Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Amar'e: 'It's Melo's team'

Amar'e: 'It's Melo's team'

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/kni...-is-melos-team

It's almost easy to forget now, but the Knicks were once Amar’e Stoudemire’s team.

Back in 2010-11, New York was competing for a playoff spot thanks to Stoudemire's leadership and MVP-level production.

Carmelo Anthony's arrival changed everything for Stoudemire. He was no longer the unquestioned leader of the Knicks, nor was he their No. 1 option.

Those titles belonged to Anthony. Anyone who has watched the team over the last two seasons can tell you that.

Still, it's somewhat significant that Stoudemire said the following when asked on Thursday if the Knicks were his or Anthony's team:

"It's Melo's team," a smiling Stoudemire said after the Knicks' win over the Pistons in London, according to reports.

Stoudemire, of course, wasn’t breaking any new ground here. It's crystal clear that the Knicks are Carmelo Anthony's team. But for Stoudemire to recognize and accept publicly that he is no longer the primary piece for the Knicks is important.

The Knicks need Stoudemire to be comfortable in his role this year -- whether it's off the bench or as a starter -- if they hope to make a deep run in the playoffs.

So for Stoudemire to have the self-confidence to admit that he's playing a complementary role to Anthony is a good sign.

Clearly, this roster was shaped with Anthony in mind. All of the additions of the past two seasons, from Tyson Chandler to Jason Kidd, were brought in to support Anthony.

And, so far, it has worked.

If Stoudemire can develop into a productive member of the second unit or a complement to Anthony in the starting five, it would only make the Knicks a tougher out in the playoffs.

New York's star duo played well against the Pistons on Thursday. Anthony had 26 points on 8-for-19 shooting. Stoudemire, in his best performance since coming back from knee surgery, had 17 points on 3-of-5 shooting. He went 11-for-12 from the foul line in 20 minutes.

Anthony and Stoudemire shared the floor for a little over 14 minutes in the Knicks’ win. After the game, a reporter asked Anthony if this was the best team he has played on in his 10 years in the NBA.

"By far," Anthony said. "I've been on some good teams. ... But as far as being a complete team from top to bottom, this is the best team that I've been on."

The best team Anthony has ever been on can be even better with a healthy, productive Stoudemire.

KNICKS 2012/2013 = REBIRTH
    Lets talk some Knicks on Twitter @knicksupdate
    Knicks Past Knicks Future
    Originally Posted by StoicSentry
    "I hate rooting for the Knicks because of their connection with the Rangers. I never became a serious Knicks fan."

vCash
    Rooting for Amar'e to do well. He's saying all the right things and really trying to fit in with our squad.

vCash
    Um...clearly?

Born a Knick Live a Knick Die a Knick
    Knicks-Jets-Yanks-Chris Paul-St.Johns-Duke Fan

vCash
    We should wait for Melo to have a good full year before saying it is "his" team. He's not LeBron or Kobe people.

vCash
    we need him for an easy 17 and 8 night in and night out. Go get it amare

vCash
    Really? Glad he cleared that up for me. Love Stat.

vCash
    ummmmm....duh??????????.....the title is kinda misleading....... its only mentioned in like one sentence out of the whole story..............but anyways.......i was more interested in what the thread was "realy" about and that was mello saying this is the best team in a whole hes been on by far..............
    Last edited by yankstheknicks; 01-20-2013 at 05:55 PM.

vCash
    well considering amare's coming off the bench and playing 20 mins a night and melo is 4th in the mvp race it's kind of a given. he doesn't need a full season to prove that he is the most important player on this team.

vCash
    A lot of dicks in this thread
    Future Ace

vCash
    you're desperate for attention aren't you lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ill21 View Post
    A lot of dicks in this thread
    lol
    Video of Carmelo Anthony first time in the Barclays center http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZIIQmQ2qRA

Quote Originally Posted by oballers View Post
    the only statistic I will care about is how many W's we have and how much fun it was watching us get those Ws.

If you don't understand what I mean see the formula below:

((Amount of Joy)* Playoff Wins * # of Championships/ Number of times cheered) * # of beers drunk / % of trash talking

vCash
    Please, tell me something that I don't know.

But on the real, I think this is good for Melo's psyche out there. I was personally kind of upset when he was trying to forcefeed STAT in his first games back. Melo needs to play exactly how he plays without STAT, when STAT is on the court with him. Don't worry about getting him his touches, do your thing and STAT needs to let the game come to him and allow Melo to be featured.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Leethal View Post

But on the real, I think this is good for Melo's psyche out there. I was personally kind of upset when he was trying to forcefeed STAT in his first games back. Melo needs to play exactly how he plays without STAT, when STAT is on the court with him. Don't worry about getting him his touches, do your thing and STAT needs to let the game come to him and allow Melo to be featured.
    I didnt see at as that honestly, maybe its all in my head but the vibe I get from Melo is he really wants Amare to get going to take some of the load off. Melo came into the season adamant about coexisting with STAT and sharing the ball more after his Olympic experience. I believe his mindset was Amare would be his legit second option and obviously that hasnt been the case.

When Amare was on his way back Melo seemed relieved to me. I really believe Amare already being here was a big factor in Melo forcing his way to us, in addition to his NY upbringing and affinity for Bernard King. So when I see him forcing Amare the ball I think its him trying to get back the player he signed up to play alongside, because he knows we have no hopes of a championship if Amare isnt a contributor.
    Video of Carmelo Anthony first time in the Barclays center http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZIIQmQ2qRA

Quote Originally Posted by oballers View Post
    the only statistic I will care about is how many W's we have and how much fun it was watching us get those Ws.

If you don't understand what I mean see the formula below:

((Amount of Joy)* Playoff Wins * # of Championships/ Number of times cheered) * # of beers drunk / % of trash talking

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Leethal View Post

are you serious ? upset that he was trying to force feed him ? it seems like only carmelo is interested in giving him the ball ...if you notice ...whenever carmelo is on the court with him he tries to feed him the ball because J.r won't do it unless melo instructs him most of the time , And Pablo looks for him a couple times but that may be the only touches he gets if melo isn't on the court ..or if the ball just doesn't suddenly end up on his hands . & you still fail to understand that Carmelo just genuinely wants Amare to be comfortable and himself and the 2nd star again ... Amare doesn't have to average 25-9 anymore but a 20-22 and 9 would suffice assuming when he gets back those minutes

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KnicksPain View Post
    I didnt see at as that honestly, maybe its all in my head but the vibe I get from Melo is he really wants Amare to get going to take some of the load off. Melo came into the season adamant about coexisting with STAT and sharing the ball more after his Olympic experience. I believe his mindset was Amare would be his legit second option and obviously that hasnt been the case.

When Amare was on his way back Melo seemed relieved to me. I really believe Amare already being here was a big factor in Melo forcing his way to us, in addition to his NY upbringing and affinity for Bernard King. So when I see him forcing Amare the ball I think its him trying to get back the player he signed up to play alongside, because he knows we have no hopes of a championship if Amare isnt a contributor.
    I agree. He definitely wants another player that he can play off of at times. Just like Durant has with Westbrook, and James with Wade, etc., etc.

It's clear this team is overly reliant on Melo offensively. Can he carry that load? Maybe, but a lot of things has to go right...including the 3pt shooting. But it's more so a problem when he isn't on the floor. A 2nd feature type scorer, especially one that can do it inside, is exactly what this team needed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast