Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gwrighter View Post
    I'll still maintain that Jonas wasn't the Raptors worst defender. He had his off nights for sure. & then he had his nights where he'd give Tim Duncan a harder time than he's used to. Val & Ed moved on a string together, Val isn't a good defender yet but he has the tools.
    Among this teams collection of big men, Jonas was the worse man defender. (Strength issue).

His length & energy contested an aged Duncan but in general he got abused in isolation due to a lack of strength. Made worse with Casey's refusal to double despite teams continually attacking him in the post & officials awarding apposing teams the rookie call..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by B2B View Post
    Among this teams collection of big men, Jonas was the worse man defender. (Strength issue).

His length & energy contested an aged Duncan but in general he got abused in isolation due to a lack of strength. Made worse with Casey's refusal to double despite teams continually attacking him in the post & officials awarding apposing teams the rookie call..
    Aaron Gray is a worse defender than Valanciunas, lol. Agree with the rest though.
    Raptors Franchise Checklist:
    Rebuild with young players [ ]
    Build contending team [ ]
    Host NBA All-Star Weekend [ ]
    Win Championship [ ]

vCash
    Aaron Gray is a worse defender than Valanciunas, lol. Agree with the rest though.
    Know your joking but the difference is minutes played. Jonas was logging starters minutes to begin the season & closing out games. During the win streak he was starting but Amir was closing out games reducing both his minutes & reliance.

vCash
    Great thread! A lot of great ideas on line-up combos and 2nd unit options. I'm happy with the way they've turned the season around. Quite frankly I think this season is just that... an opportunity to experiment, a time for trial and error, a time to try to rebuild some value in a couple of our players, see what we have in some young and typically less used guys, and compete at level that rewards us with enough wins that we aren't giving away a top 10 pick this year (and I'd rather give away the '13 pick than the '14 pick).
    Back to the thread... at this point, I'll just be happy when we get Val and Nani's fouls back in the line-up. Amir and Ed have been fantastic, but right now we're screwed if either of them get a couple of quick fouls, and both can do that!

vCash
    I'll still maintain that Jonas wasn't the Raptors worst defender. He had his off nights for sure. & then he had his nights where he'd give Tim Duncan a harder time than he's used to. Val & Ed moved on a string together, Val isn't a good defender yet but he has the tools.
    Val got absolutely abused by Duncan all game. It's why Casey switched Bargs on him near the end of the game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by North Yorker View Post
    Val got absolutely abused by Duncan all game. It's why Casey switched Bargs on him near the end of the game.
    Duncan had some 'fundamental' plays early but he didn't abuse Valanciunas all game. Also, Val was guarding Duncan at the end of the game where he got that clutch block.
    Raptors Franchise Checklist:
    Rebuild with young players [ ]
    Build contending team [ ]
    Host NBA All-Star Weekend [ ]
    Win Championship [ ]

vCash
    Duncan had some 'fundamental' plays early but he didn't abuse Valanciunas all game. Also, Val was guarding Duncan at the end of the game where he got that clutch block.
    Umm.. yea, Duncan absolutely dominated Jonas all game, you clearly mis-remember. Allow me to refresh your memory...

Note how Bargs is guarding Duncan in OT, the game went to 2OT. Bargs guarded him the last ~10 mins of the game, and did a much better job than Jonas.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by North Yorker View Post
    Umm.. yea, Duncan absolutely dominated Jonas all game, you clearly mis-remember. Allow me to refresh your memory...

Note how Bargs is guarding Duncan in OT, the game went to 2OT. Bargs guarded him the last ~10 mins of the game, and did a much better job than Jonas.
    Bargs has been in the league YEARS more than Jonas, that's an unfair comparison.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vampirate View Post
    Bargs has been in the league YEARS more than Jonas, that's an unfair comparison.
    Im aware, doesnt change the fact that Bargs is the much better post defender right now though. Jonas needs to add more weight and gain more experience and we'll have to deal with the growing pains as they come.

vCash
    Just watched Val dunk with both hands. He is very close I would say...

vCash
    Have they provided a more definitive timeframe for JV's return? Original report was 4-6 weeks and we are at 5 weeks. I want to see him back on the court.

vCash

Update !

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/01/27...raptors-lineup

Bargnani might beat Valanciunas back into Raptors lineup

With both Andrea Bargnani and Jonas Valanciunas due back sometime in the next week and a half or so, Casey’s frontcourt is going to get awfully crowded.

Casey said both Bargnani (torn right elbow ligament and strained right wrist) and Valanciunas (fractured metacarpal on right ring finger) have some more tests on their respective agendas, but with practice time both Sunday and Tuesday, Casey figures he’ll have a good idea where they are after that.

“If I was a betting man, I would say Andrea is ahead of Jonas because I think there’s still the fear of hitting that hand again (for Jonas),” Casey said before Saturday’s loss to Cleveland. “I’m sure he’ll have to wear some sort of pad when he does return.”

Bargnani was shooting from distance on Sunday and showing no effects of either an elbow or wrist injury.

Casey said both men will return to a different way of doing things than what had been going on when they last played.

“The thing is incorporating them back into how we want to play and how we play now,” Casey said. “It is a little different than how we were. We were more play call specific when Andrea was at the four. Now we would like the ball to find him and it will. The ball always finds your excellent shooters. The way we are playing our pick-and-roll game now, instead of running so many specific plays for him, let the ball find him. That’s how it has been moving for us lately.”

Most interesting will be where each gets his playing time, whether it’s with the starters or coming off the bench.

It’s no secret that in their absence, Ed Davis and Amir Johnson have shown to be a very good starting tandem.

Casey expects the returns of Valanciunas and Bargnani will benefit everyone.

“Nobody’s role will suffer,” Casey said. “It will just enhance everyone’s.”

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234