not a TD.

Pats had a pile of opportunities to put the Raves in a box, when they could execute, the Ravens took over... Welker is not only not the leading culprit IMO, he's just one of a dozen things that went wrong in that game, not THE thing.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast