vCash
    Here is my problem with the Leafs and their contract situations (cap hits):

Grabovski $5.5
    Phaneuf $6.5
    Lupul $5.25
    Komi $4.5
    Liles $3.875
    Connolly $4.75

That's $30 million...imagine the players you could get for $30 million. Take $1 million off of every contract and and $1.5 off of Phaneuf, Komi and Connolly and that is fair value. Then use the extra $7.5 million to sign a UFA like Perry or Getzlaf. I hate how the Leafs always overpay by $500,000 - $1.0 on every player they sign. How Burke signed Kulemin for only $2.8 must have been a mistake. Hopefully Nonis's wallet has tighter strings than Burke's did.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lavy16 View Post

Grabovski $5.5
    Phaneuf $6.5
    Lupul $5.25
    Komi $4.5
    Liles $3.875
    Connolly $4.75

That's $30 million...imagine the players you could get for $30 million. Take $1 million off of every contract and and $1.5 off of Phaneuf, Komi and Connolly and that is fair value. Then use the extra $7.5 million to sign a UFA like Perry or Getzlaf. I hate how the Leafs always overpay by $500,000 - $1.0 on every player they sign. How Burke signed Kulemin for only $2.8 must have been a mistake. Hopefully Nonis's wallet has tighter strings than Burke's did.
    A few years ago I would have agreed with your premise, problem is now, the market has gone this direction. Obviously guys like Komi and Connolly are bums, the rest aren't but are clearly overpaid to one extent or another. I think this is just the way the markets going, it's either give them the money or watch them walk out the door and get a similar contract elsewhere. We all complain about Grabovski but lets face facts, this organization has zero centers you can hang your hat on. Kulemin makes peanuts compared to the rest because he didn't have much leverage. His payday will come and I'm sure we'll all be back here complaining that he's making too much.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lavy16 View Post

Grabovski $5.5
    Phaneuf $6.5
    Lupul $5.25
    Komi $4.5
    Liles $3.875
    Connolly $4.75

I think the 500k-1M overpayment is due to tax reasons. I remember reading that somewhere last July and i'm sure you can find it with a quick google search.

but I agree, we overpay for mediocre players and that's why we'll always have to live with mediocrity.

Even look at the Flyers, they let the young guys play and it works (i.e. Couturier, Schenn, Read, Laughton, Rinaldo). We seem to get plugs to fill the same bottom 6 roles (yes I also understand Schenn and Couturier are talented, but still).

I think i'll lose it if they give MacArthur 4M, though Can't tie up cap in guys like that.
    dont have a seizure cwick

Lavy16 is offline Users Awaiting Moderation
    vCash
    The problem with the Leafs is they are spending too much money to keep mediocre players. They need to start to cut ties because they are killing their chances of improving. I'm sick of them kicking the tires re-signing guys like Grabovski and Liles. It's time to go in a new direction.

vCash
    For every guy the team overlays by .5-1M they need to then find guys to get for under market value. That's tough to do because you need to find guys who will buy into that. Being inside the room must be weird knowing a guy you're sitting across from is overpaid and not producing while you're doing the same job but better are getting paid way less.

vCash
    I just hope at seasons end with Connolly off the cap and a good buyout, and hopefully a trade of someone like Mac for picks to make room for a youngster who makes less they spend the money wisely.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tito Santana View Post
    For every guy the team overlays by .5-1M they need to then find guys to get for under market value. That's tough to do because you need to find guys who will buy into that. Being inside the room must be weird knowing a guy you're sitting across from is overpaid and not producing while you're doing the same job but better are getting paid way less.
    This is exactly why I wouldn't be able to put up with Dion Phaneuf as my captain. To have a guy in the room like him that chews out younger players (that's the word on the street) but yet pinches, gets burnt defensively, never hits the net and doesn't hussle back when he does pinch, has got to be extremely aggrevating for some of the players.

vCash
    His next contract will be an interesting one. Will he buy into the team mentality and take a cut to allow for more money to be spent elsewhere? Will he demand more which he hasn't earned? This is the problem with kids getting paid too much too fast. There should e a step program implemented into salaries where it can't jump from 800k to 8M like it seems to with some guys.

vCash
    Alot of the problem now is kids coming out of their 3 year ELC and signing these monster deals. Back in the day a kid would have to wait until he was almost 30 to get his big pay day. Now these kids aren't even 22/23 years old as RFA's and they command as much as UFA's. It's a little ridiculous for young players to get that coin when they've only played in the league 3 years.

vCash
    Every night i will be praying that Kessel gets less than $7 million. Let's go Nonis
    Skating circles around the NHL since 2013/2014

To be continued...?

\_(ツ)_/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OptiMized View Post
    Every night i will be praying that Kessel gets less than $7 million. Let's go Nonis
    Yeah he's gonna get this. If it's true Bozak gets resigned soon I hope it's not 4 million or higher.

Toronto Gyarados.
    NHL Pokemon logo's for the win.

Blue Jays,
    Maple Leafs and Steelers fan for life.

vCash
    If Bozak gets more than $3 million and we still have grabovski then i might just quit. i don't know what i'd quit but i would quit. I would be soooooo mad if Bozak got anything close to $4 million
    Skating circles around the NHL since 2013/2014

To be continued...?

\_(ツ)_/

vCash
    Bozak hasn't earned it. He needs to work his way up the pay scale.

Lavy16 is offline Users Awaiting Moderation
    vCash
    Where were all you guys last year when I was pointing out how overpaid Phaneuf is...I was also against the Grabovski contract big time...and I didn't like the GM too...what was his name again

vCash
    Haha I thought Phaneuf was overpaid in Calgary.

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast