Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    vCash
    You guys are way too optimistic about this deal. I like Lupul as a player but why did the Leafs have to do this nonsense again? He had one good year with zero leverage. Even if he had another good season he wouldve gotten roughly the same on the open market. No one is going to give him +6mi a season. So the gave him full money, long term, and a limited ntc. Makes zero sense to me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KingerSox View Post
    Yeah the Grabo contract does suck. But like I said, at the time his agent had us bent over a table due to circumstance. Circumstance that Burke created with his unwillingness to upgrade over 4 years or more. We're pretty loaded up on the wings to the point where 1 real impact center puts us in a real good spot when you look at the age and depth we have on the wings. Getzlaf is the dream.
    We could have traded Grabo or let him walk.

I'd have rather signed PA Parenteau than keep Grabo

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIUMPHATOR View Post
    You guys are way too optimistic about this deal. I like Lupul as a player but why did the Leafs have to do this nonsense again? He had one good year with zero leverage. Even if he had another good season he wouldve gotten roughly the same on the open market. No one is going to give him +6mi a season. So the gave him full money, long term, and a limited ntc. Makes zero sense to me.
    If he would have done it again, he would have gotten 6 36 maybe more.

You don't understand how rare ppg guys in the NHL are.

5 million is quite reasonable for Lupul if he's a 55-60 point guy which I think we all think he can/likely will be.

Its not perfect or a steal but its fair imo

vCash
    The grabo deal isn't THAT bad, it isn't buy-out bad that's for sure.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jrice9 View Post
    We could have traded Grabo or let him walk.

I'd have rather signed PA Parenteau than keep Grabo
    Obviously those were the only two options. But if you trade him you're probably not going to end up with much outside of picks and a prospect maybe thus creating a much bigger hole than we already have down the middle. I HATE his contract but look at our team down the middle without him. That's why Burke didn't have a leg to stand on when he started negotiating with his agent. Plus it's tough to anticipate certain guys heading to FA.(PA Parenteau theory) I wouldn't chance that. There's nothing much in our system outside of Colborne at center and he doesn't deserve a chance the way he's played. Suppose we could of traded Grabo and just kept Lombardi or Connolly around for one year. Regardless we need some fixing down the middle.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIUMPHATOR View Post
    When Lupul plays more than 30 games in a season he produces at or around 50 pts, the one exception is his time in Edmonton. He's healthy and more importantly he has chemistry with our best player and elevates his game. Lupul would have easily gotten more $$ on the open market, this isn't some scub who just walked on to this team people would have over-paid if they lost out on the big names. Lupul was once a pretty highly touted prospect who wasn't given enough minutes and had a freak career-threatening injury, he's showing his potential now. I think Lupul has like 85 pts in 95 games with us so far, this will easily be Burke's best trade with the Leafs and maybe of his career.
    Leaf fans at the start of every new season...

We've been through tough times, man.

vCash
    Keep half of Grabos salary in a trade and teams will be interested in trading for him. I personally would keep him unless Bozak/Kadri proves they can be a 2nd line C and we have a shot at a Getzlaf.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KingerSox View Post
    Obviously those were the only two options. But if you trade him you're probably not going to end up with much outside of picks and a prospect maybe thus creating a much bigger hole than we already have down the middle. I HATE his contract but look at our team down the middle without him. That's why Burke didn't have a leg to stand on when he started negotiating with his agent. Plus it's tough to anticipate certain guys heading to FA.(PA Parenteau theory) I wouldn't chance that. There's nothing much in our system outside of Colborne at center and he doesn't deserve a chance the way he's played. Suppose we could of traded Grabo and just kept Lombardi or Connolly around for one year. Regardless we need some fixing down the middle.
    I guess so but we're mediocre anyway. The picks/prospects could have worked nicely and you can find a decent guy in FA usually. Considering how Kadri looks, it wouldn't have been so bad anyway.

Its tough to forecast these things but I highly doubt Grabovski was getting 6 mil for 5 years from anyone in FA.

vCash
    If he would have done it again, he would have gotten 6 36 maybe more.

You don't understand how rare ppg guys in the NHL are.

5 million is quite reasonable for Lupul if he's a 55-60 point guy which I think we all think he can/likely will be.

Its not perfect or a steal but its fair imo
    What are you talking about? This is exactly why the Leafs are in a perpetal mess.
    In what universe is Lupul a ppg player? He has played 516 games and has 323 points, not even close to ppg player. He had one good season, and even if he had another no GM in their right mind would give 6/36.
    Last edited by TRIUMPHATOR; 01-20-2013 at 04:04 PM.

vCash
    I guess so but we're mediocre anyway. The picks/prospects could have worked nicely and you can find a decent guy in FA usually. Considering how Kadri looks, it wouldn't have been so bad anyway.

Its tough to forecast these things but I highly doubt Grabovski was getting 6 mil for 5 years from anyone in FA.
    No he probably wouldn't of gotten 6 mil but he would of gotten atleast what we gave him from some desperate team. Which we were desperate at centre so go figure the contract. I agree I would of taken a 1st rounder or a nice prospect for him too. A mixture of both maybe? But at the time Burke was the GM and he was always trying to win now. Or he was was always happy with his players or whatever crap he said. Same reason he wouldn't trade MacArthur at the deadline because he didn't want to set the team back in the present and I quote "Make the fans wait." God that guy really knew how to overrate his team. Still waitin..
    Last edited by KingerSox; 01-20-2013 at 04:14 PM.

vCash
    Not a fan of this deal, especially the term. Imagine he had a crap season and they used the special buy out on him this summer. Haha. Lupul is a 2nd line winger and I'm not sure I'd be paying a 2nd line guy that much. What's this do for Kessel's asking price? GeeZ

vCash
    This should lead to the end of Grabo.
    Eat Lobster

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tito Santana View Post
    Not a fan of this deal, especially the term. Imagine he had a crap season and they used the special buy out on him this summer. Haha. Lupul is a 2nd line winger and I'm not sure I'd be paying a 2nd line guy that much. What's this do for Kessel's asking price? GeeZ
    Lupul's is a first line winger.

Even if he's low 60's or high 50's in points that can make him a first line winger and entitled to a 5 million dollar salary

vCash
    I like the deal,there is a reason why ppl trade for lupul...he brings his A game.Now a days you pay for more then just pt production but i have Faith he will have a good half season.

vCash
    Just over 5 a year is not bad given his production. IF he stays healthy and IF he continues producing this is a good deal. Another ppg season and he would have made more per.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast