Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by {Ron!n} View Post
    I think the rooftops shouldn't have any claim here. They're benefiting off of the Cubs without paying anything to the Cubs. Thats like yelling at your neighbors for covering their pool.
    Replace the Toyota sign, add a jumbotron and make Toyota the official sponser of that jumbotron. Problem solved without having to obstruct any rooftops. I think they both can co-exist and I'm not 100% in favor of either side. The Cubs need to find ways to add more revenue but they also need to preserve some of the history of the ballpark, rooftops certainly included. A compromise is needed here and I think it shouldn't be impossible to find a way to do so.

Also, the rooftops do have a revenue sharing deal with The Cubs currently. According to the article it was agreed to over the next 20 years. So actually, the rooftop owners do have a say in what The Cubs should and shouldn't do with sign obstructions.
    Last edited by TimbrH2001; 01-21-2013 at 04:06 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TimbrH2001 View Post
    Replace the Toyota sign, add a jumbotron and make Toyota the official sponser of that jumbotron. Problem solved without having to obstruct any rooftops. I think they both can co-exist and I'm not 100% in favor of either side. The Cubs need to find ways to add more revenue but they also need to preserve some of the history of the ballpark, rooftops certainly included. A compromise is needed here and I think it shouldn't be impossible to find a way to do so.

Also, the rooftops do have a revenue sharing deal with The Cubs currently. According to the article it was agreed to over the next 20 years. So actually, the rooftop owners do have a say in what The Cubs should and shouldn't do with sign obstructions.
    ??? Rooftops haven't been there that long. It's certainly not like the scoreboard, ivy, or marquee. Heck I would rank the troughs higher than the rooftops as far as the history of the ballpark.

That Toyota sign is super small. Not even close for a jumbotron. They could put the jumbotron more left center, but that'll block that roof ad and still obstruct part of the OF for rooftops in LF. It would be the same way on the RF side.

Yes Rooftops give a percentage to the Cubs, but they shouldn't have a say even with sign obstructions IMO. They are not part owners of the Cubs. They are making money off of someone else's "product". They act like they're part owner and should have the right to have clear views.

vCash
    Rig the scoreboard to rotate and put a jumbotron on the back, damnit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SpendidSplinter View Post
    ??? Rooftops haven't been there that long. It's certainly not like the scoreboard, ivy, or marquee. Heck I would rank the troughs higher than the rooftops as far as the history of the ballpark.

That Toyota sign is super small. Not even close for a jumbotron. They could put the jumbotron more left center, but that'll block that roof ad and still obstruct part of the OF for rooftops in LF. It would be the same way on the RF side.

Yes Rooftops give a percentage to the Cubs, but they shouldn't have a say even with sign obstructions IMO. They are not part owners of the Cubs. They are making money off of someone else's "product". They act like they're part owner and should have the right to have clear views.
    When people say Wrigley Field, they say ivy, scoreboard, marquee and rooftops. Like it or not, its a big part of what makes Wrigley unique and a one of a kind place to watch a baseball game. Start taking some of those things away and it starts to become less "Wrigley" and more like any other ballpark in this country. That was basically my point.

vCash
    The problem with Wrigley is that every stupid thing that anybody does there becomes "tradition" in less than 10 years and then you're stuck with it.

vCash
    You know we can argue what should and shouldn't be going on with the Wrigley redevelopment but in reality there are ways you can preserve basically all of the unique features this field holds as well as adding creative revenue streams. Fenway is a model for this kind of success and I do believe The Cubs FO wants to re-create the kind of vision they had in Boston. Why not just buy that building behind the Toyota sign and dump the jumbotron on top of that? Or do you think having the jumbotron across the street would make it too small for everyone to see?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleJRM View Post
    The problem with Wrigley is that every stupid thing that anybody does there becomes "tradition" in less than 10 years and then you're stuck with it.
    Having traditions is awesome. Why not try and have some unique experiences when you head to a Cubs game?

vCash
    I'd rather have traditions at Wrigley than cater to the casual fan and gay up the place like the Blackhawks have done.

vCash
    Yeah, it's a bit premature to be calling the rooftops tradition. But they ARE pretty unique and I think worth embracing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rynoplasty View Post
    Yeah, it's a bit premature to be calling the rooftops tradition. But they ARE pretty unique and I think worth embracing.
    Rooftops as a business with seating, sure. People have been watching games on those rooftops for a long time though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post
    I'd rather have traditions at Wrigley than cater to the casual fan and gay up the place like the Blackhawks have done.
    Exactly, nothing wrong with tradition. Doing the same things every other team is doing isn't really a tradition. I'd like to keep those experiences away from Wrigley and hold onto the things that make it unique.

vCash
    There's nothing wrong with tradition. But we don't have to slap that word onto every stupid thing done with a three-block radius on gameday.

vCash
    There's nothing wrong with tradition. But we don't have to slap that word onto every stupid thing done with a three-block radius on gameday.
    Curious as to all these traditions?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TimbrH2001 View Post
    Exactly, nothing wrong with tradition. Doing the same things every other team is doing isn't really a tradition. I'd like to keep those experiences away from Wrigley and hold onto the things that make it unique.
    Bingo!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by northsider View Post
    Curious as to all these traditions?
    Commercial rooftop businesses, for starters.

Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast