Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 213
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Beacon, Ny.
    Posts
    1,845
    vCash
    1500
    At least the trend is upward in terms of this team rebuilding.. A frontline rotation of possibly Wheeler, Harvey, and Niese could be phenomenal. With the other arms such as Syndergaard, Fulmer, etc. in the wings.. This rotation could be very strong, and that is without adding pieces through Free Agency.

    To go with the rotation, a core of hitters Wright, Ike, and TdA is a solid foundation. Along with solid play from Tejada and Murphy and this lineup is almost there. Add 1-2 impact OF bats and this team can do special things moving forward.
    #oneatatime

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Beacon, Ny.
    Posts
    1,845
    vCash
    1500
    2014 Opening Day Roster

    Harvey, Niese, Wheeler, Gee, ?*

    ?*, Tejada, Wright, Ike, TdA, ?*, Murphy, ?*

    Meijia, Familia, Edgin, Carson, Parnell, ?*

    ... Seems like a solid team to hope Wilpon and SA can sign a name or two.
    Elsbury/Pence/Hart, just one would help solidfy this team in the OF.
    .. and if one of Duda/Kirk/Cowgil/Brown/MDD become a decent MLB player then this team in 2014 will compete
    #oneatatime

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cool Ranch, NM
    Posts
    18,433
    vCash
    1500
    Lol...relax everyone.

    Lets just take things one step at a time.

    Hopefully the young guys like Harvey, Wheeler, and d'Arnaud make an impact and play well in the big leagues.

    Hopefully Ike has a breakout season.

    Hopefully Niese follows up with another solid season.

    Hopefully we find something decent in the OF going forward.

    Right now its all about 2013. The offseason is coming to an end soon and its beginning to smell like spring. Its time to switch gears. There are some things we'd all like to see (things I listed above), and of course competing would be nice to see as well.

    But the time to be concerned about 2014 and beyond is coming to a brief pause.

    Maybe we should all try to take some enjoyment out of watching the process unfold...and be patient enough to understand what is attainable in the 2013 season rather than worrying about the 5-10 year forecast for this team.

    Just another way to look at things.

    I would like to see winning occur as much as the next guy, but a part of me also enjoys the prospect of watching these young players begin their journey together...as a team.
    Last edited by Wrigheyes4MVP; 01-21-2013 at 05:42 AM.
    DUDA


    Quote Originally Posted by VendettaRed07 View Post
    noah is gonna be a beast man.

    with him and harvey, its like were gonna have Goku and Vegetta in the same rotation

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, 1985.
    Posts
    7,792
    vCash
    1500
    Great post, people were talking about 2014, it won't be long before they start talking about 2015 - I Guarantee that.

    The rebuild that never ends...

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    30,894
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyroos View Post
    Hey guys, first time posting. Love this site. I think we are on the right track. It's just not getting done as fast as we like. Been a life long Mets fan since the 60's..So I know about losing teams
    Welcome aboard fellow old timer and fellow Long Islander!
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    30,894
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by wdwyer View Post
    I have noticed a very disturbing trend. Mostly from those who believe in the rebuild process but still believe that there is some magic date this team will be ready by. For the past few years the date has been the 2014 season. When certain money come off the books. Now the past few weeks has brought with it a new date of 2015.

    This is a rebuild people. A rebuild that began July of 2010. Not 1986, not the mid-90's...2010. For 2 1/2 years this team has been run on the budget it has been given, and has been reduced each year. A rebuild will do this, as it's purpose is to get rid of large contracts, aging players, and those who have not performed. All for the sake of finding cheap, young, future controllable, MLB ready players to create a new core. So far the Mets have young players in place, and continue to do so, as the new core has not been found yet. Guys like Ike, Murphy, Tejada, Duda, Kirk, Baxter, Niese, Gee...plus, do not have a solidified spot, and should be judged by now as to whether they should be kept. New names this season like Cowgill, Valdespin, and most of the SP names like Harvey, Mejia, Hefner, McHugh, etc...are names that will begin to be judged this season.

    This is how a rebuild really should work. Generally you want to see some progress 3-5 years into it. You want a direction...even if it is part of a core...you want something. Well it guarantees NOTHING. There is no date to go by. No expiration. No expectation date.

    In fact there is an equal percentage that a rebuild doesn't work, and has to be done over. This was the sticking point that has been my fear this NY Market couldn't handle. By far we know there is zero patience in the area. Sure we have waited for a long time...but we have no patience. See if we did, we would accept what the Mets have been trying to do, and watch with anticipation as to what this new core would be. No by the looks of most of the comments here, we can't wait to go back to retooling. To bring in the biggest FA name every year. To hope to be contenders...instantly.

    It's too late. The rebuild is underway. I simply just do not want to see any abnormal expectations. Whether you believe in impatience...or believe there is some magical date a switch will be turned on (like 2014 or 2015). It won't happen.
    This is a very naive and myopic view of what the Mets are doing. A rebuild takes place on many levels: Trading older, expensive talent for younger talent; trading surplus position players to fill a need at another position; allowing youngsters a chance to learn on the major league level, and signing strategic free agents.

    The only thing the Mets have done in the Alderson era is to trade out high salaried All Stars for top prospects while promoting minor leaguers of dubious ability.

    What you call rebuilding looks suspiciously like operating a team on the cheap. Maybe I'll think otherwise when I start to see them acquire players for purposes of improving the win total instead of the bottom line.

    To give credit where it's due, what Sandy has done he's done well. I doubt few other executives in baseball could have gotten such returns for Beltran and Dickey.

    But he's had two contradictions. He's been trading off expensive players but he settled for draft picks for Reyes. Then he broke the bank to re-sign Wright.

    If the Mets weren't overly obsessed with their bottom line, they could have held on to Reyes and been much closer to turning the team around than they are now. And if they were totally obsessed with the bottom line, David Wright would be gone too.

    I don't want to rehash all the musings about why it was strategically sound to make those moves. I've heard them already. The problem is that these "strategic" moves can be equally attributed to non-strategic motives which puts us back to square one.

    In a nutshell, I'll need to see the Mets do something other than sign bargain basement minor leaguers and exchange all stars for prospects before I can be convinced they're rebuilding into legitimate multi-year contenders.

    Until then, all I see is a team operating on the cheap charging me premium ticket prices.
    Last edited by fanofclendennon; 01-21-2013 at 08:31 AM.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    50
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Daaaarryyl View Post
    Welcome! No need to say when you started watching the Mets to say you've seen a lot of losing though.

    For instance-

    I've been a life long fan since the early 80's and know about losing teams.

    My younger brother's been a fan since the early 90's and knows about losing teams.

    My niece has been a big fan the past 5-6 years and knows about losing teams.

    See? :cry:
    ME BAD!!!!

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    50
    vCash
    1500
    Thanks fan of clendennon!! The old timer part hurt though..lol

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    28,971
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyroos View Post
    Hey guys, first time posting. Love this site. I think we are on the right track. It's just not getting done as fast as we like. Been a life long Mets fan since the 60's..So I know about losing teams
    Welcome aboard.

    Rebuilding is never as quick as you would like, however with Harvey and Wheeler, the rotation has a nice foundation to build upon.

    With Syndergaard having a chance to be a late season 2014 call up, it's solidifies a rotation and changes the bleak landscape that many fans like to paint.


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    30,894
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyroos View Post
    Thanks fan of clendennon!! The old timer part hurt though..lol

    Nah, we old timers should be proud!
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    30,894
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Welcome aboard.

    Rebuilding is never as quick as you would like, however with Harvey and Wheeler, the rotation has a nice foundation to build upon.

    With Syndergaard having a chance to be a late season 2014 call up, it's solidifies a rotation and changes the bleak landscape that many fans like to paint.
    Ya know, it's still possible to win while operating a team on the cheap. It just makes it more difficult, narrows your chances.

    But it's not the same as rebuilding.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, 1985.
    Posts
    7,792
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    This is a very naive and myopic view of what the Mets are doing. A rebuild takes place on many levels: Trading older, expensive talent for younger talent; trading surplus position players to fill a need at another position; allowing youngsters a chance to learn on the major league level, and signing strategic free agents.

    The only thing the Mets have done in the Alderson era is to trade out high salaried All Stars for top prospects while promoting minor leaguers of dubious ability.

    What you call rebuilding looks suspiciously like operating a team on the cheap. Maybe I'll think otherwise when I start to see them acquire players for purposes of improving the win total instead of the bottom line.

    To give credit where it's due, what Sandy has done he's done well. I doubt few other executives in baseball could have gotten such returns for Beltran and Dickey.

    But he's had two contradictions. He's been trading off expensive players but he settled for draft picks for Reyes. Then he broke the bank to re-sign Wright.

    If the Mets weren't overly obsessed with their bottom line, they could have held on to Reyes and been much closer to turning the team around than they are now. And if they were totally obsessed with the bottom line, David Wright would be gone too.

    I don't want to rehash all the musings about why it was strategically sound to make those moves. I've heard them already. The problem is that these "strategic" moves can be equally attributed to non-strategic motives which puts us back to square one.

    In a nutshell, I'll need to see the Mets do something other than sign bargain basement minor leaguers and exchange all stars for prospects before I can be convinced they're rebuilding into legitimate multi-year contenders.

    Until then, all I see is a team operating on the cheap charging me premium ticket prices.


    Pretty much what I have been saying from the get-go.

    I'll call it a rebuild when they start signing quality FA's, and spending some coin.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The Heart of Long Island
    Posts
    7,312
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    Pretty much what I have been saying from the get-go.

    I'll call it a rebuild when they start signing quality FA's, and spending some coin.
    ....but that's not what you're supposed to do in a rebuild? lol.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    30,894
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    Pretty much what I have been saying from the get-go.

    I'll call it a rebuild when they start signing quality FA's, and spending some coin.
    The other side of the coin of course is what Omar did: sign expensive free agents and trade for expensive players for the here and now. But winning that way is difficult to sustain.

    Ironically, Omar and Sandy have shown great proficiency of executing different halves of the equation. Shame they couldn't have been co GMs! Ha!

    (sometimes i crack myself up)
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    22,020
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsFanatic19 View Post
    ....but that's not what you're supposed to do in a rebuild? lol.
    Yeah i think the difference is here is that very few people have confidence the Mets will spend significant money on payroll regardless of the position the team is in.

    Sandy Alderson has not done much to quell those suspicions either but i guess we will find out in the coming seasons.
    Last edited by metswon69; 01-21-2013 at 11:28 AM.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •