Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    I won't deny that but I think the fact of contrition when she makes a factual error alone elevates her out of that circle of hell.
    I don't know, going off on a tangent about something that is based in non-fact is pretty bad, regardless of whether or not an apology comes out later. I mean, it's not like this is spur-of-the-moment, these things are surely discussed in producing her show. I would also say she has not apologized for every factual error she has ever made. Not even close.
    On Cam Newton:

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    So it's official.

This jerk off is going to be the first QB taken in the first round (or maybe the first 5) in the modern era to throw less than 300 passes at DI level. and he might go #1 overall.

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Nfl scouting is a joke.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Curtain View Post
    I was 18 in 1972. That would put you at 13.
    And I was 22 in 1972
    Here is the question of the day, does anyone think that wealthy people should pay a lower percentage of their income to taxes than middle class people? Don't argue tax brackets, just a simple question. Do you think someone earning 46 million dollars should pay a lower percentage of their income than say someone earning sixty thousand?

vCash
    I was but a twinkle in my 13 year old father's scrotum in 1972.
    Nobody ****s with the Gustav

5 GA / 4 G / 1 A
    Adopt a Packers \/ Davante Adams and Sammy Shields

Davante Adams - 17 Rec, 188 Yards, 2 TD

Sam Shields- 12 Tackles, 2 INTs, 6 PassD

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezekial View Post
    I was but a twinkle in my 13 year old father's scrotum in 1972.
    my dad was a toddler in 1972.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cabernetluver View Post
    And I was 22 in 1972
    And I've got two years on you.

How anyone with a straight face can compare Maddow with those extreme right wing, lying, scaremonger cretins previously mentioned, is totally beyond me. There simply is no comparison. I won't sidetrack the topic any further.

Kudos to you young man for showing independent thought and at least seeing through the worst of the male cattle excrement!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FlakeyFool View Post
    Rachel maddow is nothing like limbaugh,jones, hannity
    A personally don't think she's as purposefully intellectually dishonest as those other guys...but I don't really ever watch/listen to any of them any more so perhaps I am wrong. I was just trying to think of a liberal counterpart, and that's all I could come up with. Granted, I don't listen to anyone that falls into that potential category on other side of the spectrum. So I might just not be aware of the ones that do exist.
    I no longer care about anything here except for the Entertainment Forum, which sucks; the Music forum, which sucks; and the Magic forum, which does NOT suck.

Love y'all!

Except for all of y'all.

#FreePablo
    #FreeManRam
    #FreePablo

vCash
    I tried to comment on my own evolution, but I don't have the ability to be concise enough to make it worth the time.

I've been trying to type mine out...but it's tough. There's no landmark event that I can point to.

I think the two biggest influences were religion and where I've lived.

My political beliefs have lagged behind my religious beliefs; I think the latter has had a tremendous impact on the former. The Catholic college I went to. I was told that religion would never be forced on me nor would any religious activities ever be even close to mandatory. However, the two religion classes I took ("Faith & Atheism" and "Global and Cultural Religion") actually turned me more away from religion than anything else. The former was a tremendous class where we discussed both sides of various proofs for and against religion. The latter was just a crash course on the 10 most prominent global religions. As my religious beliefs grew stronger, my political interests started to evolve.

I spent most of my most impressionable years living in Ithaca, NY. Like most great college towns, it is pretty darn liberal. I was initially turned off by much of it, which is a big reason why I chose not to stay there and go to Cornell for college and fled for a bigger city, but even as much as I played Devil's advocate and loved being a contrarian, it certainly has impacted my beliefs. Again, it just took some time for me to learn to appreciate a lot of what I was surrounded by. I moved to Pittsburgh and again to a Catholic school and was immersed by a lot of people with very foreign beliefs...and more importantly those people were vocal. There weren't many vocal conservatives in HS. Hearing them, and hearing them constantly and loudly was the nail in the coffin. I realized how much I really didn't agree with a lot of their ideologies and world views. I realized how uncomfortable it made me. For the first time ever I became vocal myself, and almost proud. I never was proud to be anything in Ithaca...but I slowly became more sure of my convictions and beliefs. I started taking an interest in politics as well for really the first time as well. I think the clash in cultures was strong.

That's the cliffnotes version. There were no Imus, Hurricane Sandy, 47%ers moments that I'm aware of. It was all more of a gradual evolution sparked be few specific events and more of a learned philosophy.
    I no longer care about anything here except for the Entertainment Forum, which sucks; the Music forum, which sucks; and the Magic forum, which does NOT suck.

Love y'all!

Except for all of y'all.

#FreePablo
    #FreeManRam
    #FreePablo

vCash
    For whatever reason it seems like kids (18-25 ish) tend to vote more liberal, and then as you grow older you tend to become more republican. I really have no idea why this is, but it shows well in terms of the age and who you tend to vote for.

For example, Fox News Exit Poll:

Age 18-29: Obama 60% Romney: 37%
    Age 30-44: Obama: 52% Romney: 45%
    Age 45-64: Obama: 47% Romney: 51%
    Age 65+: Obama: 44% Romney: 56%

As you can see, Obama got 60% of the votes from 18-29 year olds but as you get older, the vote tended to shift towards the republican. Does anyone know why this is or what could lead to people changing their political belief as they get older?

vCash
    Although looking at more of the Fox News Exit Poll here is what it looks like by race

White:

Age 18-29: Obama: 44% Romney: 51%
    Age 30-44: Obama: 38% Romney: 59%
    Age 45-64: Obama: 38% Romney: 61%
    Age 65+: Obama: 39% Romney: 61%

You can still see the gradual shift towards Romney as it gets older. Almost 10% difference from Age 18-29 group to 65+ group.

Black 18-29: Obama: 91% Romney: 8%
    Black 30-44: Obama: 94% Romney: 5%
    Black 45-64: Obama: 93% Romney: 7%
    Black 65+: Obama: 93% Romney: 6%

Latino 18-29: Obama: 74% Romney: 23%
    Latino 30-44: Obama: 71% Romney: 28%
    Latino 45-64: Obama: 68% Romney: 31%
    Latino 65+: Obama: 65% Romney: 35%

You can see the same trend as white voters. The older you get, they tended to vote more republican.

Just thought this was pretty interesting to look at.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GoCrew5 View Post
    For whatever reason it seems like kids (18-25 ish) tend to vote more liberal, and then as you grow older you tend to become more republican. I really have no idea why this is, but it shows well in terms of the age and who you tend to vote for.

For example, Fox News Exit Poll:

Age 18-29: Obama 60% Romney: 37%
    Age 30-44: Obama: 52% Romney: 45%
    Age 45-64: Obama: 47% Romney: 51%
    Age 65+: Obama: 44% Romney: 56%

As you can see, Obama got 60% of the votes from 18-29 year olds but as you get older, the vote tended to shift towards the republican. Does anyone know why this is or what could lead to people changing their political belief as they get older?
    The thing I wonder, and I guess the problem I have with that, is all of those people are those ages now. That 60% of 18-29 year olds that voted for Obama now, are they going to be the other way in 2045? I have no idea, but I don't think you can simply take a snapshot like that and assume it to be a trend.
    Visit my Blog.

"Glad the GOP finally came out with an Obamacare alternative. Can't wait to see their alternative to the Iraq War." - @LOLGOP

vCash
    Yeah, I am looking at some of the results from 1996, 2004, and 2008 elections

1996 Clinton vs Dole

Age 65+: Clinton: 50% Dole: 44%

2004: Kerry vs Bush

Age 18-24: Kerry: 56% Bush: 43%
    Age 25-29: Kerry: 51% Bush: 48%
    Age 30-49: Kerry: 46% Bush: 53%
    Age 50-64: Kerry: 47% Bush: 52%
    Age 65+: Kerry: 47% Bush: 53%

2008: Obama vs McCain

Age 18-29: Obama: 66% McCain: 32%
    Age 30-44: Obama: 52% McCain: 46%
    Age 45-64: Obama: 50% McCain: 49%
    Age 65+: Obama: 45% McCain: 53%

The trend has really been noticed in the 2008 and 2012 elections. Heck, McCain got 53% of the votes in 2008 from 65+ while McCain only got 32% in the 18-29 range.

In the 2012 election, Romney got 56% of the votes in the 65+ range compared to only 37% in the 18-29 range.

I would say that this could be because the older people grew up in the Civil Rights era and some of them might have voted against Obama because he was black, but if you look at the 2004 election, it was pretty much the same thing (Bush got 53% of the votes in the 65+ range compared to only 43% in the 18-24 range)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by natepro View Post
    The thing I wonder, and I guess the problem I have with that, is all of those people are those ages now. That 60% of 18-29 year olds that voted for Obama now, are they going to be the other way in 2045? I have no idea, but I don't think you can simply take a snapshot like that and assume it to be a trend.
    I really can't see the shift maintaining. It use to be the Republican Party was more moderate but now you see less of that and that is what turned me off from voting for a republican and I fall into that mid thirty white male catergory who grew up in the Midwest.

Either way I see a moderate approach being the best way for republicans to reconnect with younger voters but that's not the trend I am seeing from them.

vCash
    Anyway, I've definitely had a political evolution. Or more like a political cambrian explosion, amirite?

Moving on.

Even before my religious shift, my politics were drifting towards the left. I spent a bit of a time as a libertarian, but I think that was mostly just a transitional phase that didn't bug my conscious too much. I started out really conservative, though, thanks to my parents. Pro-life, pro death penalty, pro gun, young earth creationist, the whole thing. My first Presidential election was in 2000, and so I voted for W twice.

I also used to listen to Glenn Beck pretty regularly, before he became conductor on the train to crazytown. Before 9/11, his show was much more entertainment, less conspiracy theory end-of-the-world ravings. I remember people complaining about the turn his show was taking in the mid- to late-2000's, longtime listeners that missed the absurd things he did like More-On Trivia and such. They slowly became afterthoughts, and I'd be surprised if he even still does them at this point.

After my religious conversion (un-conversion?), it was pretty much a rapid-fire change. I've reversed on almost all positions I once held, and am about as far left as it gets. Last time we did the political compass thing, I think there were only one or two people buried as far in the bottom left corner as I was.

And to celebrate that fact, I moved to Georgia, a state only slightly less red than Mississippi! I'd have to be a non-white woman on top of everything else to feel more out of place here.
    Visit my Blog.

"Glad the GOP finally came out with an Obamacare alternative. Can't wait to see their alternative to the Iraq War." - @LOLGOP

vCash
    Your parents sound like great people.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sota4Ever View Post
    Your parents sound like great people.
    They had their moments.

My dad was a great person. My mom couldn't defend one of her positions if she had to. She is the definition of the "I believe it because I believe it" type of person. You could show her she's wrong, and she'd fall back to, "Well, that's just what I believe."
    Visit my Blog.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast