Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Lightbulb A Commentary On My Political Evolution

My politics have evolved heavily over the years, but nowhere as much as it has for the last few months. I would say that when I was young, I was very liberal. I was vehemently anti-Bush. I was opposed to the Iraq War and I was angered by the government response to Hurricane Katrina. This was mainly because I was in a house with an extremely politically (but not socially) liberal pair of parents. However, when I was younger, I was not all that concerned with politics or the world around me.

I would say that a turning point in my political leanings came as a result of the Imus situation. I felt his comments may have been inappropriate, but that he had the right to free speech (I have never been an Imus listener). The passionate call for his firing, particularly from Al Sharpton, offended me. During that situation, I listened to the shows that defended Imus: shows like the Sean Hannity Radio Show.

The more I listened to those types of shows, I more conservative and Republican in nature I became. I eventually became conservative and Republican in every issue imaginable, from the healthcare issue to taxes. I also became pro-Bush in nature. I practically began to stop utilizing any source that disagreed with my world view, whether it was print, online or on broadcast airwaves. However, in spite of this, I would say that I have never believed in conspiracy theories. The birther issue, to the best of my memory, was never supported on the shows I listened to and I rejected Donald Trump’s call for Obama to release his birth certificate.

I would say the process that led to my current political leanings begun in June 2012, during the Fast and Furious controversy. On the Wednesday prior to the health care ruling, I happened to have Martin Bashir on my television and he mentioned an online magazine article which shattered all commonly held public beliefs about the situation. I spent well over an hour carefully reading the article and it was incredible informative and well written. The next day, after the health care ruling, my mom called me into her bedroom and passionately told me that I should be supportive of Obama and that I should reject Republican thinking.

In July, I learned about the Michele Bachmann controversy, the situation in which she claimed that the government was infiltrated by people with a Muslim Brotherhood-like mindset and claimed that Huma Abedin, an aide to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, was a part of it, in spite of the fact that she is married to Anthony Weiner, a prominent Jewish figure. I rejected the actions of Bachmann and felt they were offensive. I also rejected the conservative talk show hosts who supported her. In the middle of that same summer, I registered for my state ID and I also registered to vote. I registered as an independent.

In August and September, I saw the two conventions side by side. Objectively speaking, I felt the Democratic National Convention was powerful in nature and the speeches given were more resonating in nature than those given at the Republican National Convention. I felt that Republican National Convention was lacking the life and passion that the Democratic National Convention had and I think the Clint Eastwood speech was perhaps the lowest moment of that convention.

In September, the audio of Mitt Romney talking about the so-called “47%” was released and I was deeply offended by what Romney said. I felt his characterization of such a wide swath as takers was inappropriate and not even remotely accurate.

Like most people in my locale, I was impacted Hurricane Sandy and I respected how President Obama handled the situation. In this time period, I also looked at the President’s Accomplishments. He killed Osama Bin Laden and decimated Al-Qaeda. The economy showed major signs of improvement and unemployment has decreased. The health care bill gave millions of Americans insurance. I constantly stressed over who to vote for until midday on Election Day.

I went to my local voting booth and voted for President Obama. I felt that he deserved the chance to finish the job. I felt that Romney was not authentic in terms of his political leanings. I may not always agree with President Obama, but I respect that he is authentic and passionate in terms of his political leanings.

In this time period, I have grown to become offended by Republican actions. I felt that Susan Rice was treated inappropriately by Republicans in terms their view of her handing of the Benghazi situation. I did not feel there was a cover-up in the Benghazi situation. President Obama declared it was an attack the day after and the CIA and other military officials were unable to reach the compound in time. I felt that it was also inappropriate how some Republicans tried to suppress individuals whom they disagreed with from voting in the election.

I was also offended by the Republican rejection of a human-rights treaty for the disabled, in spite of support by Bob Dole, a long-time and major leader in the history of Republican Party. I also opposed to the Republican intransigence on the debt ceiling issue, in spite of the fact defaulting on our debt would be ruinous and in spite of the fact that Republicans were more than willing to raise the debt ceiling under President Bush. I also feel that we need stronger gun control and this has been influenced by numerous events, most notably the shooting in Connecticut.

I would say that the Republican Party of today is completely lost and needs to change its agenda if it wants to remain politically viable in this country. It needs to reject radicalism and those who promote it.

vCash
    Thanks for sharing. Not sure how old you are but I definitely understand the process of going through a political evolution.

vCash
    Thanks for sharing.

It's amazing how Hannity, Limbaugh, Beck, Alex Jones and their liberal radio counterparts like Rachel Maddow can so easily shape people's opinions. It seems like you had a relatively quick rejection towards the beliefs you also quickly developed, but it seems that you did that on your own...based on your own observation, opinions and thought. I'd imagine where you are today is a bit more indicative of your actual beliefs than where you were after the Imus/Hannity moment of your life.

Most of us start off like our parents - be it religion, politics, or whatever. Sometimes it's the right fit, sometimes it isn't. I just cringe when people never have a shot to figure things out on their own, and can't even explain why they think how they do. It sounds like you figured it out, at least at this point in time, on your own. So props.

My evolution was far more gradual than yours. I'm sure you will continue to fine tune your beliefs as well.

vCash
    Rachel maddow is nothing like limbaugh,jones, hannity

vCash
    I am glad to see that you are aware of what you think with regard to politics and appear willing to adapt to new information as you become aware of it. The thing that worries me more than someone who disagrees with me politically is someone who won't change their mind when presented with new evidence. You can be plenty rational and sane and still come to a completely different conclusion than I do. Many of the conservative posters on this forum prove that on a daily basis. But I have little patience for someone who, even if they agree with me, won't open themselves up to the possibility that they could be wrong. All of the people that were mentioned (Limbaugh, Hannity, and Sharpton) are examples of these kinds of knuckleheads. They are firmly entrenched in their belief and won't change despite changing evidence.

We talk somewhat frequently about politics in and out of the politics forum and I don't do that with people that irritate me and aren't willing to be challenged. Always keep an open mind and you will come to the right conclusion.
    Member of the Owlluminati!

vCash
    You evolve from one party to the other, then eventually realize that what we have is basically one-party rule, under the guise of "choice" and two parties.

vCash
    I went through a change somewhat similar to yours politically.

Both my parents are hard-core conservatives, as are 95% of the people where I live. I never really had an interest in politics until last year, but I had always just called myself Republican because of my parents. I honestly had no clue what the difference between the two parties was before last year but hey, I'm only 14. I started gaining interest in politics last year because it was an election year. After looking at both parties' agendas, I really didn't support what the Republican party was standing for.

So, I started declaring myself a liberal (not that it really matters what I declare myself as at this age). I'm one of ~5 liberals in my school, but really the only one who knows two ***** about politics and supports a party for reasons rather than "my parents do".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FlakeyFool View Post
    Rachel maddow is nothing like limbaugh,jones, hannity
    You're right; She's worse.

Quote Originally Posted by The Schmooze View Post
    You evolve from one party to the other, then eventually realize that what we have is basically one-party rule, under the guise of "choice" and two parties.
    More or less.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by homestarunner93 View Post
    You're right; She's worse.
    How so? She may be in the same business but she is not nearly as bad as Hannity or Limbaugh. At least when she makes a mistake she corrects it. I have only seen Hannity issue a correction once and that was when Jon Stewart busted him for stealing video footage from Glenn Beck's rally and it was completely obvious that he did it to cover up the flop of his rally.

I don't say this because I tend to agree with Maddow but because she is not in the same class as Hannity or Limbaugh or Sharpton.

vCash
    Interesting story. I grew up in rural western Pennsylvania about 45 minutes outside Pittsburgh. My whole family is conservative. When I was growing up, the country was run by a liberal administration, most notably Johnson. Johnson's Vietnam War was so unpopular that he didn't bother running again, and that pretty much sealed my conservative views. My first election that I voted in was 1972, I voted for Nixon, and he won big. Watergate aside he was a decent President. (Not defending his actions at all) After that was the Carter disaster, but I was already firm in my viewpoints for him to really have made a difference. I was as conservative as it got for the longest time. Up until Bush. Bush was a moron and I can't believe he got re-elected. 2004 was the first time ever I had voted for a Democrat for President. In fact, the first time I had not voted for the GOP candidate for President, ever. The Tea Party formed and has taken this party into a very extreme, partisan wasteland. I did vote for McCain and Romney, because they were not part of the extremists, but gone are the days of Reagan and more reasonable Republicans that I had supported for so long.

Damn you Bush and damn you Tea Party.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Curtain View Post
    Interesting story. I grew up in rural western Pennsylvania about 45 minutes outside Pittsburgh. My whole family is conservative. When I was growing up, the country was run by a liberal administration, most notably Johnson. Johnson's Vietnam War was so unpopular that he didn't bother running again, and that pretty much sealed my conservative views. My first election that I voted in was 1972, I voted for Nixon, and he won big. Watergate aside he was a decent President. (Not defending his actions at all) After that was the Carter disaster, but I was already firm in my viewpoints for him to really have made a difference. I was as conservative as it got for the longest time. Up until Bush. Bush was a moron and I can't believe he got re-elected. 2004 was the first time ever I had voted for a Democrat for President. In fact, the first time I had not voted for the GOP candidate for President, ever. The Tea Party formed and has taken this party into a very extreme, partisan wasteland. I did vote for McCain and Romney, because they were not part of the extremists, but gone are the days of Reagan and more reasonable Republicans that I had supported for so long.

Damn you Bush and damn you Tea Party.
    Jesus you're at least 45 years older than me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    How so? She may be in the same business but she is not nearly as bad as Hannity or Limbaugh. At least when she makes a mistake she corrects it. I have only seen Hannity issue a correction once and that was when Jon Stewart busted him for stealing video footage from Glenn Beck's rally and it was completely obvious that he did it to cover up the flop of his rally.

I don't say this because I tend to agree with Maddow but because she is not in the same class as Hannity or Limbaugh or Sharpton.
    Because I think Maddow is a complete *** that twists things to fit her world view, just like the others listed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fly View Post
    Jesus you're at least 45 years older than me.
    I was 18 in 1972. That would put you at 13.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Curtain View Post
    I was 18 in 1972. That would put you at 13.
    I'm 14, I wasn't too far off.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by homestarunner93 View Post
    Because I think Maddow is a complete *** that twists things to fit her world view, just like the others listed.
    I won't deny that but I think the fact of contrition when she makes a factual error alone elevates her out of that circle of hell.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast