Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Update on Wrigley Field renovation plans

Posted by Yagyu+ in the Cubs Convention thread. Pretty big news so didn't want it to get lost in that thread:

Brett Taylor:

Crane: Our player facilities are the worst in baseball. #CubsCon

Showing video of renovation plans. Huge changes. #CubsCon

Extensive renovations, and the plan is to do it over five offseasons. #CubsCon

Dramatically increased player facilities, restrooms, concessions, communications, and an outdoor patio servicing upper deck. #CubsCon

No word (yet) on changes in ads, signage, jumbotron, etc. #CubsCon

Crane confirms no games played away from Wrigley. All during offseason (hence the five years). #CubsCon

Jed says the prospect of a renovation at Wrigley was a big draw for him and Theo. #CubsCon
    Bruce Miles:

Kenney says #Cubs have to do better for their players and that facilities at Wrigley are worst in baseball

Kenney estimates costs of $300 million over five off-seasons for renovations. #Cubs

Upper deck to be upgraded under proposal, with wood roof removed and rebuilt. Seats and concrete replaced in lower deck. #Cubs

Batting cages, bigger dugouts and clubhouse as well as new bi-level press box at Wrigley. Hey-hey! #Cubs

Plans call for "historic facades" to be preserved at Wrigley. #Cubs

Restroom expansion second in applause only that for Tony Campana. #Cubs

Seven weeks and $250,000 to build the joint in the first place. #Cubs

#Cubs will NOT play elsewhere while work is done.

#Cubs say fans want more game-day info and stats and like the LED board in RF
    Paul Sullivan:

Crane Kenney says Cubs will do more for players, families and seniors in restoration efforts.

Crane says Wrigley rehab will be completed over 5 seasons, cost $300 million.

Wooden roof to be removed, new grandstand roof. All seats in bowl removed and replaced. Undergroud batting cages.

Restrooms capacity increase by 42 percent. No word on troughs yet.

Crane says Wrigley rebuild is "the greatest restoration project ever."

Cubs won't have to play anywhere else during project, which will all be done during offseasons.
    Carrie Muskat:

Restoring Wrigley will cost $300 mill and take five offseasons. #Cubs

Applause at increasing restrooms 42 percent at Wrigley. #Cubs

#Cubs will not play elsewhere during renovation
    Jesse Rogers:

Wrigley renovation will cost $300 million

New underground batting cage,new clubhouse and weight training room. Upper deck seats totallt replaced.42 percent increase in bathroom space

Cubs will stay at Wrigley while renovation is going on
    Patrick Mooney:

Crane calls Wrigley facilities worst in MLB for players, says $300 million renovation would be phased in across five offseasons.

#Cubs execs visited Fenway Park, Lambeau Field and Rose Bowl to see how those iconic stadiums were renovated.

Crane: "We will not be playing elsewhere while we do this renovation." #Cubs
    Gordon Wittenmyer:

Plan also includes underground batting tunnel, expanded dugout, huge clubhouse.

Cost $300m and to take 5 years to complete.

Big applause for renovation presentation, especially for 42% increase in restroom facility.

Recent renovations of Fenway, Lambeau and Rose Bowl were examined for ideas, costs and pitfalls.

Crane says Cubs wont play anywhere else while this goes on, to big applause. Will be done in offseasons.

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    Nice. Sounds pretty intense.

vCash
    Brett Taylor:

By the way: the tenor of this renovation presentation is more "this is going to happen" than "this is what we hope happens." #CubsCon

Cubs not necessarily adding more luxury boxes, just making them better. Important revenue driver. #CubsCon

Cubs plan to add several new "club" areas, and a restaurant. #CubsCon

Cubs considering adding a second patio area, this one in left field, left of the bleachers. #CubsCon

And there's a proposed second LED board, this one in left field. #CubsCon

Wow. Actually discussing the Jumbotron. Just considering it at this point. The idea was booed, which, whateves. I'm into it. #CubsCon

Chronologically, improving Cubs clubhouse/facilities is first thing. Next offseason. #CubsCon

Financing question: Crane says, "make no mistake, this project will be funded by the Ricketts." Talks about relaxing restrictions. #CubsCon

More on financing: Cubs' position is, if you restrict us, then help us pay. Otherwise, drop the restrictions, and we'll pay. #CubsCon
    Bruce Miles:

#Cubs say they will add 6 new elevators to the park under renovation plan

#Cubs plan restaurant where old administrative offices are, on 3B side of building

Fans voice uneasiness over idea of video board. #Cubs promise no Kiss Cam

Crane says PSLs not on the table. #Cubs
    Paul Sullivan:

Cubs will eliminate LED board under CF bleachers for more concessions, add a restaurant in old office space.

Farmers markets, ice rink, movies and interactive area for kids in Triangle area. Parking won't be in plan there cuz congestion.

Cubs will also build a fan deck in LF to complement Patio in RF.

Cubs also exploring LED board in LF and video board with "real stats" and "no Kiss Cam."

Crane: "... PSLs are not on the table."

Crane says project will be funded by Ricketts family... with ease of city restrictions.
    Carrie Muskat:

#Cubs are considering adding video scoreboard

1st project will be home clubhouse at Wrigley, starting after 2013 season. #Cubs

Ricketts family will pay for Wrigley renovations. #Cubs
    Sahadev Sharma:

Cubs say they are considering a video board. So tough to make a sound judgement on that possibility w/out seeing an actual mock up
    Jesse Rogers:

Bigger suites part of the renovation at Wrigley

Fan Deck to left of leftfield bleachers...club below press box

More events like concerts and football games plus farmers market and ice rink in winter part of the plan for the wrigley area

Cubs are "considering" jumbo tron type thing w replays etc.. Considering. Touchy subject

Renovation would reduce seats by about 70

Crane: "Make no mistake project will be funded by Ricketts"

But only if Ricketts are allowed to do what they want with the park
    Chicago Cubs Online:

#Cubs plan on removing current LED board from underneath historic scoreboard, was added in 1983.

#Cubs plan to add LED board in left field similar to the one that was added in RF last year.

#Cubs plan on attacking clubhouse first. Kenney: we have to improve players' facilities

Kenney; The Ricketts family will fund the restoration project. Question is will they receive any help. #Cubs
    Patrick Mooney:

#Cubs considering another LED board in left field as well as a JumboTron for Wrigley.

Crane says PSLs are not on the table for renovated Wrigley.

I heard you were looking for me.

vCash
    A number of Twitter accounts are posting photos of the conceptual renderings, but none of great quality. Holding out for better images.

Carrie Muskat:

Note to visiting teams -- they will upgrade visitors clubhouse eventually. Home clubhouse is 1st. #Cubs

We'll have pictures of proposed changes at Wrigley later today. #Cubs
    The Cubs Saturday revealed a $300 million plan to restore Wrigley Field, which the Ricketts family is prepared to pay for. The plan will take five offseasons, and the Cubs will not have to play any of their games at another ballpark. The items on the long to do list include remodeling the home and visitor’s clubhouse, adding new batting cages that will be accessible in-game. The entire upper deck will have the wooden roof removed and new seating platforms will be installed. New concrete will be poured into the lower seating bowl. More restrooms will be added, more concessions stands, more restaurants. The landmark features will be not be changed.

The Cubs are working with architectural firms that have worked on Camden Yards, the Rose Bowl and Fenway Park. There will be a push to add some decorative touches that were on Wrigley Field when it was first built in 1914, such as ornamental metal work.

The Cubs asked fans about what they felt needed to be improved at Wrigley, what made it special, what was sacred, and responded via surveys. For example, 80 percent of fans surveyed said they liked the new LED scoreboard in right field. There are plans to add another in front of the left field bleachers. There also has been talk about adding a video scoreboard, but that has not been finalized.

Cubs GM Jed Hoyer said the current home clubhouse is 50 percent smaller than what most Major League teams, and they want to provide a first class setting.

The changes will begin after the 2013 season with the home clubhouse and lower left field area and the upper level in right. The changes will eventually reduce the seating capacity by 70 seats.

We’ll have drawings and more details later today on Cubs.com
    Last edited by Yagyu+; 01-19-2013 at 04:19 PM.

vCash
    Got the photos. Posting without permission. Let me know if these need to be removed.

Last edited by Yagyu+; 01-19-2013 at 05:52 PM.

vCash
    Cubs also exploring LED board in LF and video board with "real stats" and "no Kiss Cam."
    Thank ****ing God.

And major props to Yagyu for digging the pictures up. Awesome stuff.
    Last edited by CubbieSteve; 01-19-2013 at 04:31 PM.

vCash
    I want photos

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    Pretty detailed summary.
    Good find. Vine Line had some comprehensive coverage of most of the sessions last year. Seems like they do again:

Meet Cubs Baseball Management

From Draft Day to the Big Leagues

Dale Sveum and His Coaching Staff

Restoring Wrigley Field

vCash
    It looks like there moving the overhang back a significant amount and opening up the lower deck a lot more. Love that. I can't wait to see this finished.

vCash
    I'm disappointed they aren't getting rid of the poles for the lower deck. Also, they need to enhance some of the views of the lower deck. If you are too far back you can't even see the ball when it is hit on a low fly ball.

Other than that I'm excited they are making changes to the stadium. It's about time. Wrigley is so antiquated for the players. It's good to have people who are thinking forward in the organization.

vCash
    Looks awesome but:

Extensive renovations, and the plan is to do it over five offseasons. #CubsCon

That would set it up for 2018/2019, no? Right around the time the TV deal is set to expire right?

If they can get Wrigley to be as fan friendly as Camden Yards is...

vCash
    In the photo of the scoreboard you'll notice that the Cubs have scored eight runs on 12 hits, while the visiting Cardinals have scored two separate runs on one hit. Number 38 is pitching for the Cubs... Carlos Zambrano!

vCash
    Wow, those pictures look phenomenal! I dont think I could have imagined everything turning out this good.

Looks perfect. Cannot wait to see the final product.

vCash
    I hate the idea of a jumbotron but I also hate that stupid Toyota sign even more. Why dont they just replace it with a jumbotron and at least make some of the fans happy? Just dont use it for all that corny cheesy crap the rest of league uses it for and I could live with it.

Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast