Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Marc Gasol on pace for rare record

Hack-a-Shaq. … Dwight Howard: Clang! … Wilt Chamberlain trying underhanded attempts, failing, then planting himself two feet behind the line to casually flip up free throws, his face a mix of disdain and embarrassment.

Basketball, like most endeavors, has its share of stereotypes. And those that hang over this sport – white men can’t jump, Euros play soft, the last five minutes of an NBA game are all that matter – are like most in that they often contain some measure of truth but fail as generalizations.

So it is with the “big men are lousy free throw shooters” assumption. Many big men – Shaquille O’Neal, Howard, Chamberlain, Tim Duncan for vast chunks of his career – are or have been.

But then there is Marc Gasol, who is anything but. The Memphis center, in fact, is accurate enough from the foul line that he has a shot at making NBA history this season. He could become the first player to finish in the top 10 in both blocked shots and free-throw percentage.

It’s a weird combo on the order of the Olympics’ biathlon – skiing and shooting – but it is perfectly legit in Gasol’s case. As of Sunday morning, the 27-year-old from Barcelona ranked 10th in blocks (1.85) and 11th in free-throw percentage (.873).

He dipped a little in both Saturday night in Chicago after swatting just one Bulls shot and missing three of his eight free throws. But then, the Grizzlies did win, with Gasol scoring eight points and grabbing three rebounds in the fourth quarter and overtime.

With 2:01 left in regulation, tied at 72-72, Gasol missed twice. That enabled the Bulls to grab a short-lived lead. But the big guy was back there 54 seconds later, and fans at United Center were disappointed when he snapped back to his accurate ways. ”The first set, I was thinking to myself, ‘What the hell?’ ” Gasol said. “But I got another chance and made both. Got back to normal.”

Gasol said his work at the line hasn’t fit the cliché of thousands of free throws in an otherwise empty gym. “It’s all in your head, really,” he said. “Concentration, keep the rhythm and just follow through. Keep your routine.

“My first three or four years, I was around the 70s, 75 [percent]. I never liked that. I always thought I had great hands, great touch, so I guess as you get older, you concentrate a little better.”

Even if Gasol doesn’t crack the top 10 in both categories – he was fifth last season in blocks – he could become only the third 7-footer in NBA history to shoot at least 88 percent from the foul line.

The others? Dallas’ Dirk Nowitzki has done it seven times and Jack Sikma, who did it three times in his final four seasons with Milwaukee. Sikma hit 84.9 percent of his free throws over 14 seasons.

Gasol’s brother Pau is no slacker among the 7-footers, making 75.2 percent overall with a high of 82.3 in 2010-11.

Said Marc Gasol: “I’m not looking to any stats or anything. I’m just trying to play the game the way I see it and help my team win. It sounds like a cop-out but it’s the honest truth.”

Thwarts any Maul-a-Marc brainstorms, too.
    http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2013/0...or-rare-combo/

vCash
    He's only averaging 13 ppg though so historically it doesn't mean much. We all know dude has a great touch .

vCash
    He is a consummate team player as well.
    Marc also must be up there in assists for a big man
    Last edited by mzgrizz; 01-20-2013 at 09:55 PM.
    "You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometime, you might find, you get what you need"

COME ON ,MEMPHIS !!!! KEEP CALM,PLAY HARD AND CARRY ON !!!

vCash
    Surprised Yao Ming never did this.

vCash
    He's a very talented center with a unique skill set. One of the best centers in the game today and one of the bigger pieces on the Memphis Grizzlies playoff caliber team.
    http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/oscar-taveras
    ~ Oscar Taveras ~ The next Phenom

vCash
    Surprised Yao Ming didn't... But that's because people were shooting some damn good FT%'s that year (2009)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mzgrizz View Post
    He is a consummate team player as well.
    Marc also must be up there in assists for a big man
    For sure. Probably #1 for centers. Maybe Noah's close, but I'm too lazy to look.

Love Marc's game.

vCash
    Is he related to Paul?

The Cult of Gattis

vCash
    No, he's not related to Chris Paul or Paul George but he IS Pau Gasol's younger brother smh
    "You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometime, you might find, you get what you need"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mzgrizz View Post
    No, he's not related to Chris Paul or Paul George but he IS Pau Gasol's younger brother smh
    Pau?

I thought he was Adrias older brother.

]

vCash
    Best center in the game when healthy tbh.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellcrooner View Post
    Pau?

Well, he IS that too

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellcrooner View Post
    Pau?

what's his game/potential like? he any good?

vCash
    He's really a neat guy
    Follow him on FB
    He posts lots of pictures of his routine life

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddler The Gr8 View Post
    what's his game/potential like? he any good?
    Some say he may yet be the best
    Still very raw
    He's in college somewhere out in Cali as a walk on

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast