Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tito Santana View Post
    Are people watching the same guy as me? He's still a comedy of errors. He might be playing well for a guy who makes 2M but for a guy making over 6M he's not. More is expected and he still does a lot of little things wrong.
    Agreed. He's a joke to watch IMO. Is still a liability in his own end, and isn't bringing much else to the table. He's doesn't hit nearly enough anymore and has no control over his shot. He would be one contract I would strongly consider buying out, the other being Komi. Especially with Lupul going down, may as well let Nonis start a rebuild?

vCash
    Phaneuf has actually played very good hockey this year. I am not going to argue back and fourth considering no matter what I say you'll just bash Phaneuf and the Leafs etc. I can't make a point concerning Lupul because he's hurt now, and all the people who were saying it was a bad contract now have reasoning behind it, so I will just focus on Phaneuf.

He's done fine. I don't get the hate towards him. He's been a good defenseman on this team, anybody could have had a shot break their arm it's hockey... I don't see how it's his fault for shooting the puck towards the net. Lupul was doing his job and his arm broke it's bad luck.

It has nothing to do with an injury history he had a shot up and break his arm. It has nothing to do with Phaneuf, how he's playing and how much he's earning. He's been very good this year and what was wrong with how he played last year? I thought he played well.

Now, Lupul's gone so it gives way for Frattin to play.

Toronto Gyarados.
    NHL Pokemon logo's for the win.

Blue Jays,
    Maple Leafs and Steelers fan for life.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyLuke2 View Post
    Phaneuf has actually played very good hockey this year. I am not going to argue back and fourth considering no matter what I say you'll just bash Phaneuf and the Leafs etc. I can't make a point concerning Lupul because he's hurt now, and all the people who were saying it was a bad contract now have reasoning behind it, so I will just focus on Phaneuf.

He's done fine. I don't get the hate towards him. He's been a good defenseman on this team, anybody could have had a shot break their arm it's hockey... I don't see how it's his fault for shooting the puck towards the net. Lupul was doing his job and his arm broke it's bad luck.

It has nothing to do with an injury history he had a shot up and break his arm. It has nothing to do with Phaneuf, how he's playing and how much he's earning. He's been very good this year and what was wrong with how he played last year? I thought he played well.

save your breath, haters...haters everywhere

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyLuke2 View Post

Phaneuf may look "alright" or not make as many mistakes against weaker opponents, but I find he really gets exposed when the competition gets stiff. If we are ever going to have a shot at making a stanley cup run, having that amount of money tied up in a player like him that just happens to be wearing the "C" is not going to help, IMO.
    As far as Lupul goes, I was glad they locked him up for a few years, 5 years was a little excessive, but I was glad they were able to keep him as I really enjoyed watching him play last year and feel the unorthodox route he has taken in his career may allow him to hold significant value over the life of the contract. Anyway, sucks he broke his arm as I am now certainly leaning much more heavily toward tank nation as I was prior to the injury

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LeafsFan16 View Post
    Phaneuf may look "alright" or not make as many mistakes against weaker opponents, but I find he really gets exposed when the competition gets stiff. If we are ever going to have a shot at making a stanley cup run, having that amount of money tied up in a player like him that just happens to be wearing the "C" is not going to help, IMO.
    As far as Lupul goes, I was glad they locked him up for a few years, 5 years was a little excessive, but I was glad they were able to keep him as I really enjoyed watching him play last year and feel the unorthodox route he has taken in his career may allow him to hold significant value over the life of the contract. Anyway, sucks he broke his arm as I am now certainly leaning much more heavily toward tank nation as I was prior to the injury

You raise good points. I am aware that Phaneuf can be a liability in his own end, I know that. I know his play can be a little sporadic, but if you look at when he first arrived here and was named captain, I feel that his game has grown to a more steady type of player and leader. Yes he has occasional mental lapses, but compared to when he first got here I think he's become more of a leader, more mature.

Is he paid a lot? Yeah. But in today's market that is what Phaneuf would garner either way I think. I know people will disagree but that's how I see it. If he would have scored 2 goals last night and broke Lupul's arm people wouldn't be so quick to judge him like they are now.

I think he's done well and has looked very good so far this year. But that's me, people will differ in their opinions.

Toronto Gyarados.
    NHL Pokemon logo's for the win.

Blue Jays,
    Maple Leafs and Steelers fan for life.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lavy16 View Post
    I agree 100%...I don't understand the "love" for Phaneuf.... Has he earned his $6.5 million cap hit?
    This is what I can't get past.

Lavy16 is offline Users Awaiting Moderation
    vCash
    Look at his cap hit and then look at his play...the math doesn't add up

vCash
    He should get the Wade Redden treatment for a few years

vCash
    Neither does Grabo's........doh, shouldn't start that one again

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIUMPHATOR View Post
    Neither does Grabo's........doh, shouldn't start that one again
    You can start it just know what your arguing and present some facts to back up your argument

look forward to it

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tito Santana View Post
    This is what I can't get past.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeafsFan16 View Post
    He should get the Wade Redden treatment for a few years This is a joke right?
    http://www.capgeek.com/comparables/?player=442

Pick any name you'd like and Phanuef stacks up pretty well offensively, he's overpaid but so are a lot of Dmen. Almost every comparable to Phanuef is overpaid. Dion's play @ $2 million would be "well", he'd be a ****ing steal. He's got stuff to work on but he's is not only worth $2 million, get a grip. The problem with Dion, as i've said before, is he plays too many minutes and shouldn't be on the PK.

He was 12th in defense man scoring last year and wasn't even the worst minus player in the top 15. And averaged more ice time than Zdeno Chara.
    http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...ewName=summary

The problem isn't Phanuef, he needs help. Overpaid by $.5 million at the most, if he hits UFA in 2 years he WILL get a $6 million deal.

vCash
    ^ you think with the cap set to come down, a team is going to be foolish enough to pay Phaneuf $6.0 per season? He's more likely to get $5-$5.5 million and that is still an overpayment. I wouldn't offer more than a 4 year $22 million dollar deal. I still wouldn't feel comfortable with that.

vCash
    ^ you think with the cap set to come down, a team is going to be foolish enough to pay Phaneuf $6.0 per season? He's more likely to get $5-$5.5 million and that is still an overpayment. I wouldn't offer more than a 4 year $22 million dollar deal. I still wouldn't feel comfortable with that.
    Then you will lose a good defenseman, and probably won't ever have a good one again if you don't think he is a $5 million dman. I can see how some might think his is slightly overpaid but some of the posts in here are pretty rediculous. Show me a D man that plays 25 mins a game, 40 pts a season, plays in all situations (by default, like Dion), is the captain of his team, and is only rewarded with $2 million a season. You wouldn't even get a pre-sucking Komisarek for that, good luck

vCash
    My next fear is that after rewarding Grabovski with an average salary of $5.5 million and Lupul with a $5.25 million, what are Kessel and Bozak going to demand? Bozak put up 47 points last year in 73 games and could put up similar numbers in this shortened season. Does that get him a deal worth $5.0 per season? Thank God Kessel hasn't broken the 40 goal mark yet because I'm sure he'd be asking for $6-$7.0 per season. There are going to be some tough choices ahead and at some point the Leafs are going to have to cut back on the spending.

vCash
    I guess we'll have to wait and see, but if they keep playing like this i could care less what they're paid as long as the team wins.

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast