Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    CoF!!!!!!!
    I get the impression FOC that you have visions of a mini Billy Wagner dancing in your head when you see Josh Edgin on the mound.

vCash
    Scrap heap Mets!!!

WOOOHOOOO!!!

Is that 10 minor league deals now and not ONE MLB FA signed???

Great job Mets.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    I get the impression FOC that you have visions of a mini Billy Wagner dancing in your head when you see Josh Edgin on the mound.
    How "big" is a mini Billy Wagner? 5'5"?
    Wagner was listed at 5'10", but he's not as "tall" as I am.
    Scarecrow: I haven't got a brain... only straw.
    Dorothy: How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
    Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
    Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by eltwo View Post
    How "big" is a mini Billy Wagner? 5'5"?
    Wagner was listed at 5'10", but he's not as "tall" as I am.
    I meant by results but yeah Billy wasn't a very big guy literally lol.

vCash
    In all seriousness, I'm seeing a dynamic similar to what I saw in a young Jesse Orosco who was mediocre at best from the time he came up prematurely in 1979 right through 1982. If you asked me what I thought would become of Jesse during any of those years, I would have said "Feh. Just another mediocre Met pitcher."

Then BAM! 1983 comes and he starts throwing this slider like i had never seen before. By the All Star Break he was the best reliever in all of baseball. Geez, Met Manager Frank Howard used to bring him in for 4 inning saves. He was unhittable. Hell, the NL would have won the All Star Game that year if expletive deletive Whitey Herzog used Jesse to pitch to Fred Lynn with the bases juiced instead of SF's Atley Hammaker. The result: Lynn hit the first grand slam in All Star Game history.

My point is that something -- can't tell you exactly what -- but something about Edgin reminds me of a young Jesse. Good arm, good attitude, just hasn't figured out how to put it all together yet. But something -- and again i don't know what that something is -- tells me he will. Then watch out baseball. Josh Edgin will go from being CoF to CoP!!!!!
    Last edited by fanofclendennon; 01-22-2013 at 11:37 AM.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    I certainly get the feel that Edgin has the "stomach" for the late innings unlike Parnell when he first came up...hell and even more than Parnell does now.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoMeFavors View Post
    Bulls wont make the playoffs you can write it down.
    I've talked to some Nets and they told me they are saving their energy for the playoffs and people talking down on them are going to be suprised. One player told me "this was our plan all along"
    DMF on May 4th 2013:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Daaaarryyl View Post
    I certainly get the feel that Edgin has the "stomach" for the late innings unlike Parnell when he first came up...hell and even more than Parnell does now.
    Yeah he's definitely packing some more pounds in there that's for sure... lol

On a serious note, I don't know how you would come to this conclusion since I believe Edgin gave up a walk-off HR to Jay Bruce and a go-ahead 2-run HR to Ryan Howard.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Yeah he's definitely packing some more pounds in there that's for sure... lol

On a serious note, I don't know how you would come to this conclusion since I believe Edgin gave up a walk-off HR to Jay Bruce and a go-ahead 2-run HR to Ryan Howard.
    He also had a save stolen from him a week earlier when an error cost him a BS, forget wwho made the error.

No, stomach doesn't mean he won't blow games at all. It's just the feel, body language and aggresiveness to challenge hitters that I personally liked when I saw him pitch. Reminded me of Heath Bell when he first came up and was challenging hitters in the 8th and 9th before the league realized he had no other pitches but the fastball and he was sent back down (when Howe was manager; Willie didn't seem to know anything about Bell and used him as a longman/middle guy).

I don't see Edgin as the COF, personally. But I do think he could be a nice 7th/8th inning lefty set-up option which is valuable.
    Last edited by Daaaarryyl; 01-22-2013 at 02:04 PM.
    I've talked to some Nets and they told me they are saving their energy for the playoffs and people talking down on them are going to be suprised. One player told me "this was our plan all along"
    DMF on May 4th 2013:

vCash
    I like him too, but as a LOOGY and nothing more.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    Less than a month from pitchers and catchers and still no major league free agents signed.

And no, I'm not inviting the reflex "well who would you sign" rebuttal. I'm actually in awe of a major league organization being able to pull this off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulie6986 View Post
    That's why they've been known as the "Amazin Mets". They never cease to amaze.
    Has this ever been done in the Free Agency era?
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    He also had a save stolen from him a week earlier when an error cost him a BS, forget wwho made the error.

No, stomach doesn't mean he won't blow games at all. It's just the feel, body language and aggresiveness to challenge hitters that I personally liked when I saw him pitch. Reminded me of Heath Bell when he first came up and was challenging hitters in the 8th and 9th before the league realized he had no other pitches but the fastball and he was sent back down (when Howe was manager; Willie didn't seem to know anything about Bell and used him as a longman/middle guy).

I don't see Edgin as the COF, personally. But I do think he could be a nice 7th/8th inning lefty set-up option which is valuable.
    Sure, you say that now. But in a few months you'll be asking to join my church. You'll see.

vCash
    I like old Pete. But he was cooked by the time he went to the Yankees. Mets have already wrung every last inning out of that arm.

vCash
    Sure, you say that now. But in a few months you'll be asking to join my church. You'll see.
    Church of COF till he becomes the closer and then Church of Edgin?

vCash
    I see myself going to Family church....
    DMF on May 4th 2013:

vCash
    Church of COF till he becomes the closer and then Church of Edgin?
    We can't have a C of CoF. He has to be the CoP before there can be a C of E. At least that's how i see it.

I see myself going to Family church....
    Assuming that there will even be a C of E, we'll leave the light on for you.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast