Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

State of the Farm System, by Paul DePodesta

20 questions: What's state of Mets' farm?
    By Adam Rubin

The Mets’ farm system has improved in recent years, although Baseball America still recently ranked it in the lower half in the majors.

Regardless, it’s indisputable that the system has benefited from the trades of Carlos Beltran and R.A. Dickey, which combined to yield Zack Wheeler, Travis d’Arnaud, Noah Syndergaard and Wuilmer Becerra.

So what is the state of the farm?

“First, I think the system when we first arrived was underrated,” Paul DePodesta insisted. “It included current big leaguers like Dillon Gee, Ruben Tejada, Lucas Duda and Kirk Nieuwenhuis, among others. Our job is to just add as many talented players as we can each and every year, while graduating the more advanced players to the big leagues, and we're very happy with what we've been able to do both domestically and internationally over the past two years.

“We never get caught up in the rankings, because ultimately, it's about producing quality big leaguers. There are no rings awarded for the best ranking, and guys like Tejada and Gee were never ranked terribly high anyway.

“That said, we're very pleased with where our system is right now. Thanks to both our scouts and our development people, this is the most talented and deepest group of pitching prospects that I've been a part of in the past 20 years, and I've been fortunate to have been around some good ones. Our teams finished first in the league in ERA, WHIP and K/BB ratio -- a good trifecta -- in the Florida State League, the South Atlantic League, and the New York Penn League, and we did that with six-man rotations at each spot. Further, those staffs didn't include guys like Wheeler, Familia, Mejia, Harvey, etc. The best part, in my mind, is that our guys aren't just touch/feel guys who are old for their league and are good performers. Rather, these guys have stuff, command and performance. Of course, not all of them will make it, but we have enough of a mass to believe that some of them should.

“Admittedly, our position players are behind our pitchers -- our pitchers led all of minor league baseball in ERA -- but we think we added some key guys in last year's draft, and some of our international players continue making progress. There are some position players we're very excited about. But, collectively, it's not as deep as the pitching.

“All in all, more than a dozen of our players who haven't appeared in any top-10 list have been asked about this winter in major league trades, so other teams out there certainly like our depth. Then you add in the players we have acquired via trade, and we feel the system is close to reaching the level of being a true feeder system for the major league team.”

It is true that the new collective bargaining agreement has slowed the restocking of the system. The Mets originally aimed to go over slot in the draft and be more aggressive internationally, but the new rules that cap spending largely prevent that.

“Certainly the new CBA caused us to reevaluate the mechanics of what we do, but it didn't change our approach, which has been to find and acquire the best players possible, regardless of high school or college, domestic or international, or big-dollar or small-dollar demands,” DePodesta said. “We continue to focus on the talent. Signing a guy like German Rosario this year was a perfect example of that. We felt he was the best prospect on the board internationally, and we paid top dollar to acquire him ($1.7 million). Sure, we'd like to sign even more guys, but we're happy with what we were able to acquire this past year under the new restrictions.”

vCash
    I really hope the 2013 draft is a good one for the Mets.

vCash
    Got to love all the pitching depth...

It's a great asset (trade bait or otherwise) to have and the fact that we have so many guys at the lower levels performing well really excites me (knowing that certain guys who impress now might not pan out as they progress to the higher levels)

In a couple of years the Mets could still have a monster of a farm system and maybe the best in baseball on the pitching side of things.
    Last edited by metswon69; 01-21-2013 at 04:00 PM.

vCash
    The Mets originally aimed to go over slot in the draft and be more aggressive internationally, but the new rules that cap spending largely prevent that. -- Depodesta
    True statement?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    True statement?
    It depends on what he means by going over slot. The Mets spent $7 million I think in their uncapped draft and way less than that in their uncapped international signing time. So I'd say that's not really true. They knew they weren't going to spend on the major league team, so they should have thrown huge bucks (~$10+ million) at the draft and IFA.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Got to love all the pitching depth...

It's a great asset (trade bait or otherwise) to have and the fact that we have so many guys at the lower levels performing well really excites me (knowing that certain guys who impress now might not pan out as they progress to the higher levels)

In a couple of years the Mets could still have a monster of a farm system and maybe the best in baseball on the pitching side of things.
    Leading all three A leagues in ERA, WHIP and K/BB is a sign of greatness to come...best overall ERA in the minors....why was this not mentioned before? Within two years as the best of the low minors like Montero, Tapia, Goeddel, Fullmer and Syndergaard join Harvey, Niese, Wheeler, Gee, Parnell, Familia, Mejia, Edgin and Carson....that's 14 guys with great stuff to draw 11 along with new acquisitions to create a dominant staff from.
    Bob
    Met fan since 1969

vCash
    Mateo, Robles, Vazqez, Fuller,Leathersick, Matz and Morris figure into the picture as well. As Gee, Carson, and Mejia develop trade value they will be dealt to address other needs. The fans need to be a little patient. The interesting thing is how the Mets choose to develop Montero. His stuff, control and location is in fact MLB ready as a RP.

Most of the reports of Montero hitting 04-95 came early in the season, the reports of 92-93 mph came late in the season which raises the question of whether Montero can be a reliable SP. He might lack the arm strength to start. The same issue exists for Mateo.

vCash
    I do hope that the fanbase will be patient beacuse i think if some of the prospects continue to improve on their weaknesses and can come to the big leagues in a couple years to contribute to winning a world series i would gladly wait a couple years to see that happen.

vCash
    I won't speak for all Met fans, but for me I know the issue has never been patience. I have no problem waiting if we're rebuilding. My feathers get ruffled when GM's tell me things like "They're going to be major changes this off season" and then our biggest move is trading our ace. I get frustrated when the team tells me that they're trying to compete, then signs scrap heap players while trying to pass them on as major acquisitions. If the front office were real with their plans from day one, I would have complained a lot less this season. Don't lie to me, I have been a Met fan for a long time, I can weather the storm if you're real.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MLB2K10King View Post
    I won't speak for all Met fans, but for me I know the issue has never been patience. I have no problem waiting if we're rebuilding. My feathers get ruffled when GM's tell me things like "They're going to be major changes this off season" and then our biggest move is trading our ace. I get frustrated when the team tells me that they're trying to compete, then signs scrap heap players while trying to pass them on as major acquisitions. If the front office were real with their plans from day one, I would have complained a lot less this season. Don't lie to me, I have been a Met fan for a long time, I can weather the storm if you're real.
    Question: When did Alderson state there would be major changes?
    Answer: He did not.

Alderson doesn't make statements you can nail him on. He talks about "possibilities" not "commitments".

vCash
    Right, and the court of the fanbase doesn't require specifics to "nail" someone. This is an entertainment industry, not a criminal proceeding.

What the poster above is describing is a feeling many fans have about the way communication is handled by this organization. And communication is very important when you put out a losing product year after year.

Alderson can do what he wants and say what he wants. But don't judge fans for feeling less than enthusiastic with the way this organization has been run in general for the better part of the last few years.

We'll Leave a Light On For You

Believers: METMANYAK, FoC, Gotta, WrigheyesMVP, Mr. Koobs

vCash
    I don't know why people put their faith into what any FO says. And that is not just me saying that because I believe in Sandy Alderson's plan. There are thing inside and outside the team that can effect the day to day decisions of what this team wants to do.

Like Sandy could say there will probably be some changes in the OF. Now he may not be able to get the money to add someone or a trade can fall through for so many reasons. Yeah there would have been a change in the OF, but it just didn't happen.

However I will never believe that a GM is just sitting on his hands. I think there has been a effort to upgrade the OF, but between money, contract demands, and other teams asking prices we are stuck with what we have for the moment.

I am sure if Sandy really wanted Justin Upton he would be a Met tomorrow because we do have the pieces to get him. The asking price is just way to much for the position we are in right now.

vCash

Alderson doesn't make statements you can nail him on. He talks about "possibilities" not "commitments".
    He actually did say that, maybe the "Major" part was missing but he definitely said something along those lines. I remember because it was a thread in here. I'll try to find it when I get back from the gym

vCash
    Bleacher Report ranked the Mets farm System 10th

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...dition/page/22
    10. New York Mets
    Denny Medley-USA TODAY Sports
    Top 25: RHP Zack Wheeler, C Travis d’Arnaud

Top 50: RHP Noah Syndergaard

The Mets’ farm system recently enjoyed a huge jump in the rankings thanks to the acquisition of catcher Travis d’Arnaud and right-hander Noah Syndergaard from the Blue Jays. Even though they lack the overall depth of projectable talent relative to other highly regarded organizations, the Mets’ trio of top prospects (Wheeler, d’Arnaud and Syndergaard) rank among the best in the game.

vCash

This is what he did say:

http://metsblog.com/metsblog/alderso...ctive-players/
    This afternoon, Sandy Alderson was a guest on WFAN, during which he told host Mike Francesa, the roster will be much different next season, saying “We need an infusion of players, productive players.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast