Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 9 of 54 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lobster View Post
    I've been looking at the 2013 fa's and I picked out a few canditates. Ed Reed and Dwight Freeney are 2 players who might be looking at 1 more kick at the can that we can get without killing our cap. At the safety position there are 2 big named guys that would cost a Tonne, Jarius Byrd and Dashon Goldson. Probably can't fit a huge cap hit like this but it would fill a massive need. On the cheap, Glenn Dorsey might be a guy that if he played next to Vince in the 4-3 might excel. Just some thoughts.
    IMO I would rather add a piece on D like Byrd or retain Talib than resign Welker.
    Freeney? Too small, too old, too expensive.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    Freeney? Too small, too old, too expensive.
    He's an inch shorter than Ninko and a year older than Wilfork. I didn't say break the bank.
    Eat Lobster

vCash
    He's an inch shorter than Ninko and a year older than Wilfork. I didn't say break the bank.
    Freeney will be 33 in 2 weeks.

Nink is 2 inches taller and almost 4 years younger, he also outplayed Freeney this year.

Wilfork is 15 months younger, and interior DL's last a lot longer than DE's that chase QB's.

Freeney's last great year was 2009.

I think we have a good mix of DE's, we need another DT that can bring pressure up the middle a lot more than an aging DE. Jones in his 2nd year past his injury would automatically be better than Freeney too. Cunningham, Francis...

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

vCash
    Freeney will be 33 in 2 weeks.

Nink is 2 inches taller and almost 4 years younger, he also outplayed Freeney this year.

Wilfork is 15 months younger, and interior DL's last a lot longer than DE's that chase QB's.

Freeney's last great year was 2009.

I think we have a good mix of DE's, we need another DT that can bring pressure up the middle a lot more than an aging DE. Jones in his 2nd year past his injury would automatically be better than Freeney too. Cunningham, Francis...
    I'm not sure Jones can be counted on and the place I looked had Ninko 1 inch taller, anyway I guess Freeny is a no lol.
    Eat Lobster

vCash
    I'm not sure Jones can be counted on and the place I looked had Ninko 1 inch taller, anyway I guess Freeny is a no lol.
    If Jones can be counted on? Jones had 6 sacks in his first 8 games, got hurt and had 0 sacks in the final 10 games of the season (missing 3 of them). I don't see anything to worry about outside of 100% recovery from the injury.

We've got Jones, Nink, Cunningham, Francis, Bequette, perhaps Scott as well. So we're going to pump up our depth at a position that we already have a bunch of depth at (at good prices) to add an old man by NFL standards, but not add a real top 5 NFL stud? Thankfully BB is in charge.
    Last edited by bagwell368; 02-04-2013 at 06:57 AM.

vCash
    If Jones can be counted on? Jones had 6 sacks in his first 8 games, got hurt and had 0 sacks in the final 10 games of the season (missing 3 of them). I don't see anything to worry about outside of 100% recovery from the injury.

We've got Jones, Nink, Cunningham, Francis, Bequette, perhaps Scott as well. So we're going to pump up our depth at a position that we already have a bunch of depth at (at good prices) to add an old man by NFL standards, but not add a real top 5 NFL stud? Thankfully BB is in charge.
    Jones at Syracuse and so far in the NFL has always been hurt, there is nothing saying that is going to change. All those players you mentioned sure had Flacco running for his life........
    Last edited by lobster; 02-04-2013 at 10:08 AM. Reason: remove insult
    Eat Lobster

vCash
    Jones at Syracuse and so far in the NFL has always been hurt, there is nothing saying that is going to change. All those players you mentioned sure had Flacco running for his life........
    Jones played in 31 games at Syracuse as a Soph/Jr/Sr. Doesn't seem like he had much trouble with injuries in college.

Baltimore changed the player alignment on the OL and the blocking schemes late in the season, nobody got to Flacco.

You want to bring in a prime pass rusher with some years in front of him? Fine, Freeney isn't that guy, he'd just be another guy. For $2M a year, maybe. Over $5M? Can't see it.

vCash
    The reason Flacco had time wasn't because our DE's weren't doing their jobs, it was because our interior pass rush was non-existent. Wilfork can't be expected to push the pocket back on his own forever and unfortunately Kyle Love doesn't seem like he's going to be able to help consistently in that regard. Flacco had plenty of room to step into throws, Freeney won't help eliminate that. With a better interior pass rush, Jones and Ninko's sack totals will go up because they have been doing their job with or without the help of an interior rush.

To your point about Jones' health, this is true, it is a legitimate concern and something worth keeping an eye on but I don't like to make assumptions based on very small sample sizes. If Freeney wanted to come here in the same role that Trevor Scott had this past year as a depth piece and situational rusher on short money, I'd be all for it. I don't think Freeney wants to try to win a championship as a backup though, I would imagine he wants to be a starter since he already has a ring.

Patriots Forum Hall of Fame Class of 2013
    -mooz

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mooz View Post
    The reason Flacco had time wasn't because our DE's weren't doing their jobs, it was because our interior pass rush was non-existent. Wilfork can't be expected to push the pocket back on his own forever and unfortunately Kyle Love doesn't seem like he's going to be able to help consistently in that regard.
    In particular since Love left the game in the first quarter with an injury. He's a great rotation DT, but they need a true #2 next to Wilfork - correct.

vCash
    Jones is a great all around DE. He should be able to consistently put up around 10 sacks a year and play the run well. He's not that quick first step guy. That isn't him. I think a speed rusher off the edge in sub packages to play opposite of Jones or even force him inside in that hybrid DE/DT role (I think he'd be great at it). More pass rush never hurts. Freeney on a 1 year deal I think could work in that role, but I expect he'll get more.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Haha View Post
    What I feel right now is like the satisfaction you feel when a highly judgmental, moralistic televangelist gets caught screwing a male hooker.
    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Trill Team

vCash
    Anquan boldin may get released. Anybody want him on the patriots. The patriots almost traded for him a few years ago.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yankeefan54 View Post
    Anquan boldin may get released. Anybody want him on the patriots. The patriots almost traded for him a few years ago.
    After the way he played in the playoffs, he'd be worth considering if the price was reasonable. I have a feeling it won't be though. I also don't know that he has a place as a need in our offense either. He's a very good possession receiver but he's not big enough to justify an upgrade on Aaron Hernandez outside the numbers where it would force Hernandez back inside in my mind.

The way I'm looking at our receiving core for next year is Hernandez moving outside the numbers for most of his snaps and seeing a good percentage at the slot and some on the line as well. What I'd really like to see is Ballard playing the second traditional TE spot opposite Gronk. If we could get a big possession receiver to play outside the numbers though, I would have no problem with Hernandez playing on the line and in the slot for almost all of his snaps. Gronk and Hernandez should lead the team in targets next year with 3rd likely being Lloyd. This assumes we let Welker walk and save the money we're paying him for Talib and Vollmer.

Patriots Forum Hall of Fame Class of 2013
    -mooz

vCash
    Posted this in the Randy Moss thread as well.

After last nights performance from Moss I retract any interest i showed previously. He quit on a number of plays that I saw. Lazy, Lazy, Lazy on the biggest stage. We need a big physical WR. Those win games this time of year (Anquan Boldin) Who will likely be out of Balt. Ed Reed and Boldin would be a damn good offseason for us nevermind what we get out of the draft.
    Kaleb Tarczewski Watch 2013
    FG%: 54.9 Pts: 10.0 Reb: 6.5 Blk: 1.0

Florida Gators. Arizona Wildcats. New England Patriots. Boston Bruins. Boston Celtics. Boston Red Sox. #14 Tony Stewart. #42 Kyle Larson

Follow me on Twitter @derrike
    2013 PSD Patriots Forum Fantasy Football Champion

vCash
    Ed Reed isnt the only one who admires Bill Belichick. Dashon Goldson had some nice words.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/patri...fans_belichick

Goldson could be another option for the Patriots, who were inconsistent in the back of the secondary, even after Devin McCourty shifted from corner to safety. Goldson visited with the Patriots in 2011 and admitted there was real interest in signing, though he wasn’t overwhelmed with a deal and returned to the 49ers on a modest one-year, $2 million contract.

“I really thought highly of it,” Goldson said. “I was up in my hotel late at night talking to my agent going back and forth, and I just made the decision and stuck with it.”

When pressed for more specifics, Goldson said, “I just think it was a better situation for me to stay in San Francisco. It was based on what was going on over there, how I felt. I still felt I had something to prove. Boston had their stuff intact already, and I just felt the situation would have been different if I had gotten there. I think I made a good decision on staying here and making the best out of it.”

Goldson looked at a Patriots roster that included safeties Patrick Chung, James Sanders and Brandon Meriweather, and knew there would be greater competition for playing time. So he stuck with the 49ers, who drafted him in 2007, and made the Pro Bowl the last two years and earned an All-Pro nod this season.

“My football team I was on was a great football team,” Goldson said. “The mindset, we were on a building stage, and I want to be a part of that. We had made so many strides, especially for me being there early in 2007. We had made so many strides that we got to the point to where we could get the team to this point.”

Goldson would be the 49ers’ highest-priority free agent, so they could retain him with the franchise tag for the second consecutive season if negotiations don’t materialize in the next few weeks. He even said yesterday he believed he would be back for a seventh season with the Niners.

But Goldson has some good history with Belichick and relished the chance to meet him two summers ago. He could be the Patriots’ X-factor if the 49ers don’t secure him quickly enough.

“Bill is a good guy,” Goldson said. “We sat down, talked football. He stressed how he wanted me there and let me know what it was going to take. My hat is off to him.”
    Here was the part about Ed Reed and BB
    There’s one reason why Ed Reed wears a cut-off sweatshirt around the Ravens’ facility.

It’s Bill Belichick.

And there is one head coach outside of the 49ers who has drawn an immense amount of respect from Dashon Goldson.

It’s Bill Belichick.

The Patriots’ answer at safety could very well be playing Sunday night in Super Bowl XLVII, as Reed and Goldson will be unrestricted free agents this offseason. Surely, it won’t be easy for anyone to pry Reed or Goldson from the only teams they’ve ever known, particularly when each organization is performing at such a high level.

But the Patriots have a heck of a recruiting tool. The mutual respect between Belichick and Reed has been well-known since the Pro Bowl at the conclusion of the 2006 season. They can’t help but glow over one another, and Reed was asked yesterday if he could see himself playing for Belichick.

“Yeah, oh yeah, man, I could definitely play for coach Belichick,” Reed told the Herald. “He is a great coach. I’m sure he can help me to expand my football knowledge even more as a player and as a coach, so if I’m ever able to be around him, just like I was at the Pro Bowl, it’s huge.

“It’s the reason why I wear my sweater cut off a little bit. He’s the first guy I saw like, ‘That’s cool.’ You know, that’s cool. He cuts those sweater sleeves, and he’ll be comfortable. So there’s a reason why. Most people will tell you around the facility that’s how I look. It’s just a blessing to even have met, to know coach Belichick.”

The biggest hindrance would be Reed’s willingness, or lack thereof, to leave the Ravens after 11 seasons. He’ll be the unquestioned face of the defense after linebacker Ray Lewis retires, and his legacy will be on the line, regardless of Sunday’s outcome. The Ravens could also place the franchise tag on Reed, but with quarterback Joe Flacco and several other key starters hitting free agency, it’s no certainty they would tag Reed.
    Kaleb Tarczewski Watch 2013
    FG%: 54.9 Pts: 10.0 Reb: 6.5 Blk: 1.0

Florida Gators. Arizona Wildcats. New England Patriots. Boston Bruins. Boston Celtics. Boston Red Sox. #14 Tony Stewart. #42 Kyle Larson

Follow me on Twitter @derrike
    2013 PSD Patriots Forum Fantasy Football Champion

vCash
    Gronk is an idiot but I love him (antics wise and football wise)

Page 9 of 54 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast