Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Celtics interested in JJ Redick

As Feb. 21 #NBA trade deadline looms, sources tell me the Boston Celtics covet Orlando Magic SG J.J. Redick.
    tweet-David Baumann of NBC Sports

I am not sure about this one, as we are already log jammed at shooting guard. However, Baumann brings up an interesting old article on how well Redick plays Ray Allen, so maybe the C's are interested in him because he can neutralize Ray if we play Miami in the playoffs. No idea who we'd move for this, but maybe Courtney Lee and Fab Melo for Redick.

From that old 2010 article:
    Redick’s comprehensive knowledge of Allen’s skills and tendencies has helped him defend Allen for the second postseason in a row. Redick has an edge on anticipating Allen’s next move because he has emulated them so many times himself. Take Allen’s ability to run off screens as an example.

“Well, I kind of think it’s because that’s what I used to do at Duke,” he said. “I kind of understand the mentality of coming off picks, coming off baseline screens. And really, it’s all about having contact and making sure there’s not that much separation. Ray, as you know, he gets it off so quick, you really have to be on his body.”

Redick’s insight has helped him stay ready on defense. Allen’s scoring has ranged from 25 points to four, shooting as hot as 8-for-16 from the field to 1-for-6.

"Stats are for losers. The final score is for winners." - Bill Belichick

vCash
    meh. Doesn't solve any of our glaring needs right now.

Why give up a 1st round pick like Melo for another SG? We need size and rebounding.
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    If Sullinger ever finishes an NBA season in the top 75 in Win Shares, I'll quit the forum.
    ^^ Deal taken! ^^

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Celticsfan2007 View Post
    meh. Doesn't solve any of our glaring needs right now.

Why give up a 1st round pick like Melo for another SG? We need size and rebounding.
    The money matches there, but other than that, I just don't know who the heck we'd deal for him. They wouldn't be interested if they didn't have a scenario trade in mind.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 69centers View Post
    The money matches there, but other than that, I just don't know who the heck we'd deal for him. They wouldn't be interested if they didn't have a scenario trade in mind.
    I like Reddick, but I don't think theres a point in acquiring him unless your getting rid of Terry and/or Lee.

I do a Lee for Reddick trade straight up!
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    If Sullinger ever finishes an NBA season in the top 75 in Win Shares, I'll quit the forum.
    ^^ Deal taken! ^^

vCash
    He's putting up the best assists and points of his career this year, too.

vCash
    I'd be interested in seeing him as a Celtic. Need a big too. I know Orlando has that Nikola Vueic kid.. They'd probs want to keep him though

vCash
    I love it, one of the best shooters in the league off the bench and hes not like a Steve Novak he has game, hes become a decent distributor, he hustles on both sides, I think he would help us immensely considering we're not a great shooting team, not saying we dont need a big but whose out there that will be a huge upgrade over Bass and we dont have to give up an arm and a leg for?

vCash
    Redick is heavily underrated. 15 points and 5 assists, 35% FG and 39% from 3. He's better than Lee and Terry this year.

I'd do a swap of Lee for him, not sure what else is possible

vCash
    It's known DA has a man crush on JJ... I'd do it if it can get the C's out of either Lee's, Terry's or Bass's contract...

IMO Orlando would want Bradley in return... no thanks...
    "I've never been scared of contact. Now I get to bring it, that's what I love to do, so I'm going to bring it."

Reggie Lewis

GET OFF YOUR HEELS BILL !!!

vCash
    Difficult for the Celtics to acquire Reddick unless it's a multi-player trade which probably means a third team needs to be involved.

AN EXAMPLE would be something like this. (according to trade machine it works for whatever that is worth) REMEMBER this is being offered as an EXAMPLE of the type of trade it MIGHT take from Boston's perspective only. There are obvious problems with this scenario, enough so it might not make sense for any of the teams involved. Just pointing out how difficult it is to work a multi-player, multi-team deal.

Boston can take more players back AND reduce payroll in this scenario making it ideal in that sense.

Boston
    Gives: $11 M in Bass $6 M, Terry (or Lee) $5 M, First round pick.
    Gets: $10 M in Reddick $6.2 M, Patterson $2.1 M and Nic Vucevic $1.7 M

Orlando
    Gives: $8.6 M in Reddick $6.2 M, Nic Vucevic $1.7 M, Moore $762.2K
    Gets: $7.4 M in Terry (or Lee) $5.0 M and Aldrich $2.4 M

Houston
    Gives: $4.5 M in Patterson $2.1 M and Aldrich $2.4 M
    Gets: $6.8 M in Bass $6 M, Moore $762.2K, Boston 1st round pick.

These types of trades are more tpically draft day or off season deals than they are trade deadline deals.
    Last edited by Opalmerr; 01-19-2013 at 06:38 PM.
    Current
    Rajon Rondo, Phil Pressey
    Jerryd Bayless, Chris Babb
    Jeff Green, Chris Johnson
    Brandon Bass, Jared Sullinger
    Kris Humphries, Kelly Olynyk, Joel Anthony

Injured
    Avery Bradley
    Gerald Wallace
    Keith Bogans
    Victor Faverani

Colton Iverson (stashed overseas)

vCash
    I'd take Redick in a heartbeat.

I'd have no problem trading Lee for him...Though Lee is coming into his own lately.

vCash
    Lol moore would go back to the team that released him and lee would return to orlando that be funny

vCash
    Maybe Danny isn't coveting a big as much as we all are. Howard had 16 boards and the Lakers outrebounded Miami 42-35 the other night, but the Lakers still lost and Lebron went for 39 points. Lakers have the best big in the game and that isn't enough.

We'd almost certainly have to move a SG for Redick from our standpoint as we have too many. Orlando wouldn't want Terry, so they'd have to either want Barbosa or Lee back, or a 3 team deal where Orlando got something else (but a little more realistic one than proposed above).

Agreed that I wouldn't deal Avery for JJ.
    Last edited by 69centers; 01-19-2013 at 07:02 PM.

vCash
    Yeah, those are some of the problems encountered in attempting to get Reddick specifically.

He makes $1.2 M more than the $5 M Terry and Lee make. With Boston up against the hard cap due to signing Terry they probably cannot take back more than they send out. Bass at $6 M fits better but he'd be going back to Orlando. Boston could always take Baby back....

The point of the post was to, once again, point out how difficult it actually is to put a deal together that works. Have to find teams that match needs and money not to mention franchise philosophy (win now, rebuilding, clearing cap space), style of play, ect.
    Current
    Rajon Rondo, Phil Pressey
    Jerryd Bayless, Chris Babb
    Jeff Green, Chris Johnson
    Brandon Bass, Jared Sullinger
    Kris Humphries, Kelly Olynyk, Joel Anthony

Injured
    Avery Bradley
    Gerald Wallace
    Keith Bogans
    Victor Faverani

Colton Iverson (stashed overseas)

vCash
    I'd do Lee and Melo for JJ. Money works.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast