Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Prospect Question

Hey guys, I am actually very new to being an NHL fan and to be more exact an Islanders fan but i have a question about the prospects.

I literally became an Isles fan 2 or 3 weeks ago and i have been reading about the prospects since they are going to be the future. The main reason i became an Isles fan and started watching NHL was i wanted to follow all 4 sports and they are moving to brooklyn(nets fan) and i think they will spark up the roster.

Now my question is why haven't they called up Strome, Nino, Da Haan, or even Griffen.

Now you guys are gonna think im crazy for saying griffen but you are starting to see in all sports that rookies move up immediately. Look at the NFL, Wilson, RG3, and Luck started immediately for the teams and back then that never would have happened since it takes a long time for the quaterback to sit back and 'learn'.

In my honest opinion, i think they should call up those 4 players because that is better than what we have. Only reason why i can think hes not calling them up is because maybe hes "sandbagging" the season to get one more sick prospect before the move to Brooklyn.

Another question to add is, what are the chances they get called up this season? and the why they havent been called up already? Thanks guys and dont kill me to badly just started getting into the swing of things with the NHL. lol

vCash
    This is a lot different than the NFL. In the NFL and NBA, almost all players go to at least 2 years of college (NFL players have to I believe, not sure about NBA, So rookies are usually 21 or 22 or 23 years old when they are drafted. In the NHL, you become eligible for the draft at 17 years old I believe, and if you're a top tier prospect youll certainly get picked in your first year olf eligibility.

The reason a guy like De Haan isnt up yet? Cause his progress has been very hapered by injuries. He has yet to play a fukll season, in the 3 we've drafted him, this is his fourth and he's played 3 games due to injuries.

Reinhart, well we just drafted him, so once again, he's just 17 years old. The size and strength difference from juniors to the NHL is massive. Reinhart may seem big at 6'4 200, but the 6'4 guys he'll be going up against probably have 30 or so pounds on him. He hasn't played great this season either, so it's best to at least get him 1-2 more years of development before he starts taking on professionals.

Nino is a big question mark. In his first year with us, we brought him right up for a 9 game tryout and then sent him back to juniors. He had a very goo season, so ast year, he played almost the whole year with the Isles. What happened?he was buried on the 4th line with awful linemates and had 1 goal and 0 assists in 49 games. So because of the lockout, we could send him down to play in the AHL, and as a 20 year old AHL rookie, he's tearing it up. I want Snow and mgmt. to call him up, but they probably just want to give him a full season in the AHL, which i guess may be smart, but the ISels still need him.

Strome is another question. After wedrafted him, he went right back to the OHL and had a decent season but didnt really take a step forward. THis year he got to start the year in juniors again due to the lockout, and he is absolutely tearing it up. It's clear to just about everyone that he has outgrown and outskilled the OHL and needs to come up to the next level, but I guess mgmt doesnt see it that way. Theyre gonna keep him there for the year, even when we can give him a 5 game tryout without him losing a year on his contract, and even when we desperately need another good C, which Strome is. Im baffled by this, but theres a 100% chance Strome and Nino will be top contributors next year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CHj0dMkK6A

New Video. Isles season highlights 2011-12!

vCash
    ^ What he said. Our prospects are still raw, and the Islanders dont wanna contend this year so why show them off?

vCash
    Thanks a lot man for explaining everything, is it possible that they may sandbag there way to brooklyn and load up on as many prospects as possible. Imagine this team with the specs we have plus another 2 or 3 good young players. This team should draft the best player available for the draft and this team should be very good and scrappy in 2 to 3 years IF everything works out.

vCash
    Yeah definitely but weve been doign this since 2008 essentially, 2-3 more years of it? Most fans will just abandon this team, its been too long as is. Id like to think Garth and Wang are trying to make the team as good as possibl now so we have some established relevance when we go to Brooklyn

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kmo429 View Post
    Yeah definitely but weve been doign this since 2008 essentially, 2-3 more years of it? Most fans will just abandon this team, its been too long as is. Id like to think Garth and Wang are trying to make the team as good as possibl now so we have some established relevance when we go to Brooklyn
    We can only hope... They both lie to much XD

vCash
    Thanks, KMO... I'm just starting to get into hockey and the Isles myself, lot of new stuff like this to figure out.

It seems to me that ownership is waiting on the move to BK to get serious. Right now we're just killing time and making sure the young guys pan out and we can get as many years of them in their prime as possible, hopefully they pan out in a big way, maybe we sign a FA or two that will actually want to play for us at Barclays.

vCash
    I don't think management is just waiting til brooklyn, I think they want tog et better now. From their perspective, theyd rather be safe with Strome and Nino. If we can win without them, yay, and it's a plus too that theyll be getting more experience and strength and confidence before coming here full time.

We basically have the same team as last year, just minus Parenteau, Eaton, Mottau, Rolston, Jurcina, Staois, and plus Boyes, Carkner, Finley, Strait, Martinek, Aucoin, McDonald, Boulton. Once Bailey and Joensuu are here, it'll likely be Reasoner and Boulston and McDonald who see less time or even get sent down/waived. If we can play well before they get here, and not to mention Lubo, who si a legit top 4 dman and will be awesome for our 2nd PP unit, we'll be improved.

The reason not having guys like Nino and Strome not beign here ooks so bad is because it's wiver wire pickups and nobodies takign their potential spots. If that was guys we liked more, like Bailey and I guess Joensuu and Lubo, then we'd feel much better about Strome and Nino getting more development time, or at least I would.

Still frustrated about guys like Finley and Strait (who relaly haven't been terrible nor good so far, Finley is pretty damn useless it seems) getting the shot this year before a Donovan or Ness or LANDRY OR Wishart, who have been with us and have played well at their current level. But that's irrelevant.

Get in Martinek in for Finley and Bailey in for McDonald and Cizikas in for Reasoner and Joensuu in for Boulton and Lubomir Visnovsky in for Strait and Ill be very happy in a couple weeks

vCash
    I don't think management is just waiting til brooklyn, I think they want tog et better now. From their perspective, theyd rather be safe with Strome and Nino. If we can win without them, yay, and it's a plus too that theyll be getting more experience and strength and confidence before coming here full time.

We basically have the same team as last year, just minus Parenteau, Eaton, Mottau, Rolston, Jurcina, Staois, and plus Boyes, Carkner, Finley, Strait, Martinek, Aucoin, McDonald, Boulton. Once Bailey and Joensuu are here, it'll likely be Reasoner and Boulston and McDonald who see less time or even get sent down/waived. If we can play well before they get here, and not to mention Lubo, who si a legit top 4 dman and will be awesome for our 2nd PP unit, we'll be improved.

The reason not having guys like Nino and Strome not beign here ooks so bad is because it's wiver wire pickups and nobodies takign their potential spots. If that was guys we liked more, like Bailey and I guess Joensuu and Lubo, then we'd feel much better about Strome and Nino getting more development time, or at least I would.

Still frustrated about guys like Finley and Strait (who relaly haven't been terrible nor good so far, Finley is pretty damn useless it seems) getting the shot this year before a Donovan or Ness or LANDRY OR Wishart, who have been with us and have played well at their current level. But that's irrelevant.

Get in Martinek in for Finley and Bailey in for McDonald and Cizikas in for Reasoner and Joensuu in for Boulton and Lubomir Visnovsky in for Strait and Ill be very happy in a couple weeks
    Finley is a lost block... I actually like what I saw out of Mcdonald today. If Joensuu is cold, send him down unless its a one way contract.

vCash
    I dont even remember seeing Finley on the ice... It seems like he's really just here to be big though.

vCash

This is a good point, picking up other peoples spare parts never really looks great, especially if its a team like the Isles that haven't been getting things done lately.